5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-Road Group (ORG) Questions

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting really close to making a purchase decision and have found this site extremely valuable. Just a couple of questions I couldn’t find great answers for.

The spec sheet on the shocks on the ORG are pretty ambiguous. I understand they have a longer spring, which achieves about 1” lift. Curious if anyone has any comparison on ride quality for the ORG vs not. I’m hopeful the taller springs don’t feel substantially stiffer on the road.

Are the shocks labeled by name brand? I’m unfortunately not sure what they are. I’ve used 2” and 2.5” Bilsteins in the past, so curious if these are similar.

I was leaning towards an anti-slip diff, and see the ORG comes with the e-locker, which I believe is a basic open diff when not locked. My current truck (Tacoma) also has the e-locker, and I find I get a lot of rear wheel slip on wet roads. Now, I don’t have traction control, so perhaps this is less an issue on the Ram. I’m a bit hung on this choice, is there a substantial difference in traction between the two?

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Getting really close to making a purchase decision and have found this site extremely valuable. Just a couple of questions I couldn’t find great answers for.

The spec sheet on the shocks on the ORG are pretty ambiguous. I understand they have a longer spring, which achieves about 1” lift. Curious if anyone has any comparison on ride quality for the ORG vs not. I’m hopeful the taller springs don’t feel substantially stiffer on the road.

Are the shocks labeled by name brand? I’m unfortunately not sure what they are. I’ve used 2” and 2.5” Bilsteins in the past, so curious if these are similar.

I was leaning towards an anti-slip diff, and see the ORG comes with the e-locker, which I believe is a basic open diff when not locked. My current truck (Tacoma) also has the e-locker, and I find I get a lot of rear wheel slip on wet roads. Now, I don’t have traction control, so perhaps this is less an issue on the Ram. I’m a bit hung on this choice, is there a substantial difference in traction between the two?
I believe they’re the same brand (Hitachi, maybe?) as the non-ORG shocks, just “tuned for off road use”, per FCA; they’re definitely not Bilsteins-branded.

I have both the ORG and air suspension, so my ride quality is great.

There’s been a ton of discussion on differentials in previous threads. Long story short, you should be just fine with an open diff in most situations, as you also have traction control and auto 4WD (presuming 4WD non-Rebel) to assist you. And the ELocker provides extreme traction in situations where you might need it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a Rebel and so far this winter I’ve only used 4WD once , however the Rebels come with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs . I’m not sure which tires the ORG has which will also make a difference .

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’m currently running Duratracs on my Tacoma and the traction is not great. It’s possible it’s due to tire age, as I’ve had them on for quite a while now.

I think I’ve legitimately used my locker twice, even though I have lived in mountainous regions for about 9yrs of my ownership. Once, the locker was absolutely amazing. The other time I locked in... wow, I’ve never gotten my truck stuck faster!

I suppose I’m most concerned for ride quality vs the non ORG shocks now. Otherwise, I’m generally in favor of the package. Curious if anyone has direct correlation between ORG and non-ORG ride quality, all else equal.

moparleo51

Reaction score
i was quite surprised how well my truck rides on the ORG group. i have the 20` wheels with the falken wildpeaks and it rides better than my 2017 sport ram i had previous. they are all terrian tire, . it really is a nice package to have.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Rebel and so far this winter I’ve only used 4WD once , however the Rebels come with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs . I’m not sure which tires the ORG has which will also make a difference .
They come with Falkens that—while not as aggressive-looking aa the Rebels—provide excellent traction and a quiet ride.

ldoh

Reaction score
Mine drives great with the ORG. but I opted for 18" wheels versus firmer low profile 20's. The 1" lift isn't very noticeable.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I have the ORG and Faulkn tires - wouldn’t dream of trading them for the Duratracks.

eyeguy

Reaction score
I have org and the ride seems good and the tires do well on snow and ice. Have been pleasantly surprised at the good control on some slippery roads. No problems not having the lsd in wet or even icy conditions. If i want more acceleration security and roads are slick just throw in in 4 auto.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have org and the ride seems good and the tires do well on snow and ice. Have been pleasantly surprised at the good control on some slippery roads. No problems not having the lsd in wet or even icy conditions. If i want more acceleration security and roads are slick just throw in in 4 auto.

Thank you for that info. I’m really struggling to find what I’m looking for with the Anti-spin diff. I’ve been a little hung on it, but in all honesty my existing truck doesn’t have it either. I do notice a fair bit of wheel spin on wet roads, but don’t have traction control so not sure if it’s as big (or bigger) issue with the Ram.

Glad to hear some real feedback. I like the ORG, but understand it’s an open diff when not locked.

2020GCM

Reaction score
Yes, open diff when not locked......I went from a 2004 Silverado with an automatic rear locker to my 2020 Ram with ORG and the ride is soooo much better....through this winter I haven't missed the auto locker as the 4-auto has done the job....for winter duty I did change out the 20's for 18's with BFG KO2's and it has been great!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ORG here as well and it rides nice. I drove this truck and a Non-ORP Larmie back-to-back. You could tell this rode a bit rougher, but that also could have been due to the fact the Larmie had different wheels/tires. As you can guess, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I haven't noticed and huge disadvantage to the locker over a LS. I've punched it a few times and got some spin, but the TC/SC quickly tookcare of that.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 4x4 Limited non-ORG. I live in Alaska where we have snow and ice on the ground for about 6 straight months. I have the limited slip differential and much prefer that over a locker which is useless in day to day driving unless you get stuck. If you have a truck with air ride you can always raise the suspension manually if you need extra clearance.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie with the ORG rides so much better than my 2017 Rebel did. The Rebel had the air suspension, but also had the 10-ply tires. Two of my aunts (both in their 70's) rode in the back seat of my truck to a Christmas party back in December. They were both impressed with the ride, and one commented that she felt like she was riding in a luxury car. The Falken tires which come with the ORG worked great this past winter. I was thinking about putting on dedicated snow tires, but I'm glad I saved my money. I never drove any 1500 without the ORG for comparison, but don't decide against it because you're concerned about the ride. You have nothing to worry about.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

I’m going with the ORG. Decided on a truck tonight, just need to go complete the deal. Really looking forward to it.

First things first, I need to swap those Laramie wheels!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the 1” lift a front only taller spring, or does ORG modify the back ride height as well?

I believe I read that level kits were difficult to come by for ORG package. Is that true? I’d love to lift the front enough to level the truck, or at least have it very close.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the 1” lift a front only taller spring, or does ORG modify the back ride height as well?

I believe I read that level kits were difficult to come by for ORG package. Is that true? I’d love to lift the front enough to level the truck, or at least have it very close.

Yes, the front and rear are lifted. I put a 1.5" leveling spacer (Street Rays from eBay for $27) on my truck (North Edition, so I guess it's got ORG by default) and my truck is now sitting 39" exactly from ground to lip of fender front and rear. Couldn't get it more perfectly level.

For the OP, yes the ORG rides rougher but it's still not bad. I like it.

As far as Limited Slip goes, everybody has their own opinion but I hate it. It makes driving more dangerous in ice and snow because the rear end wants to kick out to the right instead of pushing the truck in a straight line. Also, the clutches wear out eventually. And, every fluid change requires additive in the perfect amount to prevent chatter of the clutches while simultaneously allowing them to bite in the correct proportions. Just a PITA in my opinion. So I LOVE my open diffs with e-locker.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your input. I ended up making a purchase on a ORP truck last month and am just about to pull the trigger on a set of 5100s to lift the front to level the truck. Absolutely loving it, thus far!
406c0a174a368c0f6db3d87092d89fb8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread