5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Group (ORG) or eTorque? Can't order both

JeffK2019

Reaction score
Placing an order for a Limited, basically everything but the 22 inch wheels (prefer the 20's). No Tow Group. My problem is the ORG and eTorque can't be ordered together.

At my dealer ordering my Limited - if eTorque is selected the ORG gets grayed out. I had read somewhere else on here it's a weight issue and the eTorque, ORG and Pano roof combo may never be available?

Question - what exactly am I getting with the ORG. Skid plates I know I can add easily. Heavier duty Hitachi shocks? I assume I can add off road type shocks later. Are there other changes to the suspension? I know a 1 inch lift comes from something. Also and this might seem silly but can you order the OFF ROAD 4x4 sticker for the bed as an aftermarket item? I drive some very beat up farm roads with pot holes - main reason I was after the ORG. Doubt I will ever actually take it off road other than a farm ditch bank or two.

Obviously the eTorque benefits I can't add on later. I either have it or I don't. Gas mileage is an issue for me as I use this truck for my job so even 1 or 2 MPG will help. But more importantly I think is the smoother transition from stopped that I am hearing about. Having driven vehicles that have a dramatic start/stop function - very annoying. Is the difference eTorque to regular HEMI that different on the start/stop function.

Input? If I can order EITHER the eTorque or the ORG which would you suggest? Frustrated I can't get both.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Yes this has been brought up before... When I ordered my limited in Jan I couldn't get the ORG and Etorque together. If I wanted the 6'4 bed it was an option to add both.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
The ORG contains:
18.0–Inch x 8.0–Inch Premium Paint Cast Wheels
E–Locker Rear Axle
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Fuel Tank Skid Plate
Full Size Spare Tire
Hill Descent Control
LT275 /65R18C OWL On / Off–Road Tires
Off–Road Decals
Steering Gear Skid Plate
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate

If you're that concerned by MPG and don't need the above equipment, then all that stuff will do for you is add weight, about 135 lbs. vs 80 for etorque. However, you should check the etorque threads about MPG issues people are experiencing before you decide.

klail

Reaction score
The ORG contains:
18.0–Inch x 8.0–Inch Premium Paint Cast Wheels
E–Locker Rear Axle
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Fuel Tank Skid Plate
Full Size Spare Tire
Hill Descent Control
LT275 /65R18C OWL On / Off–Road Tires
Off–Road Decals
Steering Gear Skid Plate
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate

If you're that concerned by MPG and don't need the above equipment, then all that stuff will do for you is add weight, about 135 lbs. vs 80 for etorque. However, you should check the etorque threads about MPG issues people are experiencing before you decide.
The only change I would make to this list is because you are ordering the Limited trim, your wheels will indeed be the 20" you want. The 18" are for the other trims.

I have the ORG and I really don't see a difference day to day. The tires are a little different as @MDBumblebee mentioned and I heard they are a little less fuel efficient because they are softer or something. Not 100% sure. I doubt I will use the E-Locker as I don't really do much hardcore offroading.

I do like the 1" lift but it is not a huge difference. It just means I don't have the option with the air suspension for offroad 1 and 2. I only have offroad one which is like offroad 2 for trucks that don't have the ORG because the "Normal" ride height take the place for offroad 1.

I am also reading that the etorque doesn't make the biggest difference and for the price, I didn't see the value.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

noanoa

Reaction score
see

Attachments

• Nathan Hendricks updated Limited order with Rambox.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 25

pinkerton

Reaction score
It will take 100k miles to yield $1,000 with 1mpg savings at $2.50/gallon. IMO, that’s a terrible ROI for a system that (although is extremely cool) will ultimately become a maintenance risk. No finace professional would ever justify such an investment. Again, I’m very impressed with system - yet no way would buy at that price for that return.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if it changed, I have a limited with everything except tow mirrors and an engine block heater

pinkerton

Reaction score
Ye
I wouldn't order either one on a limited. I would order the protection group and no etorque. Save some cash, save some weight.
Yeah. And you can get limited slip if desired. Mine has ORG and I’m having the stickers removed and will never need the skid plates. I don’t need/want ORG but wanted a truck that happened to have it.

SP97

Reaction score
I would weigh your priorities. I have the e-torque and at this point I like it. I do not have the ORG. I wanted it but it was not available at the time. Most of the ORG you can order post delivery. Skid plates and tow hooks can be picked up with relative ease. The only thing aside from the stickers is the hill decent control, which if you are off-road a lot can be a big deal. If not, just buy the other add on pieces as you can.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
The best advise I could give is step back a sec and really evaluate what you need vs. what you will use vs. what you want. If you're not going off roading or if the "off" roads you will be going on could also be navigated by a Honda Accord, then don't buy the ORG. But, if you want the fancy sticker, and the hill decent control... Then buy it. If you're already at a limited, you're really not going to go wrong. Get the gear ratios right. Get the level 1. Consider the rambox. ... Either way get what you'll use.

