5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not impressed,pretty disappointed

Donovo

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Ive been stalking these forums for a while now and decided i should stop being a creep and make a profile. I purchased a new to me 2019 ram 1500( new body style) a few months ago. I have not been happy with the quality of this rig. I bought it with 26,000 miles on it and it now has 36,xxx miles on it. I have driven it alot since ive had it..
Its super nice looking and comfortable and powerful!! But it has really stupid issues;
first the exhaust bolts rotted away and made a flange seperate,downstream,before the muffler. Fixed that myself has to tap bolts out and install new bolts and gasket.
The transmission had harsh downshifts-dealer addressed issue by updating tcm.
Excessive wind noise-dealer cannot recreate.
tailgate sticking closed hard to open,have to push in to release-fixed myself by adjusting strike pin.

Driveshaft clunk coming to and leaving a stop -really annoying and make the truck feel like garbage -dealer cannot see an issue …i think its the 2 piece driveshaft that has excessive play and slop..dealership keeps checking the brakes and charging me $180 for diagnostic..thanks!

Now theres this terrible rattling ,exhaust leak type noise on cold starts..sounds like a tractor when cold.hope its not collapsed lifters..
Very loud squeaking from driver side front when hitting small bumps in the road.

Radio loses all sound unless i switch from fm to sirius back to radio.
The truck is a 2019 ram bighorn,crew cab,6’4” box,4x4,hemi,level 2 package,3.92 rear.

The truck has 36,000 miles on it. Doesnt seem to be abused by its first owner either. Just seems like really poor manufacturing /quality control.
The dealership makes me feel like im crazy when i come in concerned about these issues. Im not too fond of fixing issues on my own on a $50,000 truck. The dealership doesnt want to help much unless i shell out the big bucks!

If anybody can chime in and offer advice i would much appreciate it! I feel like i bought a lemon!!
Have you guys been having these issues? Havent ram figured out the manifold warping thing yet?
How hard is it to make a drivetrain that is silent ?
This truck reminds me of the 2006 ram i had that thing was a POS…. Was hoping they got better but…😢
Ramcares -can you chime in ?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Ive been stalking these forums for a while now and decided i should stop being a creep and make a profile. I purchased a new to me 2019 ram 1500( new body style) a few months ago. I have not been happy with the quality of this rig. I bought it with 26,000 miles on it and it now has 36,xxx miles on it. I have driven it alot since ive had it..
Its super nice looking and comfortable and powerful!! But it has really stupid issues;
first the exhaust bolts rotted away and made a flange seperate,downstream,before the muffler. Fixed that myself has to tap bolts out and install new bolts and gasket.
The transmission had harsh downshifts-dealer addressed issue by updating tcm.
Excessive wind noise-dealer cannot recreate.
tailgate sticking closed hard to open,have to push in to release-fixed myself by adjusting strike pin.

Driveshaft clunk coming to and leaving a stop -really annoying and make the truck feel like garbage -dealer cannot see an issue …i think its the 2 piece driveshaft that has excessive play and slop..dealership keeps checking the brakes and charging me $180 for diagnostic..thanks!

Now theres this terrible rattling ,exhaust leak type noise on cold starts..sounds like a tractor when cold.hope its not collapsed lifters..
Very loud squeaking from driver side front when hitting small bumps in the road.

Radio loses all sound unless i switch from fm to sirius back to radio.
The truck is a 2019 ram bighorn,crew cab,6’4” box,4x4,hemi,level 2 package,3.92 rear.

The truck has 36,000 miles on it. Doesnt seem to be abused by its first owner either. Just seems like really poor manufacturing /quality control.
The dealership makes me feel like im crazy when i come in concerned about these issues. Im not too fond of fixing issues on my own on a $50,000 truck. The dealership doesnt want to help much unless i shell out the big bucks!

If anybody can chime in and offer advice i would much appreciate it! I feel like i bought a lemon!!
Have you guys been having these issues? Havent ram figured out the manifold warping thing yet?
How hard is it to make a drivetrain that is silent ?
This truck reminds me of the 2006 ram i had that thing was a POS…. Was hoping they got better but…😢
Ramcares -can you chime in ?
sorry you are having so many issues

2019 was the first year of the remodel and there are lots of post here and elsewhere about all the problems the 2019 has

Donovo

Reaction score
Sounds like somebody traded in their lemon. Seriously
Exactly my thoughts as well. Im going to see what my state considers a lemon and try to get rid of this thing. Everytime i get into it i wait for the next noise ,or clunk, or vibration. Its exhausting!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
sorry you are having so many issues

2019 was the first year of the remodel and there are lots of post here and elsewhere about all the problems the 2019 has

For sure there are early 2019s with more problems than others, but myself and a couple of people I know with 2019s have been virtually flawless. My 2019 has been the most trouble free new vehicle I've owned in probably a decade.

