5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OBDLink LX vs MX+

DirectJH

Reaction score
What are the professional opinions? According to their web "Based on the best-selling OBDLink MX, the budget-priced OBDLink LX Bluetooth offers the same unparalleled performance, delivering up to 4 times as many samples per second as the closest competitor. The ultra-fast response times let you enjoy accurate, detailed graphs and smooth, realistic virtual gauges." I will never own a GM again probably not a Ford so I wont need if you need access to the proprietary Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) in addition to the standard OBD-II protocols.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an Mx+ and honestly the $7 generic blue elm327 off amazon works exactly the same. Just as fast, no problems at all.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking or what point you are trying to make.
That said, supposedly the only difference between the two devices is the MX added Ford and apparently Chevy to their system. Their original is the LX that I have and no need for the MX as I only have Ram trucks.

DirectJH

Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking or what point you are trying to make.
That said, supposedly the only difference between the two devices is the MX added Ford and apparently Chevy to their system. Their original is the LX that I have and no need for the MX as I only have Ram trucks.
That was my point but I wanted to see if anyone else could elaborate on that. I use AlphaOBD and it doesn't work with iPhones so no need for the 4.0 Bluetooth option. Thank you

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are the professional opinions? According to their web "Based on the best-selling OBDLink MX, the budget-priced OBDLink LX Bluetooth offers the same unparalleled performance, delivering up to 4 times as many samples per second as the closest competitor. The ultra-fast response times let you enjoy accurate, detailed graphs and smooth, realistic virtual gauges." I will never own a GM again probably not a Ford so I wont need if you need access to the proprietary Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) in addition to the standard OBD-II protocols.
There’s two canbus networks on Ram trucks- C and IHS. Canbus C uses pins 6&14 on the OBD port, and Canbus IHS uses pins 3&11 on the OBD port.
The LX is not capable of connecting to any of the modules on the IHS bus without using a “blue” adapter.
The MX+ can automatically switch pins internally, so it can connect to those modules without an adapter.
The BCM is connected to on canbus C, and that’s how all the configuration changes are made, so the LX can handle those changes (same with the cheaper elm 327 devices).
But, if you need to connect to any modules on the IHS bus for diagnostics, read faults, etc, the LX and cheaper adapters can’t do it without the adapter.
Some of the modules on the IHS bus are:
Radio, amplifier, display screen, integrated center stack, CVPM, hvac, door modules, heated seats, memory seats, power side steps, and blind spot modules.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It also depends on what you want to do. You can do most things with a cheap one off Amazon. But like Jimmy said, if you need access to other systems and not just the BCM, you need the MX+.

Users who are viewing this thread