5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Octane Question

ryelinek

Reaction score
So probably a topic that has been covered plenty of times before but I wanted to get opinions on this.

For the 5.7 Hemi it seems like the recommended octane is 89. Most people say they use 87 with no issues and would only put in better fuel if they are going to tow.

Along the same lines I’ve seen that while using 87 octane is fine but it’s most important to get brand name gas. Do most agreement with this statement? So get your gas from like a Shell, BP, Exon, etc. While avoiding getting gas from like a Sheetz, WaWa, or 7-11 etc etc.

Long question but just looking for some input.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So probably a topic that has been covered plenty of times before but I wanted to get opinions on this.

For the 5.7 Hemi it seems like the recommended octane is 89. Most people say they use 87 with no issues and would only put in better fuel if they are going to tow.

Along the same lines I’ve seen that while using 87 octane is fine but it’s most important to get brand name gas. Do most agreement with this statement? So get your gas from like a Shell, BP, Exon, etc. While avoiding getting gas from like a Sheetz, WaWa, or 7-11 etc etc.

I'd definitely stick with a top tier gas supplier (shell, chevron etc) as far as octane I know there are a lot of schools of thought on this but I've ran 87 in my 2016 Hemi almost exclusively for the past 2 years, I've also tried 89, 91 and 94 and noticed no difference with any other octanes. It doesn't knock/ping or complain on 87 so it works for me. Different elevations can also change what will and won't work for people.

D

Deleted member 85

No Costco, no Safeway. Gas has a cost, the bargain gas is cheaper due to less detergents.

ryelinek

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys. Solid info and just what I wanted to confirm. Appreciate the input.

FLG8R

Reaction score

Someone has to cross the line so for this one I'll be the one. Been using Walmarts (Murphy) gas for my '16 Hemi (and any other vehicles I've owned) since purchased two years ago. Always been a believer that since Walmart began they've demanded the best for the least amount of dollars. NO, I don't work for them but they could put one in my back yard and I'd never complain.

D

Deleted member 85

Someone has to cross the line so for this one I'll be the one. Been using Walmarts (Murphy) gas for my '16 Hemi (and any other vehicles I've owned) since purchased two years ago. Always been a believer that since Walmart began they've demanded the best for the least amount of dollars. NO, I don't work for them but they could put one in my back yard and I'd never complain.
We don't have Wally-Mart gas in Canada, but personally I'd question its quality. Octane is only one part of the quality.

D

Deleted member 85

Why would you question its quality if you don't have it to evaluate?
Gas is a commodity. The market dictates its price. If a company is selling it for less, there's a reason why.

FLG8R

Reaction score
You're a Sales Manager and the CJDR dealer 20 miles away has the exact vehicle as you do but you sell it for less. Should I be suspicious? Not to beat this up but as I'm unfamiliar with Canadian policy on gas contaminants I won't try to question any thing you say about your gas. In the States however, what goes in the tanker, then into the ground, up from the ground and into my vehicle is highly regulated. The fines for violations could easily put someone out of business. I have personally observed in my neighborhood the same tanker company fill up a Shell stations tanks then drive up the road and do the same at two different convenience stores with "no name" gas under their respective business name. The price for gas at the Shell can actually be as much as 15 cents lower than theirs. I feel confident that if FCA doesn't show a Caution symbol in the Owners Manual telling me to stay away from Walmart it'll be ok.

D

Deleted member 85

You're a Sales Manager and the CJDR dealer 20 miles away has the exact vehicle as you do but you sell it for less. Should I be suspicious? Not to beat this up but as I'm unfamiliar with Canadian policy on gas contaminants I won't try to question any thing you say about your gas. In the States however, what goes in the tanker, then into the ground, up from the ground and into my vehicle is highly regulated. The fines for violations could easily put someone out of business. I have personally observed in my neighborhood the same tanker company fill up a Shell stations tanks then drive up the road and do the same at two different convenience stores with "no name" gas under their respective business name. The price for gas at the Shell can actually be as much as 15 cents lower than theirs. I feel confident that if FCA doesn't show a Caution symbol in the Owners Manual telling me to stay away from Walmart it'll be ok.
No worries. In my parts, a Shell branded tanker will fill a Shell station. Ditto for Chevron. There's no ubiquitous tanker filling all the stations.