Sounds like the OP probably got someone else's problems, hopefully the dealer will make it right, maybe with some help with Ramcares or escalation to Mopar.

Donovo

Reaction score
For sure there are early 2019s with more problems than others, but myself and a couple of people I know with 2019s have been virtually flawless. My 2019 has been the most trouble free new vehicle I've owned in probably a decade.

Sounds like the OP probably got someone else's problems, hopefully the dealer will make it right, maybe with some help with Ramcares or escalation to Mopar.
How does one go about contacting ramcares? Does ram care? Lol. The dealership sure as hell doesnt!
It sucks because its such a nice truck. Nicest ive ever owned. But it’s got these issues. Well see what happens, ill keep the thread updated being i get ahold of ramcares or mopar

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How does one go about contacting ramcares? Does ram care? Lol. The dealership sure as hell doesnt!
It sucks because its such a nice truck. Nicest ive ever owned. But it’s got these issues. Well see what happens, ill keep the thread updated being i get ahold of ramcares or mopar
@RamCares

Being as you were still under factory warranty, I'd definitely be pissed the dealer charged you diagnostic fees for your drive line noises. Do you have another dealer you could go to that isn't too far away? CJDR dealers are all privately owned, and only certified through Stellantis. Each one will be different experience.

armyhonor27

Reaction score
@RamCares is on here...I'm sure they will post on here asking you to reach out with your info.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Donovo what radio do you have in the truck? There are updates available for both the 8.4 and 12" screens that you can download and do yourself seems a lot of trucks have missed the OTA updates pushed byUconnect.vo

Nels

Reaction score
My 2019 also had a broken bolt on the flange where the muffler connects. The remaining part stayed in rhe muffler flange. Temporary fix was a c-clamp, but rather than drill out the old bolt I'm taking it as an opportunity to swap out the muffler for an aftermarket to take advantage of the 5.7 hemi's vocals.!

Donovo

Reaction score
@Donovo what radio do you have in the truck? There are updates available for both the 8.4 and 12" screens that you can download and do yourself seems a lot of trucks have missed the OTA updates pushed byUconnect.vo
Uconnect 8.4”. It’sa nice unit, when it works. How do you update yourself?

MeatSalad

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue. I went to the dealer last week thinking it was the exhaust manifold and would be covered under warranty, but they said it was the flange bolt and wanted 115$ for the diagnosis and another 335$ to fix it. I walked out pissed. For one I don't think the rust looked too bad, and I believe the rust was 'in-between' where the gasket was, which leads me to believe the bolt backed out that allowed water to get in and rust the bolt from the inside out. For one I don't think they should have charged me to diagnose a problem that should have been warranty, and this is an obvious issue that Ram is not addressing or covering. It should have been a recall to swap the bolts a long time ago. Very disappointed in my first Ram!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Limited here...best riding, most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned. 40,000 miles now and still feels new. Sorry what you are dealing with, but I wouldn't say RAM's are junk...I still feel like they raised the bar for all the other trucks.

Quint

Reaction score
There are bad apples in every bunch. It sounds like someone drove that truck for 26,000 miles and then decided that it had too many little problems, and then sold it to you. I wouldn't feel bad, as most of these things would be nearly impossible to catch in a 3rd party vehicle transaction. There's not much that you can do except to live with them, keep pushing the dealer, and/or sell the truck to someone else....or the dealer.

Quint

Reaction score
Each state is different, but a "lemon" in the legal sense usually means that you are the first owner. If you bought this truck from someone else, the lemon law typically does not apply. The truck may have been cared for, but it also may have been in an accident that was relatively well-concealed except for the issues that are cropping up.

I had Ford buy back one of my Rangers about 15 years ago. It was a fight but worth it. The BBB did a lot of the heavy lifting for me. In your case, it's more a situation of a vehicle that was sold as-is without warranty - assuming that you did not buy from a dealer lot.

BrickHouse

Reaction score
Sadly hate to say, You’re not alone. My 19’ has very similar plus some other additional problems from day one.
Feel your frustration.

Sportznut

Reaction score
I have a 2019 laramie with the hemi. Had one problem under warranty (steering rack). Other than that it has been great. I have 45,000 miles on it.

If you have not gone over 36,000 miles maybe you should consider buying the extended warranty to limit your losses?

Sorry to hear you're having problems, that has to be frustrating given the cost of vehicles these days.

My truck was built in Michigan. Were there other places these were built? Just wondering if there's a pattern to the good ones versus the bad ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 laramie with the hemi. Had one problem under warranty (steering rack). Other than that it has been great. I have 45,000 miles on it.

If you have not gone over 36,000 miles maybe you should consider buying the extended warranty to limit your losses?

Sorry to hear you're having problems, that has to be frustrating given the cost of vehicles these days.

My truck was built in Michigan. Were there other places these were built? Just wondering if there's a pattern to the good ones versus the bad ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Only one plant building Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread