5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not real leather

cipherbreak

Reaction score
I’ve been around enough real leather. The limited and longhorn seats are definitely the real deal. Now, the door/dash trims...

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I purchased used cars in the past I always felt more comfortable taking on a car where the previous owner kept all the previous documentation and stickers. I just thought it equated to the pride that went into properly maintaining it. I keep all my stuff as well. I should probably untie the leather tag about now and retire it into the pile, lol

Fidomac

Reaction score
Just did some research as to why my seat flakes apart the ram web sites says they are Natura leather , View attachment 29389 View attachment 29390 View attachment 29390 View attachment 29389 well that doesn't come from a cow its man made see attachments
I think the variation in Grain pattern of my seats says that it's genuine leather as well as the smell when I first bought it... I don't know about the door panels and dash but the seats are definitely leather

Gattington

Reaction score
First I pop my collar, then...
LeatherTag1.jpg LeatherTag2.jpg

And here you can see the complex grain in the leather that lends more credence to it's authenticity:
LeatherTag3.jpg

As for care I have long been a fan of Mother's VLR for upholstery leather. Spritz a little on a microfiber cloth and a gentle wipe down pushes moisture into the leather and cleans the surface. I use it on motorcycle leathers as well and it has kept my suit fresh for more years than I will be admitting here. Anyone else have a tried and true leather care solution?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These seats have sealants on top of the leather. Unless there is staining, mild soap and warm water is all you need to clean them.

As far as protection, you can add another layer of coating (CarPro Leather). Any other leather care product is basically for pleasant smell.

Now the leather pieces other than on the seats I am not totally sure if they are the same as the seats.

Gattington

Reaction score
I'll have to give CarPro Leather a try! Thanks for the tip!

And yeah the door and dash leather seem... less organic. But the sales guy was all caught up on the "real wood" panels from the rare white and black stripey stitching pattern tree, that grows in the brazilian rainforests, so I figure that makes up the value. :)

dalailama23

Reaction score
Cant seem to find that tree on a google search always thought it was wood they put together.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cant seem to find that tree on a google search always thought it was wood they put together.
Same here. The Longhorn is more straightforward “barn wood”, whereas (I believe) the Limited uses laminated pieces of wood to achieve a unique look.

RubyRam

Reaction score
Here are the detailing instructions for the GST Leather

Automotive Leather Interior Care

GST AutoLeather automotive leather interiors are designed and crafted to look good and stay that way. But like any natural product, leather requires some care to keep looking its best.

Here are a few tips to follow to make sure your automotive leather interior holds its value for the long-term:

Clean up spills immediately.
Don't give stains a chance to set on your automotive leather interior.

Use a mild cleaner.
Choose a mild soap and use water to clean your automotive leather interior. Or use a damp rag or sponge to clean the surface and concentrate on small areas at a time. Don't saturate the leather with water.

Use a leather conditioner.
There are many fine products available that can improve the softness and texture of your automotive leather interior. While we don't recommend any one in particular, we suggest you drop by your local auto parts store for their advice.

Use a foldout sunscreen.
If you live in a hot climate, your automotive leather interior can age prematurely when exposed to excess heat and light. Tinted windows or a foldout sunscreen can help you protect your automotive leather interior.

Use professional detailing services.
If you're like us, you spend a lot of time in your car. Periodically visit your local automotive detailer. They carry products designed specifically for your automotive leather interior not available to the general public.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I’d say the fact that the Limited and Longhorn have these cool tags and the Laramie does not speaks volumes imho.
Wouldn’t surprise me if it was leatherette. Wouldn’t be the first manufacturer to do this

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Does GST also do the seats for the Laramie and Rebel? I have a 2021 Rebel and would love to find out who manufactured the leather seats on it (if it even real leather).

Users who are viewing this thread