Just my 2 cents on the situation, I am not an expert.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used 87 octane from Sams club for years in my Rams and my other trucks. No issues ever

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use the local Indian reserve as its close and gas is usually 10-15 cents a litre less. I see tankers in there all the time and its usually Exxon or Shell. Just don't get gas there when the tanker is there as it stirs the crap from the bottom of the tank up.
Also just use the 87 octane.

Agitated

Reaction score
The yearly cost between 87 and 89 octane is minimal. Do the math and you may see it isn't worth skimping to you. Maybe it is. I want all the available power this engine makes, FCA recommends 89 so that's what I'll use. Yes 87 will be fine, but that will probably pull some timing advance out and reduce peak power. Most won't notice this because it is minimal, and if all you do is lug around town or cruise the highway empty then it's moot. I'm more of a spirited driver, and I tow. My wife's Audi takes 91 minimum...I can't convince her to put 91 or 93 in it. She keeps filling up with 87. I can definitely tell the difference in that car.
As for top tier brands....IMO opinion only, it's nothing but a marketing ploy. The reason some costs more than other is simple....advertising costs.

Reactions: sgk

warvet

Reaction score

Agreed!!! I've done a lot of graduate level research on Walmart. Their pricing doesn't reflect low quality. Their pricing reflects the strong armed tactics they employ with distributers/companies.. Walmart demands a certain low price from it's suppliers. They don't care how much it costs them to make that item. They we will only pay $____ and pass those savings on to consumers. So if a company wants to make $50 per item, then they better go distribute to XYZ store because Walmart may only allow them make $25 per item. Companies allow themselves to be bullied because there is a Walmart on every dang corner. I fill up at Walmart sometimes. I usually fill up with Shell because of that Top Tier list.........even though I don't fully trust that list. Just like I don't trust all the oil claims they sell us for our Harley Davidsons. All marketing! As for Canada, all I know is.....I took a Harley Davidson trip from NC to Canada and that DANG gas was expensive in Canada :)

Twoamen

Reaction score
Tons of info on using 89. Other dodge ram forums. Search for Octane. One point in favor of 89 as recommended by Mopar. It's programed to burn at 89. The computer has got to retard the timing to adjust 87 and a fine line between pinging and not pinging. 89 compression is higher because it has it ignights at a higher firing point. These points are some references I've read. If you go to the ram/dodge forum sites you will be more informed. I'll pay the extra knowing it's tunned for 89.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty finding 89 octane in my area that does NOT contain ethanol. I'd really prefer to not put ethanol in my truck if at all possible. So if forced, would you go 87 with No ethanol, 89 WITH ethanol, or 91 with No ethanol?

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
I filled my 2012 Ram with the closest and cheapest gas station near my house for over 140,000 miles which happens to be a 7 -Eleven. I ran 87 about half the time and 89 the other half. I had to pull off the intake to replace the oil control valve at 130,000 and the intake runner and valves were spotless. As for power, 89 gave my truck a noticeable bump in power throughout the entire rpm range. Very noticeable when pulling or when the truck runs in ECO mode. I noticed a very slight 0.5 MPG increase using 89. Also, the 7 Eleven I use is smaller and the 89 states it can contain up to 10% ethanol, but from what I was told 89 has less ethanol than 87.

alow

Reaction score
I've been running 87 and will likely continue to do so. I try to grab gas from the cheapest nicer station. Usually a 76 by my place which doesnt have gas tax due to being on a reservation. I hadnt thought about the tanker being there but it makes sense I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread