5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road package = more payload/towing?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2018-07-15 11.46.05.jpg

Here is the chart for @Jared B comparison.

I didn't show the whole list on my 2013 2500 comparison, but it does give a base weight...5380.62

Getting closer.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Not a single salesman at any dealership I went to to look at trucks understood that every option you add to a truck lowers its payload. It's so hush hush they don't even know. That was 5 dealerships, 6 salesmen, plus one sales manager who had no clue, with the sales manager actually trying to say that all trucks within a trim level will be the same regardless of options. I actually walked the salesman out to the lot and looked at 2 Laramie's with just a couple different options and it was 150lbs different. He was obviously shocked, and his sales manager looked a little humbled when we showed him the pictures of the door stickers.

Spread the knowledge, most of them are too busy trying to sell the trucks to actually research them for some reason.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a single salesman at any dealership I went to to look at trucks understood that every option you add to a truck lowers its payload. It's so hush hush they don't even know. That was 5 dealerships, 6 salesmen, plus one sales manager who had no clue, with the sales manager actually trying to say that all trucks within a trim level will be the same regardless of options. I actually walked the salesman out to the lot and looked at 2 Laramie's with just a couple different options and it was 150lbs different. He was obviously shocked, and his sales manager looked a little humbled when we showed him the pictures of the door stickers.

Spread the knowledge, most of them are too busy trying to sell the trucks to actually research them for some reason.
Wow...that's fundamental knowledge for any motor vehicle.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the trailer sales place and you will see it even worse. Go to a campground and tell me people should be towing why they do.

Why I started the thread in towing that I did. You can see the Ram 1500 can do things, but it can't do all things at once.

And Ford owners are even worse as they have all been made to believe their truck is max tow...my boss almost died because of this (well had the crap scared out of him)

It is sad how many people really don't research their purchase only to find later it won't do what they thought...and that is everything these days.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That's par for the course. I know when I bought my 2014 Outdoorman the salesman didn't have a clue that you could get a rear sliding window with rear defrost .All the vehicles on the lot they can't know everything about them. We customers have all the time in the world to research the vehicle we want.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
That's par for the course. I know when I bought my 2014 Outdoorman the salesman didn't have a clue that you could get a rear sliding window with rear defrost .All the vehicles on the lot they can't know everything about them. We customers have all the time in the world to research the vehicle we want.
At the same time, there aren't *that* many configurations that a solid few hours of research couldn't get the salespeople to at least know what they're talking about 90% of the time.
I test drove a F-150 Limited a few months ago and the salesman didn't know the Limited was the top trim vice the Platinum. I test drove a DT 1500 Limited a few weeks ago and the salesman didn't know that the Longhorn was above the Laramie trim, or that the rear seats reclined, or that the tow mirrors didn't allow the 360° camera. For the DT test drive, at least, the reception lady called that salesman over when she heard I wanted to test drive a Ram instead of one of the other vehicles they sold, so I would *assume* that he was supposedly one of the more knowledgeable Ram salesmen.

RT70808

Reaction score
At the same time, there aren't *that* many configurations that a solid few hours of research couldn't get the salespeople to at least know what they're talking about 90% of the time.
I test drove a F-150 Limited a few months ago and the salesman didn't know the Limited was the top trim vice the Platinum. I test drove a DT 1500 Limited a few weeks ago and the salesman didn't know that the Longhorn was above the Laramie trim, or that the rear seats reclined, or that the tow mirrors didn't allow the 360° camera. For the DT test drive, at least, the reception lady called that salesman over when she heard I wanted to test drive a Ram instead of one of the other vehicles they sold, so I would *assume* that he was supposedly one of the more knowledgeable Ram salesmen.
It’s horrible, when I bought my 14 Cherokee trail hawk I told them I wanted the tow package from the factory ( bigger brakes, transmission cooler etc..) I got a call a few days later and the salesman said “our service department will install a hitch” I refused to take possession of the keys told him it was unacceptable and walked. If I had such lack of product knowledge at my job wouldn’t be my job.

Users who are viewing this thread