5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM 22" Goodyears Road Feel

Floyd

Reaction score
I was hesitant to get 22" rims, but they were on the truck that had everything else.

Can't decide if it's the rims or the Goodyears....seems like they are never quite balanced or there is just a lot of road feel...a constant slight vibration on the floorboard primarily.

Anyone hate the OEM and see improvements with switching to either

1- Swapping Goodyears for different 22" tires
2- 20" Rims
3 - 18" Rims

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was hesitant to get 22" rims, but they were on the truck that had everything else.

Can't decide if it's the rims or the Goodyears....seems like they are never quite balanced or there is just a lot of road feel...a constant slight vibration on the floorboard primarily.

Anyone hate the OEM and see improvements with switching to either

1- Swapping Goodyears for different 22" tires
2- 20" Rims
3 - 18" Rims
Goodyears are crap tires. I switched mine out for the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and never looked back. MUCH better tire for both dry and wet traction.

Reverse

Reaction score
I also switched to Michelin Defender and they are much better as far as traction and road feel. However, mileage on the Michelins has been awful. 25,000 miles and they're done. I am looking to switch to 18" Rebel wheels. That way I'll have a better selection of tires to choose from, at lower prices, and they'll fill the wheel opening better.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also switched to Michelin Defender and they are much better as far as traction and road feel. However, mileage on the Michelins has been awful. 25,000 miles and they're done. I am looking to switch to 18" Rebel wheels. That way I'll have a better selection of tires to choose from, at lower prices, and they'll fill the wheel opening better.
They have like a 60K mile warranty… go back to your dealer. That should not happen!

NCGatorRam

Reaction score
Have about 7K on stock Goodyears. They ride smooth for me but on wet roads in town driving they slip, especially when accelerating from a stop. Hwy driving in the rain hasn't been an issue. Drove through tropical storm conditions on a trip from NC to FL panhandle last Oct and they performed very well, but they were also brand new. I find myself putting it in 4WD auto whenever it rains for extra assurance.

I will most likely go AT tire at 305/45/22 in the next few months, still researching. I haven't ruled out staying at stock size either. I don't want to mess with suspension changes if I don't have to.

Floyd

Reaction score
I am looking for
1- Best ride
2- Off pavement capable (not rock climbing or mudding, but beach driving, trail driving, light mud, etc)
3- Good looking tire (always a factor, but function beats visual for me)

Ideally I can stay stock size, but have seen 275/50/22 and 305/45/22.

Thinking that an E rated tire will not meet best ride that I am looking for.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
They ride smooth for me but on wet roads in town driving they slip, especially when accelerating from a stop.
You're being too kind with your description. :) With a little bit of water on the road, when trying to make a right turn from a stop to merge into traffic you need to give yourself way more time than should be needed to make sure they grip. Goodyear should be ashamed of themselves for these tires.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're being too kind with your description. :) With a little bit of water on the road, when trying to make a right turn from a stop to merge into traffic you need to give yourself way more time than should be needed to make sure they grip. Goodyear should be ashamed of themselves for these tires.
EXACTLY...THIS^^^

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
As I stated on post #2, if you are looking for a GREAT highway tire that can handle minor off-road excursions that look similar to the stock Goodyear's, I highly recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I would love a more "aggressive" look; however, as you get "aggressive", you sacrifice other things that I was unwilling to sacrifice. To me...WET and DRY traction was my #1 priority. Others may chose looks over function which, to me, is a huge mistake.

Last edited:

RBJ

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn came with 22–Inch x 9.0–Inch Polish/Painted Wheels w/ Inserts - Goodyear 285/45R22XL BSW All–Season Tires. Truck has air suspension. I have no vibrations while driving and no real road noise and truck rides like a luxury car on the highway.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn came with 22–Inch x 9.0–Inch Polish/Painted Wheels w/ Inserts - Goodyear 285/45R22XL BSW All–Season Tires. Truck has air suspension. I have no vibrations while driving and no real road noise and truck rides like a luxury car on the highway.
The Goodyear's "ride" fine...it is the poor traction that is the issue.

Didz

Reaction score
I picked up my 2021 Limited in March and I totally agree with you. The car rides beautifully on the highway but when I pull away from a light or if there is any water on the road my traction light comes on. Goodyear tires in general are garbage, I had them on my Camaro and they didn't last long and traction was abysmal if I raced anyone from a stop. I was thinking of changing them but now I need to get new wheels thanks to a dumb cow in Kia!! She cut me off on an exit ramp and pushed me into the pavement and now my RR wheel and tyre have a small chunk missing!! My insurance wont cover the damage so I am thinking of getting black milled 24x10 Strada Retro 6 wheels with Nitto NT420S. I know the ride will be slightly rougher than the OEM 22's but, it will look sweet.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I picked up my 2021 Limited in March and I totally agree with you. The car rides beautifully on the highway but when I pull away from a light or if there is any water on the road my traction light comes on. Goodyear tires in general are garbage, I had them on my Camaro and they didn't last long and traction was abysmal if I raced anyone from a stop. I was thinking of changing them but now I need to get new wheels thanks to a dumb cow in Kia!! She cut me off on an exit ramp and pushed me into the pavement and now my RR wheel and tyre have a small chunk missing!! My insurance wont cover the damage so I am thinking of getting black milled 24x10 Strada Retro 6 wheels with Nitto NT420S. I know the ride will be slightly rougher than the OEM 22's but, it will look sweet.
I hate dumb cows!

Didz

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why the Goodyears don't grip in our weather. Just another day in the Middle East.
b24475cdd9bae10790019d9ed73b1b67.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread