5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Rear Underseat Storage

rgberg

Reaction score
Can someone help me determine if my truck is compatible installing the OEM rear underseat storage as an aftermarket addition and where the fasten points are before I commit $400 and end up having to return it at a cost of a 35% restocking fee? I called Mopar parts and they were less than helpful.

First photo is what I would like it to end up being. Second photo is what my current setup looks like where the handle cover would be placed. Based on the carpeting, it looks like I will have to make some cuts with a knife to get bolts in there.

Truck:
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 3.6L V6 eTorque

Parts list:
5YM59TX7AD (x1) - storage bin
6NF73TX7AA (x1) - handle cover
6MY90TX7AD (x1) - latch release handle
6508683AA (x8) - hex head bolts

Attachments

• seat storage.jpg
    seat storage.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For less money, you can get the aftermarket options that (in my opinion) are much better

Du-Ha, weathertech and Husky I believe are the options

I have the oem. And if you already have it I don’t see a point in “upgrading”. But if I didn’t, that’s where I’d go

rnoggle

Reaction score
I have to believe the bolt holes for the latch are already there behind the carpet. But that latch is only for stowing the panel if your not using it. I've never folded mine up as I carry stuff under there all the time.

The only piece you really need is the storage bin itself. It attaches by a pin on each side that goes into the lower seat support(??) not sure what it's called but
if you look at this pic its where the red circle is , 1 on each side. Make sure you have a small round hole here for the pin to go into. That's the only thing that holds the storage bin in place.

. seat storage.jpg

zlman

Reaction score
If that cost $400 to add, I'd skip it. Mine has it from factory, dealer ordered option. Not sure on cost when ordering but I'd skip in the future, I have an umbrella and ice scraper stowed in it. I'm positive each would lay on the floor just fine without it.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Unless you're just dead set on using OEM the Du-Ha is a great option, I recently installed it in mine and have been very happy with it. $165 on Amazon and very easy to install. In case you haven't seen it here's a very good discussion on the various aftermarket units.

rgberg

Reaction score
These are all great replies, so thank you everyone for your contribution. I've looked through the aftermarket options thread and at the Du-Ha, WeatherTech and Husky @Le_Slacker mentioned but my main issue with each is that they overlap with the Mopar Slush Mats. $400 is a hard pill to swallow for a piece of board so at least @rnoggle would save me $60 if I pull the trigger. I think I am getting mod fever but running out of ideas. :LOL:

M Rob

Reaction score
These are all great replies, so thank you everyone for your contribution. I've looked through the aftermarket options thread and at the Du-Ha, WeatherTech and Husky @Le_Slacker mentioned but my main issue with each is that they overlap with the Mopar Slush Mats. $400 is a hard pill to swallow for a piece of board so at least @rnoggle would save me $60 if I pull the trigger. I think I am getting mod fever but running out of ideas. :LOL:

I will gladly sell you mine for much less than $400 lol, I just took it out a few weeks ago. I sent you a DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnoggle

Reaction score
If you can get the used one for less than 400, thats the way to go. I don't really even understand why that latch is there. once you put a few things under the seat there, you'll never fold that box up anyway. Also, if you don't install the latch, then you wont have a couple of bolt holes in the carpet should you decide to remove the whole thing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you can get the used one for less than 400, thats the way to go. I don't really even understand why that latch is there. once you put a few things under the seat there, you'll never fold that box up anyway. Also, if you don't install the latch, then you wont have a couple of bolt holes in the carpet should you decide to remove the whole thing.

Exactly what I was thinking. I unfolded mine the day I bought it and have never folded it up again. The latch is just in the way now. $400 is robbery for what you actually end up with. Go with one of the other solutions or make your own. It's basically three sides of a box covered with carpet.

Hulk4824

Reaction score
Unless you're just dead set on using OEM the Du-Ha is a great option, I recently installed it in mine and have been very happy with it. $165 on Amazon and very easy to install. In case you haven't seen it here's a very good discussion on the various aftermarket units.
Ok. I received my weathertech tray today.. Now how do I remove the OEM tray?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok. I received my weathertech tray today.. Now how do I remove the OEM tray?
Very simple. You will find 3 bolts on each side of the pop-up piece on the factory one. Remove the three bolts from the plastic piece on each side and pull it out ;)

Hulk4824

Reaction score
Very simple. You will find 3 bolts on each side of the pop-up piece on the factory one. Remove the three bolts from the plastic piece on each side and pull it out ;)
Thanks. Got it done today. Also had to remove the middle latch mechanism to let the tray sit completely under the seat.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
I bought my truck used. It's a 2019 and the seat brackets look like yours. I don't have reclining rear seats nor do the seat backs fold down. The tray won't fold up and secure with the latch. It makes contact with the seat brackets. I'll try to snap a couple pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought my truck used. It's a 2019 and the seat brackets look like yours. I don't have reclining rear seats nor do the seat backs fold down. The tray won't fold up and secure with the latch. It makes contact with the seat brackets. I'll try to snap a couple pictures tomorrow.
Yes, we'll need to see some pics as yours shouldn't be any different than the pic in post #3.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dude, that piece with the hole in it is HINGED, just push down on it and it will fold up and align with the hole to hold it in place when not used :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread