5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise/binding after diff fluid change

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I let the dealer change my front and rear diff fluid today and it felt fine at first but after driving back home form work I noticed some binding in light turns and also some noise with the window down. almost feels like the truck is in 4wd on dry pavement. I thought it was in the front but I'm actually thing it it is the rear binding now. Could the dealer have failed to add the limited slip additive?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever it is, you should contact them back and tell them there’s an issue. Who knows, the tech could’ve left fluid out. Your rear end wouldn’t last long if that were the case, so it’s just an example of a mistake they could make. Who knows what actually happened.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yikes! You might even think about having it towed back to the dealer. Obviously if it is their fault they will pay for any damages, but you don't want to risk breaking a part that is on back order

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, I'm going to have to get it back over to the dealer one way or another tomorrow.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's probably missing a friction modifier (the limited slip additive you mention).
yes, They redid it with the modifier this morning and all smooth and quiet now. You would think they would scan the vin to see what the vehicle requires, that said normally I usually get good service from this dealer and they have taken care of me in the past

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yes, They redid it with the modifier this morning and all smooth and quiet now. You would think they would scan the vin to see what the vehicle requires, that said normally I usually get good service from this dealer and they have taken care of me in the past
That usually comes down to them having the low-tier techs doing the work. It could even come down to that person being hung over or having a bad day.

RedFred

Reaction score
To play devils advocate, Why are you guys changing diff fluid already? In my 2015 Ram 1500 hemi 4x4, I have 165k miles and still haven't changed the diff fluid and have no plans to change it either.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To play devils advocate, Why are you guys changing diff fluid already? In my 2015 Ram 1500 hemi 4x4, I have 165k miles and still haven't changed the diff fluid and have no plans to change it either.
I think most manufacturers recommend every 30K for heavy towing and 60K non towing. Like any other oil, it breaks down over time, gets dirty, and loses it lubricating properties. I would defiantly change by 100K.

RedFred

Reaction score
I think most manufacturers recommend every 30K for heavy towing and 60K non towing. Like any other oil, it breaks down over time, gets dirty, and loses it lubricating properties. I would defiantly change by 100K.

I'm in the "I don't change the diff fluid" camp. I don't tow though. I never changed the diff fluid on any car or truck I had, and drove more than a few to over 160k miles. I know, for preventive maintenance, I should. But the diff will outlast the rest of the truck , imo. At least that has been my experience.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s probably not as necessary any more with synthetic fluids, but that’s just conjecture on my part. Conventional fluids absolutely break down though.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the "I don't change the diff fluid" camp. I don't tow though. I never changed the diff fluid on any car or truck I had, and drove more than a few to over 160k miles. I know, for preventive maintenance, I should. But the diff will outlast the rest of the truck , imo. At least that has been my experience.
Some people actually maintain their vehicles.

Jako

Reaction score
I'm in the replaced my rear differential at 80K+ camp on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. No real heavy duty use or towing, some but not a work truck, for the most part a daily driver. I plan on changing fluids just before the 5 year mark when I need to get it inspected for the "lifetime warranty".
Not sure if changing the fluid would make a difference (2001 or 2019) but I plan on "riding" my 2019 Ram to the end and with proper maintenance good chance it will outlast me.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with a little preventative maintenance, but Ram recommends changing the axle fluid every 30,000 miles if you're using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing. They don't have an interval for regular use.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed my diffs at ~5,000 miles. I wanted the break-in swarf out. Whereas fine metallic particles circulating endlessly between the gears, bearings, and seals MAY not do any harm...but why leave it there?

Plus, it let me see the condition. If there were any chunks are particles larger than dust, then I'd rather know before having a catastrophic failure.

One final bonus: it let me be assured that the diff oil was filled properly. (There have been several folks reporting factory fill a little low.)

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I changed my diffs at ~5,000 miles. I wanted the break-in swarf out. Whereas fine metallic particles circulating endlessly between the gears, bearings, and seals MAY not do any harm...but why leave it there?

Plus, it let me see the condition. If there were any chunks are particles larger than dust, then I'd rather know before having a catastrophic failure.

One final bonus: it let me be assured that the diff oil was filled properly. (There have been several folks reporting factory fill a little low.)

Unfortunately, some of those folks weren't filling the differential per Ram's spec's. Some may have been low, but it seems most were probably spot on.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you filled the rear diff to the bottom of the threads, you over filled the diff.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you filled the rear diff to the bottom of the threads, you over filled the diff.
My software doesn’t show the procedure, so how does FCA say to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online