5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM verses Aftermarket brakes

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hey all,

My local dealer just bumped the price of brakes through the roof. Wondering if anyone uses aftermarket pads or rotors. I’m told the $500 difference is negligible in performance but may not get as many miles out of them

thoughts?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do all my own brakes,(haven't had to do them yet on my truck though), and I NEVER use OEM stuff, way too expensive, and there is plenty of decent pads and rotors out there for faaaaarrrrr less $. I usually get 15-20% off from Advance.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had to change the brakes on a 5th gen yet so I can't speak to the complexity but I use R1 Concepts pads and rotors on all my vehicles. R1 might not be the cheapest (def cheaper than OEM) but by far the best brakes and rotors I have ever used. Link below......

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't know about the rears yet, but there is nothing special/complex about our trucks front brakes. You can pop off a wheel and replace the pads in under 10 minutes.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Power stop has good options, they perform much better than stock and are reasonably priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used Power Stop rotors and pads on three different cars, great product (y)

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
shop around on ebay or other online sites, can usually find OEM pads and rotors for half the cost that the dealer charges.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Power Stop rotors and pads on a 2007 Hemi. They are great brakes.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pads I usually go aftermarket and go ceramic. Rotors either oem or quality aftermarket bank rotors. I skip the whole drill/slotted but that’s up to you. Doubt there’s anything complicated about our brake system it’s not a Ferrari should be just like any other American vehicle. Now the electronics that I can understand being more complexed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whitty37

Reaction score
I'll just add to the above posters regarding Powerstops...I have never done brakes in my life and replaced all 4 rotors and pads with no issues. They are better than the OEM's and saved hundreds doing them in the home garage. Bought all the parts from Summit Racing as well...

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After a ton of research last year, I swapped to Power Stop pads after contaminating my OEMs by accident. (Fixed my brake squeak while I was in there by replacing the pad retaining clips with quality pieces as well, and a little lube between them and the bracket.)

No issues, been over 6 months now I believe. Stop at least as good as the OEMs, and I reused the OEM rotors, as I had like 5k on them at the time. They’d be even better if I had replaced the rotors as well I bet, but I didn’t want to spend the money yet.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The only part of the job you need to be mindful of is the rear electric parking brake, there is a service setting for the rear e-brake acuator in Uconnect

Users who are viewing this thread