5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Garage Queen RAMs cleaning recommendations

JayMann

Reaction score
hey guys!

This isn't meant as a slight to anyone that is planning on keeping their RAM in pristine condition (I actually envy you) but I wanted to go ahead and get this out of the way as this truck will unfortunately have to be a heavy use weekend warrior truck.

That being said. I STILL would like to try and keep the paint and anything else (if possible) in as good a condition as possible so I'm here for any recommendations you guys might have.

I plan on not doing too many washes on it a year as it will be covered in gritty fine red Carolina clay dirt for 70% of the time during the year. With that being the case, what wax or sealant are you guys using or recommend? I don't want to do a clear bra because I think I would rather let the truck age with some scars on it? (yes that's how unsure I am of wanting to do that, haha)

Current plan:

Wash once every 6 months (with ONR) with the 10-15 rag method where you use a rag from the clean bucket, wash a panel and then throw it in the dirty bucket.
Then do possibly do a clay bar (still up in the air on this one)
Then do a wax or sealant

I WISH I could've found one of these used in the way I wanted haha - that way I probably wouldn't care so much about its condition. Actually a 2500 power wagon with this updated interior is really what I would kill for

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I had ceramic coating (Optimum) in my previous black SUV that i maintained using ONR and their clay towel. i cant handwash almost 6 months here in winter, so go through touchless carwash when i can. planning on doing the same with my RAM, getting into detailer in a couple of days. the coating itself ... i might get a different one, the detailer is having better luck with this new thing.. i cant remember the name of it now

JayMann

Reaction score
I had ceramic coating (Optimum) in my previous black SUV that i maintained using ONR and their clay towel. i cant handwash almost 6 months here in winter, so go through touchless carwash when i can. planning on doing the same with my RAM, getting into detailer in a couple of days. the coating itself ... i might get a different one, the detailer is having better luck with this new thing.. i cant remember the name of it now

oooo

let me know what it is that you end up going with as this is all new to me.

JayMann

Reaction score
ah nevermind - did a bit more googling and it seems like if you were ever to need a touch paint job done on ceramic coating, it sounds like you'd have to get it removed and then (obviously) re-done.

I may be going the old school wax route then and doing it everything 6 months

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
ah nevermind - did a bit more googling and it seems like if you were ever to need a touch paint job done on ceramic coating, it sounds like you'd have to get it removed and then (obviously) re-done.

I may be going the old school wax route then and doing it everything 6 months
that is correct, in my previous vehicle, i got rear ended, they had to repair the bumper and paint it and i had to redo the ceramic coating on the bumper

SacRebel

Reaction score
If you really care about keeping your paint in excellent condition then you should consider a ceramic coating. It's a well worth it investment in your vehicle.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
hey guys!

This isn't meant as a slight to anyone that is planning on keeping their RAM in pristine condition (I actually envy you) but I wanted to go ahead and get this out of the way as this truck will unfortunately have to be a heavy use weekend warrior truck.

That being said. I STILL would like to try and keep the paint and anything else (if possible) in as good a condition as possible so I'm here for any recommendations you guys might have.

I plan on not doing too many washes on it a year as it will be covered in gritty fine red Carolina clay dirt for 70% of the time during the year. With that being the case, what wax or sealant are you guys using or recommend? I don't want to do a clear bra because I think I would rather let the truck age with some scars on it? (yes that's how unsure I am of wanting to do that, haha)

Current plan:

Wash once every 6 months (with ONR) with the 10-15 rag method where you use a rag from the clean bucket, wash a panel and then throw it in the dirty bucket.
Then do possibly do a clay bar (still up in the air on this one)
Then do a wax or sealant

I WISH I could've found one of these used in the way I wanted haha - that way I probably wouldn't care so much about its condition. Actually a 2500 power wagon with this updated interior is really what I would kill for
Use a good paint sealant (basically a synthetic wax). Better yet, get the newer SIO2 sealants out on the market, like Hydrosilex or even Meguiar's. Pretty inexpensive, and keeps your paint slick and protected agains the elements. Kind of a poor-mans ceramic coating but without the expense. Lasts for months, and it's very hydrophobic.

When I got into SIO2s, there were just a few around. Now everyone's making them.

Here's Meguiar's. It has garnered great reviews by a lot of people in the detailing channels. Very inexpensive (~$15.00). I plan on getting some once I run out of Hydrosilex.

Cheers,

KRField

Reaction score
A good sealant like Collinite or Finish Kare FK1000p. Will be good for you.

Ceramic coatings are great. I will be doing with Polish Angel color match cosmic or TAC Systems Sparkle when it warms up. Coatings however have a different maintenance system to keep the longevity and performance. If your not OCD about keeping the truck swirl free I would not invest in a coating. There is only one or two out there that are self healing, but none are scratch resistant. They help minor “wash induce marring”.

With the sealant do your wash and clay every 6 months and apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use a good paint sealant (basically a synthetic wax). Better yet, get the newer SIO2 sealants out on the market, like Hydrosilex or even Meguiar's. Pretty inexpensive, and keeps your paint slick and protected agains the elements. Kind of a poor-mans ceramic coating but without the expense. Lasts for months, and it's very hydrophobic.

When I got into SIO2s, there were just a few around. Now everyone's making them.

Here's Meguiar's. It has garnered great reviews by a lot of people in the detailing channels. Very inexpensive (~$15.00). I plan on getting some once I run out of Hydrosilex.

Cheers,
I’ve finally got my hands on Meguiars this weekend. So I’ll do a quick review on my experience first time with it. On Saturday I cleaned my inner wheels and finished off with it, while doing a rotate on the truck and looked & sheared water like crazy & looked great. Inner wheels will be my over all base of how long it lasts. As I will probably only hose them down or if anything till next rotate.
So I washed the truck and prepped it for Sunday am product bonding.

I did the wet applicator method for base coat over whole truck. Took me about 1.5-2 hours. Way longer then it should. I also started little before 7am with little to no coffee and approx 45 degrees out haha. This was everything plastic, windows, wheels. Making sure I didn’t miss any areas and strong solid baseline for my own reference. Iknow they say no cure time. It’s got to be. All others do. So I will take to work keep it in shade and knock another layer on top with the quick way— have wet surface, spray product , work in with damp towel, and finish with dry off with towel.

If been washing this truck new about every week or other with Meguiar wash and wax I’ve had before and Meguiars quick spray wax during the week when it’s been nice out and never lasted past a rain/wash cycle and I’d work the hell out of that spray with heavy app and buff . It looked great but this new stuff just wow. The look shine and it’s feel is crazy never had that before out of a product used at home. Not saying other stuff doesn’t do that, but for 13.95 at wallymart and a 5$ rebate that’s already been processed through. Pretty amazing for a 26oz 9$ bottle of a product!!

Little does go along way there will be some streaking especially on windows so don’t over apply like myself lol.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also did wife’s van. Went and did a 4$ wash at a close rep car wash and zoomed though the drying part. While van was still wet I got out and did the wet surface-spray product, spread with towel then dry with different towel. Got it home in garage and went over it with dry towel again- buffing areas with towel if needed. Again windows seem to be tough on me. They weren’t as bad as the truck though.
Over all this was a 20min process and van looks great and surface feels smooth. Not to truck level but for as little effort I put in. Pretty awesome stuff.
To finish this product review, it will let you know if paint/clear needs some love cause it won’t bond to it hence ......wife’s van tailgate:rolleyes:. Ugh. More work. Lol, hope this info has helped someone out.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I use optimum products, they are expensive at the face of it, but a 32 oz bottle lasts a long time since they are super concentrated. Use ORN wash and shine for no rinse wash, then while drying use OptiSeal as drying agent. It seals the exterior and you are good for ... well they say 6 months, but depending on where you live it could be 3-4 months. Just did a ceramic coating , waiting 7 days before her first bath

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I also did wife’s van. Went and did a 4$ wash at a close rep car wash and zoomed though the drying part. While van was still wet I got out and did the wet surface-spray product, spread with towel then dry with different towel. Got it home in garage and went over it with dry towel again- buffing areas with towel if needed. Again windows seem to be tough on me. They weren’t as bad as the truck though.
Over all this was a 20min process and van looks great and surface feels smooth. Not to truck level but for as little effort I put in. Pretty awesome stuff.
To finish this product review, it will let you know if paint/clear needs some love cause it won’t bond to it hence ......wife’s van tailgate:rolleyes:. Ugh. More work. Lol, hope this info has helped someone out.
Thanks for the review
There is really no cure time. Believe the hype. It’s true. Hydrosilex is the same. Spray, wipe, and done.
Going forward, just use it like a spray detailer/drying agent. Shouldn’t take you more than 15 minutes.

