5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off pavement travel/dispersed camping in Pennsylvania. Or anywhere

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i need to go with you
I have very easy to follow Google Map routes of this area. If I could free up time easier I would gladly show you around.

I also have GPX files for routes too...if you have another navigation app you use.

I travel these roads as often as I can...but time to do it is harder to come by these days

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I wish I had some forest roads near me.
Im from Pittsburgh area and the closest thing is down in WV, Monongahela National Forest/Canaan Valley.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I had some forest roads near me.
Im from Pittsburgh area and the closest thing is down in WV, Monongahela National Forest/Canaan Valley.
It says MNF is over 3 hrs from you.

The forest roads I am on are not much over 2 hrs from you.

Allegheny National Forest is pretty close to Pittsburgh too.

Forbes state forest is right bellow Pittsburgh

Central Pennsylvania Overlanding

Check this out. It works in Google maps to show you were they are.

The pics show where abouts all this is.

You got options.

Let me know. I can provide more info if you are interested.

Screenshot_20211229-080512.png Screenshot_20220112-121319.png 2021_PLP_locator_August_v1_lettersize_copy_752c2435-d86c-48e1-8e32-f435e594f63e~12.jpg 2021_PLP_locator_August_v1_lettersize_copy_752c2435-d86c-48e1-8e32-f435e594f63e.jpg

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
It says MNF is over 3 hrs from you.

The forest roads I am on are not much over 2 hrs from you.

Allegheny National Forest is pretty close to Pittsburgh too.

Forbes state forest is right bellow Pittsburgh

Central Pennsylvania Overlanding

Check this out. It works in Google maps to show you were they are.

The pics show where abouts all this is.

You got options.

Let me know. I can provide more info if you are interested.

View attachment 117693 View attachment 117694 View attachment 117695 View attachment 117696
Ohiopyle and Forbes State Forest would be closest for sure.
I downloaded the "OnX Offroad" maps app for the free trial period. It was really helpful to get an idea of what was where.
There does seem to be some trails/roads in those 2 areas, but nothing like the stuff in central PA, NW PA, or WV. No nice long loops or roads/trails that are always open. Mostly hit or miss access.
It would be so cool to have this stuff really close, like within 30min haha.
I travel all over for work, but always have my work truck or van.
I was just in St Marys for 2 weeks, working in Kane, PA. Going back there this Saturday. But again, wont have my truck unfortunatly.

What is that blue line in the Cook Forest ANF area? And the blue dots?

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ohiopyle and Forbes State Forest would be closest for sure.
I downloaded the "OnX Offroad" maps app for the free trial period. It was really helpful to get an idea of what was where.
There does seem to be some trails/roads in those 2 areas, but nothing like the stuff in central PA, NW PA, or WV. No nice long loops or roads/trails that are always open. Mostly hit or miss access.
I travel all over for work, but always have my work truck or van.
I was just in St Marys for 2 weeks, working in Kane, PA. Going back there this Saturday. But again, wont have my truck unfortunatly.

What is that blue line in the Cook Forest ANF area? And the blue dots?
Those are my routes I am working on.

Green is completed scouted documented.

Red is researched routes and ready.

Yellow is a secondary route that is researched.

And the blue line in Cook Forest with dots is a route that is only in the planning stages.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The set in point for Rothrock and Moshannon are just around 30 mins from my house.

I drive through them when heading to Clearfield/Dubois or State College rather than taking the highway.

I hate the highway...lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That green route that starting on Strong Mountain Road going through Bald Eagle State Forest and Poe Valley State Park looks nice.
That is one of my vista and fall foliage routes.

Lots of Beautiful vistas to see on it. And it gets you deep into the forest away from others.

Also takes you past a few of the motorized campsites. And past all 3 state parks there...Poe Valley Poe Paddy and Reeds Gap.

It is one of my favorites.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is one of my vista and fall foliage routes.

Lots of Beautiful vistas to see on it. And it gets you deep into the forest away from others.

Also takes you past a few of the motorized campsites. And past all 3 state parks there...Poe Valley Poe Paddy and Reeds Gap.

It is one of my favorites.
So, would it make sense to get to the New Lancaster Valley Wilderness Lodge, then get on Red Ridge Road and go from there?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone not familiar with forest roads...

Yesterday's thaw with today's freeze...make for treacherous conditions.

They do not maintain the roads and do not offer recovery services.

And to any one not familiar with elevation.

In PA the valley around the forests are usually about 600 to 700 feet above sea level.

Then as you get near 1200 feet the weather really changes. At 1800 feet a whole different world and then around the 2200 foot mark...it all goes a different way.

Pic shows the dry valley...the melted snow at 1200 feet covered roads at 1800 and then 2200 feet with over 6 inches of melted frozen danger...lol. Screenshot_20211026-112355~2.png

All the State Forests have ice warnings out. Just be prepared to self rescue. Tire chains are a must and be prepared to spend the night any time you go.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone not familiar with forest roads...

Yesterday's thaw with today's freeze...make for treacherous conditions.

They do not maintain the roads and do not offer recovery services.

And to any one not familiar with elevation.

In PA the valley around the forests are usually about 600 to 700 feet above sea level.

Then as you get near 1200 feet the weather really changes. At 1800 feet a whole different world and then around the 2200 foot mark...it all goes a different way.

Pic shows the dry valley...the melted snow at 1200 feet covered roads at 1800 and then 2200 feet with over 6 inches of melted frozen danger...lol. View attachment 117713

All the State Forests have ice warnings out. Just be prepared to self rescue. Tire chains are a must and be prepared to spend the night any time you go.
Yeah I will not be going in winter lol most likely summer or early fall.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay cool, and the roads are what, dirt/gravel mix, mostly?
Some of the roads are 4x4 High clearance...drivable trails.

I think i shared pics earlier in the thread. Most of the state forests in Central PA have a rock base...so not much mud...but there are run off or washout spots that can be.

Right now we got upwards of 12 inches of snow...with about 2 inches of ice under it.

Stongs Man road is a drivable trail...steep, large rocks, washouts, mud.

Red Ridge Rd is a forest road improved dirt/gravel.

The road up out at Poe Party is extremely rocky with some tight switchback.

Undergrowth does block the trails...not so bad right now...but all roads are wide enough to fit...but pinstripes will happen. 20200301_133211.jpg 20200301_132439.jpg 20200621_141059.jpg 20200621_141215.jpg 20200621_141715.jpg 20210508_174404.jpg

First pics are Strong Mtn and last is red ridge road

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of the roads are 4x4 High clearance...drivable trails.

I think i shared pics earlier in the thread. Most of the state forests in Central PA have a rock base...so not much mud...but there are run off or washout spots that can be.

Right now we got upwards of 12 inches of snow...with about 2 inches of ice under it.

Stongs Man road is a drivable trail...steep, large rocks, washouts, mud.

Red Ridge Rd is a forest road improved dirt/gravel.

The road up out at Poe Party is extremely rocky with some tight switchback.

Undergrowth does block the trails...not so bad right now...but all roads are wide enough to fit...but pinstripes will happen. View attachment 117714 View attachment 117715 View attachment 117716 View attachment 117717 View attachment 117718 View attachment 117719

First pics are Strong Mtn and last is red ridge road
So pretty :love:

Yeah, Red Ridge seems a bit more my speed right now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread