5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Bed Light Kit

Haulindogs

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the factory led kit. I see it priced with a interface into the cab lighting and without at half the price. Anyone’s recommendation?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to. I have the full kit. Infotainment has an install video on their site if you are curious.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
I didn't use the factory kit, but I did tie into the factory bed lighting wiring. The kit I bought off Amazon was only $20 and I can control all the lights from the factory switch in the bed or the cab.

I've used these on my last 3 trucks without issue.

If you're a camper theses lights make all the difference in the world.

Attachments

• 20210515_124804 (1).jpg
    20210515_124804 (1).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210515_114848 (1).jpg
    20210515_114848 (1).jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 91

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't use the factory kit, but I did tie into the factory bed lighting wiring. The kit I bought off Amazon was only $20 and I can control all the lights from the factory switch in the bed or the cab.

That looks great. I’ve got the factory lights (no Rambox) and want to add lights similar to what you’ve got, specifically so they are controlled by the in-bed switch.

Mind sharing details on what you did to tap into the existing lights, as well as links to the lights you got from Amazon?

P.S. Apologies for hijacking the thread

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do you have a link or product name for the kit you used?

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
Here's what I got when I looked at my orders. Here's the new version.

Attachments

• leds.png
    leds.png
    639.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Led3.png
    Led3.png
    918.7 KB · Views: 63

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've installed the factory kit, and wired according to the provided instructions. You need AlfaODB to activate them as well.

It's a fairly simple install. When I ran the wire to the front, I followed and zip tied to an existing under body harness, and get some RTV for when you go through the firewall boot in the driver side wheel well. Pick tools (like the ones I post below) are very useful when removing the harness connections under the dash.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
I've installed the factory kit, and wired according to the provided instructions. You need AlfaODB to activate them as well.

It's a fairly simple install. When I ran the wire to the front, I followed and zip tied to an existing under body harness, and get some RTV for when you go through the firewall boot in the driver side wheel well. Pick tools (like the ones I post below) are very useful when removing the harness connections under the dash.

This is a long way to get to a simple solution, but it's probably the way they'd like it done.

I'm all about simplicity.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a long way to get to a simple solution, but it's probably the way they'd like it done.

I'm all about simplicity.
I like the OEM behavior (lights turn on when unlocking, on/offwhen the tailgate is opened/closed, or when the overhead light comes on when I press the buttons manually), which is why I didn't splice into a closer harness. The whole install took about an hour and a half, including the AlfaODB settings update.

Edit: now that I've read through the rest of the thread I realize we are talking about 2 different things. It looks like you already had the OEM Bed LED's and you tapped your LED strips into those. I think the OP is talking about adding the OEM style LED lamps.

Last edited:

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
I like the OEM behavior (lights turn on when unlocking, on/offwhen the tailgate is opened/closed, or when the overhead light comes on when I press the buttons manually), which is why I didn't splice into a closer harness. The whole install took about an hour and a half, including the AlfaODB settings update.

Edit: now that I've read through the rest of the thread I realize we are talking about 2 different things. It looks like you already had the OEM Bed LED's and you tapped your LED strips into those. I think the OP is talking about adding the OEM style LED lamps.
I think you're right. I had the stock lights already installed. They're just crap so I added to them with the LED strips.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's the best way to remove the OEM bed lights on a 1500 (without Rambox) in order to tap into their wires to add light strips? The 1500's bed lights don't have screws like the 2500 (or the 4th gen 1500).

From watching other videos, I've learned that there's a tab at the bottom and a clip at the top. When installing the lights, you'd put the bottom in first, then the top, so to take them out, I should take out the top first, then the bottom, but I wasn't able to easily release the tab at the top. Checking if anyone has a tip to make this easy, lest I snap off a fragile bit of plastic.

Perhaps it'd be easier to remove the taillight, and go in that way.

The Critic

Reaction score
What's the best way to remove the OEM bed lights on a 1500 (without Rambox) in order to tap into their wires to add light strips? The 1500's bed lights don't have screws like the 2500 (or the 4th gen 1500).

From watching other videos, I've learned that there's a tab at the bottom and a clip at the top. When installing the lights, you'd put the bottom in first, then the top, so to take them out, I should take out the top first, then the bottom, but I wasn't able to easily release the tab at the top. Checking if anyone has a tip to make this easy, lest I snap off a fragile bit of plastic.

Perhaps it'd be easier to remove the taillight, and go in that way.
Removing the tail light is the easiest way to gain access.

Users who are viewing this thread