Cheers,
Neurobiology

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ thanks Neuro. I will do that from this point. Have a good base. Sure felt like a lot of work though(y) lol

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use optimum products, they are expensive at the face of it, but a 32 oz bottle lasts a long time since they are super concentrated. Use ORN wash and shine for no rinse wash, then while drying use OptiSeal as drying agent. It seals the exterior and you are good for ... well they say 6 months, but depending on where you live it could be 3-4 months. Just did a ceramic coating , waiting 7 days before her first bath
Seen great things on that line also. It’s hard to change as others say. Get with one product, it does great and you stay and not stray. Until someone wows you with in yo face results you can see and feel.....

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried "The Last Coat" or TLC? It apparently is a competitor to "F11 Final Coat" but lasts through soap car wash where F11 will wash away with soap. All the Youtube videos on it seem positive and TLC has a full year no hassle warranty. Is this ok to use on top of wax or just instead of wax? Apparently developed by detailers. Haven't noticed any discussion of these products unless I missed it. Thanks!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried "The Last Coat" or TLC? It apparently is a competitor to "F11 Final Coat" but lasts through soap car wash where F11 will wash away with soap. All the Youtube videos on it seem positive and TLC has a full year no hassle warranty. Is this ok to use on top of wax or just instead of wax? Apparently developed by detailers. Haven't noticed any discussion of these products unless I missed it. Thanks!
I have not heard about it, but I have seen many expert detailers mention that F11 is really no better than a good wax/sealant. The only difference is millions in youtube marketing budget.

The conventional wisdom on layering is, you apply your longest lasting product first, and work your way up. So with traditional coatings, you would put a sealant first (3-5 mo life), and then your carnauba on top (2-3 week life), and then use your spray detailer / liquid wax after every wash to finish it off.

If you have ceramic coat, it varies by mfg. Some allow layering, and some have dedicated products from the same family that they recommend.

In my case, I am currently using Hydrosilex (SIO2), which doesn't really need layering, so I skip the carnauba step, but... after every wash I do use Meguiar's liquid spray wax as a drying agent . Helps with the wipe down and leaves no water spots anywhere. I've been using it for years. I buy it by the gallon and lasts a very long time.

Note:

Layering is not required at all. Extra protection is very debatable, since the top coats don't last as long. A base synthetic would be enough for most people. I am super OCD so you can ignore this and just apply a good ceramic, sealant or SIO2 and be done. ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^Nice, I’ve heard never used. Seems like amazing stuff.
Pardon my ignorance here. I keep hearing everyone talking about claying these trucks. I’m I behind on times? These are still about brand new.I'm not bashing at all. I’m more asking if I’m doing something wrong. Lol.

I’ve washed mine just about every week since new. Using quality products and about every precaution of modern day washing vehicle properly. Even have a hose tap out of my water softener just for filtered clean water supply.
With all that I assume doing a sealant is ok? No?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
^^^Nice, I’ve heard never used. Seems like amazing stuff.
Pardon my ignorance here. I keep hearing everyone talking about claying these trucks. I’m I behind on times? These are still about brand new.I'm not bashing at all. I’m more asking if I’m doing something wrong. Lol.

I’ve washed mine just about every week since new. Using quality products and about every precaution of modern day washing vehicle properly. Even have a hose tap out of my water softener just for filtered clean water supply.
With all that I assume doing a sealant is ok? No?
You only need to clay if the paint feels rough to the touch. Very often, new vehicles get rail dust on the paint, epecially the horizontal surfaces like roof/hood/trunk while being transported, or left sitting near the rail yards awaiting shipment.

Again, doesn’t happen every time, so just feel the paint with your hand or microfiber when clean. If catches, or feels rough, claying will remedy that. Caveat is that it can be mildly abrasive, so if you clay, you may need to do a light polish with something like M205 to finish it off. There are different grades. Buy the mid-range clay to be safe. YMMV.

My vehicle was mostly fine, but the hood was very rough, so I had to clay and polish mine. The rest of the truck did not needed it.

Cheers,

JayMann

Reaction score
You only need to clay if the paint feels rough to the touch. Very often, new vehicles get rail dust on the paint, epecially the horizontal surfaces like roof/hood/trunk while being transported, or left sitting near the rail yards awaiting shipment.

Again, doesn’t happen every time, so just feel the paint with your hand or microfiber when clean. If catches, or feels rough, claying will remedy that. Caveat is that it can be mildly abrasive, so if you clay, you may need to do a light polish with something like M205 to finish it off. There are different grades. Buy the mid-range clay to be safe. YMMV.

My vehicle was mostly fine, but the hood was very rough, so I had to clay and polish mine. The rest of the truck did not needed it.

Cheers,

This is kind of what I was looking for, need to do the initial clean up before I can start waxing it etc.

Is it ok to polish outside? or should it be done in a garage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online