5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road package = more payload/towing?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw on another site that a dealer told a customer placing an order for a new truck that if he ordered the Off Road package the truck would have slightly higher payload (+30lbs) and towing capacity (+200lbs) due to the extra heavy duty shocks on the off road package.

Can anyone confirm this or heard of this? The rating differences would be minor but may make for a better tow if true. I’ll take all the payload capacity I can get.

In the Limited trim 4x4 I am looking at, the payload numbers are down around 1400, that’s 275lbs less that my current truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are getting some payload stickers. Check out @alacombe post about his offroad truck.

This is something we discussed, and it is a possibility, but no concrete evidence yet

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1435 off road quad cab 4x4 6'4

1428 limited crew 5'7 4x4

Not real sure...also will have to see if the quad or crew have a higher gvwr...be back soon

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would also think the offroad would be less payload because of the protection group and stickers (ha)

But the quad 6'4 says 1950 and the crew 5'7 says 1800...we discussed the way they figure it in another thread....so that says @alacombe is down 515 pounds. You can check out the rest for your particular interest.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would also think the offroad would be less payload because of the protection group and stickers (ha)

But the quad 6'4 says 1950 and the crew 5'7 says 1800...we discussed the way they figure it in another thread....so that says @alacombe is down 515 pounds. You can check out the rest for your particular interest.
I agree, the more I think about it the less likely it is to be true. That off-road package has to weigh something and that weight must subtract from the GVWR OF 7100lbs. Increasing the towing rating?...maybe.

@alacombe has the same 7100 GVWR (based on the grey door sticker he posted) and its a quad cab so it should weigh less than the crew, all else being equal. However his payload is right in line with the Limited crew numbers we’ve seen. I would have expected a higher payload number from a Laramie Quad Cab if this rumor were true.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, the more I think about it the less likely it is to be true. That off-road package has to weigh something and that weight must subtract from the GVWR OF 7100lbs. Increasing the towing rating?...maybe.

@alacombe has the same 7100 GVWR (based on the grey door sticker he posted) and its a quad cab so it should weigh less than the crew, all else being equal. However his payload is right in line with the Limited crew numbers we’ve seen. I would have expected a higher payload number from a Laramie Quad Cab if this rumor were true.
I think with al my add ons this is what is affecting it. Truck is nearly loaded.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think with al my add ons this is what is affecting it. Truck is nearly loaded.
Don’t get me wrong, you have a respectable payload number for a loaded Laramie and it’s a great number compared to the previous generation.

When I look at your build I see that you have a quad cab (vs crew) and no air suspension. These two differences should make your truck approximately 225lbs lighter than a comparably equipped Limited 4x4 Crew. Yet the payload is very close to well optioned Limited 4x4 Crew cabs we’ve seen. I was just expecting to see a higher number.

I’m trying to figure, as close as I can, what the payload number would be for the build I am considering. I haven’t cracked the code yet but the more info the better. Thanks for posting your payload sticker.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Guys, I forgot where I got this - might have been the RAM website but here was their advertise payload and towing numbers..

Attachments

• Ram1500-towchart.png
    Ram1500-towchart.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 69

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very normal. Advertised payload is only applicable to the lowest trim available for each configuration (engine/cab/bed/driveline combination) with no additional options. Higher trims and additional options add weight which normally reduces real world payload.

The actual payload capacity of each vehicle is different and is listed on a sticker inside the drivers door.

Last edited:

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Very normal. Advertised payload is only applicable to the lowest trim available for each configuration (engine/cab/bed/driveline combination) with no additional options. Higher trims and additional options add weight which normally reduces real world payload.
Ahh I never knew that! Good to know thanks.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the manufacturers towing charts can be misleading. For example, I see people all the time on these forums saying that they are ordering a Limited trim truck with 1800+ lbs of payload when in reality they will get ~1400. The difference can be significant.

In my case I tow a travel trailer that weighs just 6400lbs (loaded) BUT has ~900lbs of tongue weight when loaded for camping. That would leave just 500lbs for passengers, accessories and everything in the bed. That weight adds up real quick.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...et-my-needs-or-am-i-waiting-for-the-2500.437/

I discuss this here in this thread...post 2 is about how they get the numbers.

I almost qualify as two passengers.

This is why in order to get your real deal capacity you have to get you and your truck weighed...then subtract that number from GVWR...that gives you useable payload. Then subtract that number from GCVWR and that gives you max towing...but remember your tongue weight takes away from payload and any extra payload takes away from your tongue weight.

And all of it is dependent on tire load and hitch capacity.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely. I’m a big proponent of getting your truck and truck/trailer combo weighed to know your actual weights and make sure you are within the capacity of your vehicles.

For instance, on my current truck the towing chart says 1900 payload. The payload sticker says 1675. So I go to the scales and weight is 5440 with only a full tank of fuel, driver and installed accessories (hard tonneau and bed side step); no other payload. GVWR is 6800 leaving available payload of 1360. You’ll never really know without getting it weighed.

Of course it’s a little different when you are trying to determine the payload rating of a truck that you are considering to ORDER. That’s where I am now. So all I can do is try to get info from people who have had their new trucks delivered. I just don’t want to pull the trigger on a new truck only to find out I’m over capacity from the start.

It sure would be nice to get some scale weights on these new trucks. Hint, hint. ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We almost got one, but I can't even remeber who it was now.

Glad to know you weren't fpoles by the numbers and knew you needed to do more research...I have been trying to move any payload stickers to that thread about them.

Hope we can get some more and get some good ideas on how to guestimate it.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
This is very educational. This will be my first truck and I thought I did all my research! Apparently I did not. This is extremely misleading especially to any first time truck buyers. I wish the manufacturers would be more explicit about this.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s almost a hush, hush subject for the manufacturers and the dealers CERTAINLY won’t offer up that info. They want to sell you that higher optioned truck where their profit margins are best. Don’t think that this only applies to Ram trucks. It’s the same for all the manufacturers.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
It’s almost a hush, hush subject for the manufacturers and the dealers CERTAINLY won’t offer up that info. They want to sell you that higher optioned truck where their profit margins are best. Don’t think that this only applies to Ram trucks. It’s the same for all the manufacturers.
Yeah. I had to check Ford because I swear I saw payload and capacity ratings for their platinum trim, but I was wrong. They only show those numbers for engine/bed/axle combo like you mentioned.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
When I take my 2016 out later today I'll snap a pic of the payload sticker just so you guys can compare the 5thgen nunbers to the 4th gen. My truck is a loaded crew 4x4.

Users who are viewing this thread