5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Remote Start - Is the Kit Really Needed?

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Upon research and searching, from what I gathered is the HD Rams don’t need anything new aside from a new key fob and programming when it comes to adding remote start as long as the hood latch with the connector is there. For us 1500 DT guys is that the same?

I have the hood latch with connector already installed and have a fob with the buttons, do I really need the RF module and antenna that comes in the OEM DT kit? If so, does anyone know the part number for the module and antenna and cables separately?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Upon research and searching, from what I gathered is the HD Rams don’t need anything new aside from a new key fob and programming when it comes to adding remote start as long as the hood latch with the connector is there. For us 1500 DT guys is that the same?

I have the hood latch with connector already installed and have a fob with the buttons, do I really need the RF module and antenna that comes in the OEM DT kit? If so, does anyone know the part number for the module and antenna and cables separately?
I’m sorry but I’m not sure about that , hopefully someone with more knowledge about it chimes in for you .

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Answered my own question. To anyone looking to do this.

My 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 Quad didn’t need anything but the new key fob and program. Remote start and tailgate release works after enabling it in AlfaOBD and letting the truck sit for 2 hours. Started right up with the fob. I didn’t need the DT kit.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Answered my own question. To anyone looking to do this.

My 2019 Ram Rebel 1500 Quad didn’t need anything but the new key fob and program. Remote start and tailgate release works after enabling it in AlfaOBD and letting the truck sit for 2 hours. Started right up with the fob. I didn’t need the DT kit.
The HDs only have one RF Hub part number whether the truck has remote start or not, so the mopar kit only contains the hood latch and fob. The DTs actually do use a different RF Hub for remote start, and it has an external antenna port. The mopar DT kit contains the new hub, fobs, and hood latch.
This was the same with 2013-2016 Rams, with FCA having owners convinced that a “remote start specific rf hub” is needed for remote start, and they build physically different hubs for it. It didn’t take long after AlfaOBD started supporting Rams a few years ago to figure out, like you just did, that ALL rf hubs are capable of remote start. Why they waste time and money making different hubs for the DTs, but not the HDs, I guess we’ll never know. The 4th gens were even easier because the actual remote start button circuit is on every single fob, you just need the rubber overlay pad that has the remote start button picture and contact for the button on the pad.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
The HDs only have one RF Hub part number whether the truck has remote start or not, so the mopar kit only contains the hood latch and fob. The DTs actually do use a different RF Hub for remote start, and it has an external antenna port. The mopar DT kit contains the new hub, fobs, and hood latch.
This was the same with 2013-2016 Rams, with FCA having owners convinced that a “remote start specific rf hub” is needed for remote start, and they build physically different hubs for it. It didn’t take long after AlfaOBD started supporting Rams a few years ago to figure out, like you just did, that ALL rf hubs are capable of remote start. Why they waste time and money making different hubs for the DTs, but not the HDs, I guess we’ll never know. The 4th gens were even easier because the actual remote start button circuit is on every single fob, you just need the rubber overlay pad that has the remote start button picture and contact for the button on the pad.
The real question is, how many people buy this kit for the 2019 but don’t actually need it (besides the fob) and the dealer makes out a huge premium in labor (that never got done) and programming. This is my first MOPAR so the experience is new, I’ve owned many different cars but mainly drive BMW’s or Mercedes (I have a M5 and recently parted ways with my G Wagon). In terms of service, parts, and customer service with the way things are done in comparison from those brands and FCA is night and day. It’s crazy how much FCA gets away with that BMW gets crucified for.

Last edited:

onebadtwo

Reaction score
So all you need are fobs? What would I be looking for on the hood latch to see if this applies to my truck?

Users who are viewing this thread