JeffK2019

Reaction score
It will take 100k miles to yield $1,000 with 1mpg savings at $2.50/gallon. IMO, that’s a terrible ROI for a system that (although is extremely cool) will ultimately become a maintenance risk. No finace professional would ever justify such an investment. Again, I’m very impressed with system - yet no way would buy at that price for that return.

I do love the technology and it's the main reason I swayed from the twin turbo Ford I had planned to order. One aspect, which I hate in fact on the Ford when I rented one for a week, is the Start/Stop function and how very annoying it was to me. I get it's a critical aspect in trying to lower fuel used. My understanding was with the eTorque system the start/stop was hardly noticeable. If that kept me from turning it off all the time - could be tremendously helpful. Of course I don't know the "feel" difference on start/stop between the eTorque and the regular HEMI. For my job which is in agriculture I tend to start and stop a lot on farms, in fields, etc.. and so potentially I felt I could easily see the MPG spread. Also I live in CA, where unfortunately I regularly pay well over $3/gal for gas (and it was not long ago it was over $4/gal). My company compensates me some for fuel but mileage and gas price do make a difference.

I finally have an appointment with the GM tomorrow to get the order done. We tried this Jan 2nd, then Feb 6th, both times having items gray out in restriction on placing the order. I will attempt to get everything I want again but if we have the same issues at this point I am going to pass on the eTorque and hopefully get everything else I want......but will try one more time to include it. I expect it to be a great truck either way and frankly am just tired of waiting - need to get the order process ticking.

JeffK2019

Reaction score
The best advise I could give is step back a sec and really evaluate what you need vs. what you will use vs. what you want. If you're not going off roading or if the "off" roads you will be going on could also be navigated by a Honda Accord, then don't buy the ORG. But, if you want the fancy sticker, and the hill decent control... Then buy it. If you're already at a limited, you're really not going to go wrong. Get the gear ratios right. Get the level 1. Consider the rambox. ... Either way get what you'll use.

Oh believe me I have gone round and round trying to decide. Driving my wife crazy. I tend to over analyze everything! I will probably never go off road with the truck. The main reason I had considered the ORG option was the upgraded suspension/shocks - I travel a lot of very beat up farm roads as in many CA counties they don't get much maintenance and the pot holes can get fairly large. And while i try to slow down and avoid them the fact is I end up hitting a fair share throughout my work day. I assumed the ORG with the beefier suspension would help some with this. Plus I just think the trucks with ORG look better (from ride height to tires to yes the sticker!).

The other aspect is I see more people questioning the real value in the eTorque in terms of MPG savings and then the concerns over longevity. I run some high mileage and typically put at least 150k miles on before I trade in so I hope most systems can hold up long enough. I know there are no guarantees.

Good discussion, thanks for the input everyone.

Truckin

Reaction score
The ORP has some options you might find useful while driving in fields, especially wet fields-that would be the E-locker which locks the rear axle with just the push of a button. Also the extra 1 inch ride height and skid plates could come in handy...Anyway good luck with whatever you decide!
My 16 Ram has been flawless with over 72,000 miles and looking forward to receiving my new Longhorn with the same 5.7 Hemi but with 3.92 gears (have 3.21 in my 16) Also when I drove the e-Torque, the stop/start, to me was very annoying...

JeffK2019

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today finally.

I can confirm again sitting with the GM ordering that ORG not available with eTorque motor selected and the 5 ft 7 in box. If you select the long bed - it frees up the ORG and eTorque together. We tried a number of different ways around this with no luck.

I sadly decided to pass on eTorque and picked up the ORG and everything else I wanted. Hopefully no regrets.

Limited 4x4 Crew Cab - Patriot Blue - 5ft 7 in box - Body Color Bumper Group
V8 HEMI, no eTorque
Rambox Cargo Management System - 33 gallon fuel tank
Panoramic sunroof
Level 1 Equipment Group - Off Road Group - Bed Utility Group
Trailer Brake Control

MSRP of $67,690

Of note - the Bed Utility Group went up $100 from a week ago - $445 to $545!

Thanks again for all the input.

klail

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger today finally.

I can confirm again sitting with the GM ordering that ORG not available with eTorque motor selected and the 5 ft 7 in box. If you select the long bed - it frees up the ORG and eTorque together. We tried a number of different ways around this with no luck.

I sadly decided to pass on eTorque and picked up the ORG and everything else I wanted. Hopefully no regrets.

Limited 4x4 Crew Cab - Patriot Blue - 5ft 7 in box - Body Color Bumper Group
V8 HEMI, no eTorque
Rambox Cargo Management System - 33 gallon fuel tank
Panoramic sunroof
Level 1 Equipment Group - Off Road Group - Bed Utility Group
Trailer Brake Control

MSRP of $67,690

Of note - the Bed Utility Group went up $100 from a week ago - $445 to $545!

Thanks again for all the input.
You'll love it I'm sure. Don't forget to post pictures when it comes in!

Users who are viewing this thread