5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OE Tires done at 28k miles

Scottg918514

Reaction score
Anyone’s or tires crap out at such low miles? I rotated and balanced at 7k, rotated again at 18k and they are done now. Stock Goodyear Garbage on 22s

sparkygreen

Reaction score
This is a common topic. Yes they wear out quickly, I think more quickly than the same tire bought off the shelf. I think the OEM's set their own spec and ensure they don't last too long, cutting down on cost. I got pretty much the same out of mine, replaced 4-5 months ago with 28k.

Sucks, but it is what it is and I think it carries across most brands of vehicle and tire manufacturer.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if the Rebels have legit Duratracs or not, but at 25k miles mine still have a ton of tread on them. I'm hoping for 40k+, but I've similar situations with other OEM tire "brands".

Depending on how long these last might sway me to stay with Duratracs when I get new ones.

Camelot

Reaction score
OEM tires are not as good as the same tire / brand purchased aftermarket. The OEs buy a cheaper version in bulk, often made cheaper (As far as motorcycle tires, made in another country) and with less thread dept. Very obvious for motorcycles where the OE tires are really poor.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As the name states, good for a year. I leased a 2017 Ram with Goodyear RSA's and they were toast at 25k. OEM tires are crapola

Jgrakla

Reaction score
This is a common topic. Yes they wear out quickly, I think more quickly than the same tire bought off the shelf. I think the OEM's set their own spec and ensure they don't last too long, cutting down on cost. I got pretty much the same out of mine, replaced 4-5 months ago with 28k.

Sucks, but it is what it is and I think it carries across most brands of vehicle and tire manufacturer.
As the name states, good for a year. I leased a 2017 Ram with Goodyear RSA's and they were toast at 25k. OEM tires are crapola
Hey all. I’m nee here, compelled to get on and inquire about tire life. Sounds like a common issue. I have 2020 limited with the 22’s and Goodyear’s. Always properly maintained. No uneven wear but tread depth is shot at 28k! Buy a $50k truck and only get 28k of tread life?!? Is there any kind of warranty complaint through Goodyear or Ram dealers? What are folks going with for replacements?

Thanks!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at about 37k miles on my factory duratracs, rotated every 6k or so with my oil changes. Plan on replacing them before next fall where I’ll be close to 50k miles. Lots of tread left now, no problems in the snow. They have gotten louder as they wear tho. I plan on replacing them with another set of duratracs.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I’m nee here, compelled to get on and inquire about tire life. Sounds like a common issue. I have 2020 limited with the 22’s and Goodyear’s. Always properly maintained. No uneven wear but tread depth is shot at 28k! Buy a $50k truck and only get 28k of tread life?!? Is there any kind of warranty complaint through Goodyear or Ram dealers? What are folks going with for replacements?

Thanks!
Swapped out the slippery stock Goodyears for Toyo Open Country A/T III's. MUCH, much better. Others have gone with Cooper, Falken, Bridgestone etc... with good reviews. If you just want a good all season tire a lot of owners here seem to prefer the Michelin Defenders.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Reaction score
Is there any kind of warranty complaint through Goodyear or Ram dealers?
When I was researching what to about my Bridgestones I discovered that they didn't have any mileage warranty. OEM tires are for a soft quiet ride and little else

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Coming up on 24k with my 2019. The tires are definitely at that point where I look at them and say "Time for new tires"

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
This is fairly standard with almost all newer vehicles.

You can buy Oem take offs pretty cheap off Facebook since a lot of people upgrade to better tires shortly after buying the truck anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge

Reaction score
My Goodforayear 245/85 R22 lasted a whopping 17,000 miles. I replaced them about 1,000 miles ago with Bridgestone Alena Utlra’s and it was the worst decision ever. My highway gas mileage has dropped from 18.6 MPG to 15.0 MPG. I figure if these tires hit 50,000 miles, they’d have cost me $2,200 extra in fuel.

Thankfully, there is a 30 day buy and try policy on the Bridgestones. Anyone have a recommendation on what to buy for good all-season performance (including Michigan winters) with decent durability?

Users who are viewing this thread