5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now this is some knocking sounds - Nervous

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard flywheels make a noise like that when they get a Crack in them. The flex plate will actually move and rattle. Water pumps will sometimes make a rattle too.does it have any metal coweling on the engine that might be loose. A sticking lifter can also make a rattling noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, I had a flex plate crack on my 77 K5 Blazer and it sounded a lot like the OP's noise.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could be a stuck lifter or valve . The other thing is if the truck sits a while (meaning a few days) the oil can settle back down to the oil pan and takes a few seconds to pump back up to the heads so you will hear the valve tapping sounds until the top end is filled up with oil.

dyelife

Reaction score
It could be a stuck lifter or valve . The other thing is if the truck sits a while (meaning a few days) the oil can settle back down to the oil pan and takes a few seconds to pump back up to the heads so you will hear the valve tapping sounds until the top end is filled up with oil.

I know a normal lifter warm up tick. That's been the same way every morning. But my brotha, that sound is not a normal morning start up lol. But ty, still NOTHING from the dealership not even an update in 4 days. They are just guessing its e-torque and replacing it. I am furious and have no idea what direction to go from here. They are a great dealership and usually take very good care of me...so I am asking for other options now. No new vehicle should ever sound like that nor and owner should have to go home with that with no answers.

dyelife

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This has been one of my favorite forums and communities yet. So thank you guys for all of the insight and helpful tools. I am here simply to show you what I walked out to yesterday morning and my truck has been at the dealership since. I do not know what it is but the level of knocking was on a different level. Now the video shows the worst part of it. I restarted a few times and it would be much more subtle but regardless 100% rythmatic. So...jesus take the wheel. I love this truck but this does make me SUPER F'n upset and somewhat nervous...less than 1.5k miles on it...I open for any suggestions or how to handle the situation. So far the dealership says they hear it and are working on it but the havent been able to mimic the level of sound in the video.

I'll keep you guys posted as the dealer ship provides feedback.

LINK TO VIDEO HERE:

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4 5.7Hemi w/e-Torque
Miles: 1.3k

UPDATE**** 9-24

So, last Thursday, I went in to the dealer ship turning my truck in for the second time after they released it. The truck made the same noise, I posted another video and had it towed the following morning. I went to the dealership, went to the yard with the director and all of his managers. We did a start up the moment they dropped the truck off the tow. Of course in my mind I was praying for it to make the noise for the entire yard. Well it did, 7/10 times and I pointed it out to all of them. Once they heard it, they jumped in (about 6 guys on my truck). They almost diagnosed it on the spot as a compressor issue that was vibrating and knocking against other pieces. They replace the compressor and I believe the Dry Ram (a piece that keep potential metal from damage out of the system). They didnt see any metal flinging around but they replaced it just in case. Either way, New Compressor less than 24 hours in and out. I drove the truck all weekend 2.5 hours away from me and further...drives like a dream again. Not one noise, not one issue and I am very happy to be back with my truck. Sucks it took that long and they needed me to point it out but I am at the end of the day happy with everything those guys did and are doing to continue to keep my service.

Thanks for ALL the feedback, this thread was discussed and used as well.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE**** 9-24

So, last Thursday, I went in to the dealer ship turning my truck in for the second time after they released it. The truck made the same noise, I posted another video and had it towed the following morning. I went to the dealership, went to the yard with the director and all of his managers. We did a start up the moment they dropped the truck off the tow. Of course in my mind I was praying for it to make the noise for the entire yard. Well it did, 7/10 times and I pointed it out to all of them. Once they heard it, they jumped in (about 6 guys on my truck). They almost diagnosed it on the spot as a compressor issue that was vibrating and knocking against other pieces. They replace the compressor and I believe the Dry Ram (a piece that keep potential metal from damage out of the system). They didnt see any metal flinging around but they replaced it just in case. Either way, New Compressor less than 24 hours in and out. I drove the truck all weekend 2.5 hours away from me and further...drives like a dream again. Not one noise, not one issue and I am very happy to be back with my truck. Sucks it took that long and they needed me to point it out but I am at the end of the day happy with everything those guys did and are doing to continue to keep my service.

Compressor as in air compressor for the air suspension?

dyelife

Reaction score
Compressor as in air compressor for the air suspension?
I believe it was more along the lines of the AC unit. I am not a mechanic, I will provide the exact replacement made when I get home and refer to the service paper work. However, I recall it was a lose compressor that was vibrating and knocking against other metal items resulting in that noise. Then they said they need to replace the compressor in the truck...and its been perfect since. but I will provide that detail for any of you mechanically saavy gents later this evening.

Thanks,

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab - Ivory White - 1.8k Miles

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE**** 9-24

Wow. I've never heard a failed compressor make that kind of noise before. Learned something new. Glad you're back in business and it wasn't drive train related.

dyelife

Reaction score
Wow. I've never heard a failed compressor make that kind of noise before. Learned something new. Glad you're back in business and it wasn't drive train related.

So the official repairs according to my work order was:

1. 24100107 - Compressor - Internal Compressor Failure - Replaced
- Compressor - AIR
- Desiccant - A/C Filter Drier

That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread