5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note 8 android auto issues

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully had their note 8 connect to their uconnect with android auto? I know it's not my core or phone because my wife's s8 plus works on my truck and my note worker on my 16 Sierra.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully had their note 8 connect to their uconnect with android auto? I know it's not my core or phone because my wife's s8 plus works on my truck and my note worker on my 16 Sierra.
I've got a Note 8. Try a different cord. My first cord I had in my '13 Ram for almost a year with no issues. In my 2019, it seemed to charge ok, but it would tell me I was in Sterling Springs for weather and the maps would pull up Detroit. I bought a new high quality cord and haven't had an issue since.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
I've got a Note 8. Try a different cord. My first cord I had in my '13 Ram for almost a year with no issues. In my 2019, it seemed to charge ok, but it would tell me I was in Sterling Springs for weather and the maps would pull up Detroit. I bought a new high quality cord and haven't had an issue since.

I've tried the oem Cord for the phone and also an aftermarket AT&T one. I have a few other random one's around the house I can try.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
Tried two other cords , another OEM factory Samsung cord from AT&T with no luck. I get the popup asking to allow access to my phone then I get an error immediatley stating there is a connection error and my phone will connect and unconnect multiple times to the truck in an attempt to fix it on its own.

Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried two other cords , another OEM factory Samsung cord from AT&T with no luck. I get the popup asking to allow access to my phone then I get an error immediatley stating there is a connection error and my phone with connect and unconnect multiple times to the truck in an attempt to fix it on its own.
I'm at a loss then. Try to power cycle your phone if you haven't done that yet. I went through 3 different cords until I got one that worked. Hope you can find a solution.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
I'm at a loss then. Try to power cycle your phone if you haven't done that yet. I went through 3 different cords until I got one that worked. Hope you can find a solution.

Ya I ended up downloading a new update for my phone anyway so I had to power cycle my device. Can you provide a link to the cable you are using ?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya I ended up downloading a new update for my phone anyway so I had to power cycle my device. Can you provide a link to the cable you are using ?
JSAUX USB Type C Cable,(2-Pack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFGDAC8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Using this one at the moment. It's a bit long but I ran it through the bottom of the center console and out the side of the lid. Have had zero issues with it

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Compare your Note8's Android version with your wife's S8. I've seen some Android Auto incompatibilities discussed on phone forums. They said Android 8 Nougat isn't backwards compatible with certain Android Auto implementations. Uconnect updates should address issues like this since newer phones will ship with Nougat.

My Note8 is on Verizon. I have not taken delivery of my truck.

Screenshot_20180904-003608_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

Kidder

Reaction score
My Note 8 works fine with Android Auto. I have to use a Samsung cord. The only thing that doesn't work is that it won't read text messages. This is apparently a known issue.

Ktxixgsr

Reaction score
I have the latest software version on my phone and I've tried 2 different samsung cords and 2 different at&t cords with no luck. Going to try the one linked I guess. It's just weird that her s8 plus works fine with either cord and the same software versions.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My vehicle is my mobile office and my Note8 is my main tool. I hope you get yours working! My truck should be delivered in the next 3-4 weeks.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just found this site. I had been having issues as well. New cable makes all the difference......I'll copy/paste what I posted in another ram forum:

Ever since upgrading phones to the LG G7 ThinQ in June, I've been having issues with Android Auto. I had a 2018 Charger Scat Pack at that time, then traded for the 2019 Ram in August. Both vehicles experienced the same issues. Also experienced it in my 2008 Chevy Avalanche with an aftermarket Pioneer head unit, so that proves that it's not a Uconnect issue. Also, the Pioneer and the Charger both worked fine with my old LG V20.

Issues:
Music randomly stopping accompanied by black screen. Only way to get screen back is to unplug/plug phone. This would happen on average about once every 4-5 songs.

It will read incoming texts just fine, but cannot reply to or send a text. Instead of it saying "what's your message?', the circles just sit there and spin.

Random crashes/black screen when using Google Maps. Also Waze is TOTALLY broken. Launching Waze immediately goes to black screen, only solution is unplug/plug phone.

From reading online, it appears that Android Oreo 8.0 has brought with it some Android Auto issues. Others are having the same issues as me, others are having different ones. Black screens seem prevalent though. Researched enough to read that the cable seems to matter, Oreo has some kind of different handshakes, regarding pinouts, technical blah blah whatever. Nevermind that I'm using the cable that CAME WITH MY PHONE! Lol. Anyways, recommended solution is to use a cable that is USB-IF certified. So I went to the Amazon machine and found one.

I'm happy to report that it fixed it! I've been using it for 2 weeks now, no black screens, maps work fine, and I can reply to and send texts again.

Below is a link to the cable I ordered (keep in mind I have a 2019 which has USB-C ports in addition to USB-A ports). But there are several others on there that are USB-IF certified. I will say that this particular cable is very well built. Very thick and stiff, almost like a coaxial cable. I'm impressed.

Just wanted to pass this along for anyone else that may be having issues, it drove me crazy for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0718Z1MWF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread