5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OBDII Cable Splitter 16 Pin 1 Female - 3 Male Adapter

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking through Amazon and came across this does anyone know if you can run multiple systems off of one adapter? Such as Comma 3, Radar Detector, and Dash Cams? Or really any combination just some I was thinking I would want to power on startup of truck. I’ve read mixed some say you can some say you can’t so I know one of you tremendous people would know. I’ve also seen the cable ones that you could zip tie up in case of this plastic one getting in your way.

iKKEGOL Pocket OBD2 OBDII Full 16 Pin Male to 3 Female 1 to 3 OBD Cable Splitter Converter Adapter for Diagnostic Extender https://a.co/d/bWblUdE

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm running a splitter with comma 3 and I connect my odb2 scanner sometimes no problems. Note that the comma 3 doesn't access data pins from the odb2 port only power.

I believe if 2 devices tet to pull data at the same time with a splitter they would fail.

That one you linked also would not fit very well, gota think about where the port is and what angle the plug is
The one I have goes backwards to the firewall with a cable then splits to 2 cables. I have one of them gently zip tied and the other resting on trim when not in use. My legs would rip that adaptor out.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running a splitter with comma 3 and I connect my odb2 scanner sometimes no problems. Note that the comma 3 doesn't access data pins from the odb2 port only power.

I believe if 2 devices tet to pull data at the same time with a splitter they would fail.

That one you linked also would not fit very well, gota think about where the port is and what angle the plug is
The one I have goes backwards to the firewall with a cable then splits to 2 cables. I have one of them gently zip tied and the other resting on trim when not in use. My legs would rip that adaptor out.
Yeah, that’s what I was worried about my legs hitting it and damaging my OBD port. Also, that makes sense as it only uses as a power source not actually pulling data. I was reading a lot about it and some people were saying it could use multiple devices at once but most people were saying you couldn't.

As I was reading more it specifically says that “OBD2 will not allow data packets to be sent to three different devices at once as it will only see it as one connected device”. If I’m understanding this correctly though if you were only using it for power only and could find a OBD2 splitter that uses power only pins and not all 16 to power the units in theory it could work to power on other items? I know I can hard wire most of this stuff and tap into internal power distribution center but was just thinking of an easy plug and play option just to power multiple items from OBD port.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s what I was worried about my legs hitting it and damaging my OBD port. Also, that makes sense as it only uses as a power source not actually pulling data. I was reading a lot about it and some people were saying it could use multiple devices at once but most people were saying you couldn't.

As I was reading more it specifically says that “OBD2 will not allow data packets to be sent to three different devices at once as it will only see it as one connected device”. If I’m understanding this correctly though if you were only using it for power only and could find a OBD2 splitter that uses power only pins and not all 16 to power the units in theory it could work to power on other items? I know I can hard wire most of this stuff and tap into internal power distribution center but was just thinking of an easy plug and play option just to power multiple items from OBD port.
From the webs...

Easy answer: One at a time​

The OBD-II port can’t be split or have a hub like USB. It’s just not designed for that sort of thing. The OBD-II system was originally designed for mechanics to connect to a car’s computer, and nothing else. For many years that’s all it did, until computer technology got cheap enough so that regular folks could use the port as well.

If you want to connect that heads-up display, you’ll need to disconnect that GPS tracker that some other cell phone company suggested you use. Or, you’ll have to disconnect the dongle your insurance company put there claiming it would save you money. Bottom line you can only use one OBD-II device at the same time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

You don't need to limit the pins.

I have no problem using Alfaodb or Torque Pro with my ODB2 bluetooth adaptor, this is while keeping my Comma 3 plugged in.

I was just saying Comma 3 only pulls POWER from the ODB2 port. The splitter cable I have doesn't change the pinout or anything.

This is what I have
Note, when plugged in it goes BACK, not forward like a lot of other cables do (gota check the notch on the plug)

I will say when adjusting my tune on the truck I do NOT use the splittter, it might be fine but no way in hell am I risking it.
0 Problems with the Odb2 scanner though.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need to limit the pins.

I have no problem using Alfaodb or Torque Pro with my ODB2 bluetooth adaptor, this is while keeping my Comma 3 plugged in.

I was just saying Comma 3 only pulls POWER from the ODB2 port. The splitter cable I have doesn't change the pinout or anything.

This is what I have
Note, when plugged in it goes BACK, not forward like a lot of other cables do (gota check the notch on the plug)

I will say when adjusting my tune on the truck I do NOT use the splittter, it might be fine but no way in hell am I risking it.
0 Problems with the Odb2 scanner though.
That is more or less what I was referring to so you can use the splitter with Comma and use my MX+ to make any changes I just hate unplugging my Comma every time because after I do it glitches and I have to unplug it and plug it back in several times for it to work right. Thanks for the information.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is more or less what I was referring to so you can use the splitter with Comma and use my MX+ to make any changes I just hate unplugging my Comma every time because after I do it glitches and I have to unplug it and plug it back in several times for it to work right. Thanks for the information.
If you don't mind waiting 3 minutes before using it on startup, you actually don't even need to connect the Comma3 to the ODB2 port at all.

