5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Detecting that Key Fob is Missing

vthingo

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if anyone else has come across this problem with their 2022 1500 Big Horn. This was negligence on my part but I had left my set of keys on top of my tonneau cover while putting my kid in their car seat, and drove off without taking the keys with me. Car started, and drove half an hour on the freeway.. I did hear a weird noise like something falling but didn’t know what it was at first. Today, I realized it was my keys after not being able to find them, luckily I have a spare key.

Even after putting the car in the park in my driveway, I did not get a notification that the key fob was not detected. I tested just now if I threw my key out into my lawn as I was driving by if it would let me continue driving and it did. I even put it in park, and reversed out of the driveway and there was still no “key fob not detected” error.

I remember in my 2020 1500 that I had the key in my pocket, had gotten out of the passenger side and spouse who was driving said that the key fob was not detected almost immediately (he was not in park).

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure if anyone else has come across this problem with their 2022 1500 Big Horn. This was negligence on my part but I had left my set of keys on top of my tonneau cover while putting my kid in their car seat, and drove off without taking the keys with me. Car started, and drove half an hour on the freeway.. I did hear a weird noise like something falling but didn’t know what it was at first. Today, I realized it was my keys after not being able to find them, luckily I have a spare key.

Even after putting the car in the park in my driveway, I did not get a notification that the key fob was not detected. I tested just now if I threw my key out into my lawn as I was driving by if it would let me continue driving and it did. I even put it in park, and reversed out of the driveway and there was still no “key fob not detected” error.

I remember in my 2020 1500 that I had the key in my pocket, had gotten out of the passenger side and spouse who was driving said that the key fob was not detected almost immediately (he was not in park).
weird
when I exit my truck with fob the horn honks, I guess because the fob was gone and you shut it down it did not have time to register it missing
posters have reported that truck will continue to run until shut off but then will not restart.
you need to contact dealer to disable fob and get you new ones as that fob will still work making it easy to steal your truck

vthingo

Reaction score
weird
when I exit my truck with fob the horn honks, I guess because the fob was gone and you shut it down it did not have time to register it missing
posters have reported that truck will continue to run until shut off but then will not restart.
you need to contact dealer to disable fob and get you new ones as that fob will still work making it easy to steal your truck
I didn’t shut it off as soon I got in my driveway and put it in park, so that’s what is weird to me. I had it running for a good almost 5 minutes after putting in park. I’ve also had it honk if I get out with the engine still running so I’m not sure why what’s going on.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I didn’t shut it off as soon I got in my driveway and put it in park, so that’s what is weird to me. I had it running for a good almost 5 minutes after putting in park. I’ve also had it honk if I get out with the engine still running so I’m not sure why what’s going on.
but you did not get out with it running? correct.
it only looks for the fob if it is running and you get out.
other wise it does not care.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure the fob isn't in the truck? Had a similar issue with my 300. Turns out my wife's fob was in a bag in the car and she didn't realize it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Once the truck is running, you have to open a door, remove the fob from the cab, and close the door in order to get the “key fob has left the vehicle” message, so just throwing it out the window while it’s running won’t bring up the message. The “key fob not detected” message comes up when trying to start the truck. Once it’s running, that specific message won’t come up anymore.
Here’s what probably happened when you set your keys on the bed cover:
There is an antenna inside the cab on the back wall and one under the front center console/seat. Those are responsible for detecting if the fob is inside the truck. There is an antenna in each of the rear doors. Those are responsible for detecting if the fob is outside the truck. The fob on the bed cover was probably close enough to the cabin antenna on the back wall, and far enough away from the door antennas that the truck thought the fob was inside, and that’s why you were able to start the truck. Once the fob fell off the cover, and since a door hasn’t been opened and closed, there was no message stating the fob left the vehicle.

vthingo

Reaction score
Once the truck is running, you have to open a door, remove the fob from the cab, and close the door in order to get the “key fob has left the vehicle” message, so just throwing it out the window while it’s running won’t bring up the message. The “key fob not detected” message comes up when trying to start the truck. Once it’s running, that specific message won’t come up anymore.
Here’s what probably happened when you set your keys on the bed cover:
There is an antenna inside the cab on the back wall and one under the front center console/seat. Those are responsible for detecting if the fob is inside the truck. There is an antenna in each of the rear doors. Those are responsible for detecting if the fob is outside the truck. The fob on the bed cover was probably close enough to the cabin antenna on the back wall, and far enough away from the door antennas that the truck thought the fob was inside, and that’s why you were able to start the truck. Once the fob fell off the cover, and since a door hasn’t been opened and closed, there was no message stating the fob left the vehicle.
Thanks, that definitely makes sense. Just irked that I gotta get a new key plus get the code changed on my spare in case someone picked it up. Just got the truck last week so I still have the dealer tag on there with the partial VIN on it. 🤦🏻‍♀️

vthingo

Reaction score
Are you sure the fob isn't in the truck? Had a similar issue with my 300. Turns out my wife's fob was in a bag in the car and she didn't realize it.
Tried to start it without my spare key around and got the message that the key fob wasn’t detected, so nope!

Users who are viewing this thread