But yes the splitter will work fine for your needs, just don't use 2 MX+ at once lol.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't mind waiting 3 minutes before using it on startup, you actually don't even need to connect the Comma3 to the ODB2 port at all.

But yes the splitter will work fine for your needs, just don't use 2 MX+ at once lol.
I have a 2 year old little girl and if I wait 3 minutes to drive my truck she’ll have a melt down so I like it starting up immediately lol.

Lol I would never but I get it for sure now thanks for the explanation!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old little girl and if I wait 3 minutes to drive my truck she’ll have a melt down so I like it starting up immediately lol.

Lol I would never but I get it for sure now thanks for the explanation!
Just to be clear, the Comma 3 will work after it boots up. You just can't engage it for a few minutes until it finishes booting.
You can throw your truck into gear and drive while it's starting.

I considered removing the ODB2 cable, but i'm too lazy and I already ran the cable in my headliner and A pillar before I realized it was really an optional cable, lol.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the Comma 3 will work after it boots up. You just can't engage it for a few minutes until it finishes booting.
You can throw your truck into gear and drive while it's starting.

I considered removing the ODB2 cable, but i'm too lazy and I already ran the cable in my headliner and A pillar before I realized it was really an optional cable, lol.
Oh yeah I know I just like it booting up from the start just a preference thing for me.

Lol I know what you mean!!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can plug in as many devices as you want, it’s only when start actually connecting to modules that you can only run one diagnostic tool connection at a time. Otherwise, things like amp steps, which are only listening to the bus, and comma, etc can all be plugged in at once along with a scan tool connected to a module on the truck. BTW, the comma does actually use canbus C on the OBD port, even though it’s commonly repeated that it doesn’t. Castlehill had trouble fingerprinting my truck, until he found out I just hardwired the power and ground from the comma OBD (because I thought the same thing). Once I told him that, he had to use a different method to fingerprint.

On my bench setup, I have three OBD ports with my MC+, micropod, and micropod clone all plugged in at the same time. That way it’s easy for me to switch between using AlfaOBD, wiTECH, and CDA6 in a session with modules hooked up on the bench.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can plug in as many devices as you want, it’s only when start actually connecting to modules that you can only run one diagnostic tool connection at a time. Otherwise, things like amp steps, which are only listening to the bus, and comma, etc can all be plugged in at once along with a scan tool connected to a module on the truck. BTW, the comma does actually use canbus C on the OBD port, even though it’s commonly repeated that it doesn’t. Castlehill had trouble fingerprinting my truck, until he found out I just hardwired the power and ground from the comma OBD (because I thought the same thing). Once I told him that, he had to use a different method to fingerprint.

On my bench setup, I have three OBD ports with my MC+, micropod, and micropod clone all plugged in at the same time. That way it’s easy for me to switch between using AlfaOBD, wiTECH, and CDA6 in a session with modules hooked up on the bench.
Interesting about the fingerprinting.

When I run the command to fingerprint with openpilot toolkit it errors out. I am connected to the ODB2 port with the device.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting about the fingerprinting.

When I run the command to fingerprint with openpilot toolkit it errors out. I am connected to the ODB2 port with the device.
12768EBF-9C01-441E-AB66-CA23EF0BA76C.jpeg

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Okay this extremely clarifies why some people were swearing you could use multiple items and some swearing that you can only use one but make sense now it just depends on what you are hooking up is communicating to. Thanks Jimmy as always! Lol

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did it work with a splitter cable? I only have had it plugged into a splitter cable (other port not used) and when I run the fingerprint command it errors out but no problem with ssh, getting videos or changing builds via the utility.
I’m not sure, he ended up taking care of it without it. But I did ultimately run the canbus lines from the Ethernet cable straight to the star can block. I was just pointing out that can c is definitely used for “something” out of the comma OBD plug for certain situations, based on the conversion with castle hill.
Other than that, I personally don’t use splitters. If I need to add a device that needs the OBD port, I just go straight to the star can blocks. That way the original port is free for my diagnostic tools. I also run with the security gateway module removed from the truck, and disabled from the bus.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure, he ended up taking care of it without it. But I did ultimately run the canbus lines from the Ethernet cable straight to the star can block. I was just pointing out that can c is definitely used for “something” out of the comma OBD plug for certain situations, based on the conversion with castle hill.
Other than that, I personally don’t use splitters. If I need to add a device that needs the OBD port, I just go straight to the star can blocks. That way the original port is free for my diagnostic tools. I also run with the security gateway module removed from the truck, and disabled from the bus.
Is this something you could make for me if I sent you the cable of the device I want to run to leave my port open?

St-na

Reaction score
What is the attached device connected to my OBDII port? Do I really need it?

Attachments

• 20231214_150410.jpg
    20231214_150410.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231214_150430.jpg
    20231214_150430.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online