5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise/binding after diff fluid change

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you filled the rear diff to the bottom of the threads, you over filled the diff.
Mr. Manual has a slightly different take on it:
The fluid level should be even with the bottom
of the fill hole (within 1/4 in (6.4 mm) of edge of
hole) for the front axle and rear axle.

That means, to me, from 1/4 inch below to "the bottom of the fill hole".

Since it doesn't specify the temperature of the oil at that measurement, it's not rocket science.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To play devils advocate, Why are you guys changing diff fluid already? In my 2015 Ram 1500 hemi 4x4, I have 165k miles and still haven't changed the diff fluid and have no plans to change it either.
Then you obviously don't want your vehicle to last by skipping in cheap/easy recommended maintenance items. No fluids in your vehicle are designed to be lifetime fills. Even the trans fluid needs changed, despite what Ram may suggest. I would do differential fluid every 50-60k miles personally. Trans every 70k miles. Brake fluid and power steering fluid also need changed. They all break down over time and lose properties needed for proper performance and protection of the systems.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Me too. I just changed my original spark plugs at 160k miles. (y)
Plugs are supposed to be changed at 100k miles. So doing maintenance doesn't mean you are doing it properly.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes, They redid it with the modifier this morning and all smooth and quiet now. You would think they would scan the vin to see what the vehicle requires, that said normally I usually get good service from this dealer and they have taken care of me in the past
Next time just do it yourself. There's lot of YouTube videos and it's as easy as taking two bolts out. I did mine at about 40k miles and used Mopar fluid and friction modifier. My rear end fluid was pretty dark, the front looked fine.

I tow quite a bit in winter conditions on snowmobile trips so that was my reasoning for doing it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

RedFred

Reaction score
Plugs are supposed to be changed at 100k miles. So doing maintenance doesn't mean you are doing it properly.

It was still running, so I call that preventive maintenance. (y)

RedFred

Reaction score
Then you obviously don't want your vehicle to last by skipping in cheap/easy recommended maintenance items. No fluids in your vehicle are designed to be lifetime fills. Even the trans fluid needs changed, despite what Ram may suggest. I would do differential fluid every 50-60k miles personally. Trans every 70k miles. Brake fluid and power steering fluid also need changed. They all break down over time and lose properties needed for proper performance and protection of the systems.

The first car I ever owned, I wanted it to last forever. I did all the maintenance on it early. Changed oil every 3k miles or less, changed sparked plugs before it was recommended, etc., etc.. What did it do? Left me stranded 3 times on the side of the road. A friend of mine had an import car. Never did any maintenance. I kept waiting for that car to blow up so I could tell him I told you so. It never did. Never left him stranded, never stopped running. I learned then, that the most important factor about a vehicle lasting, is that it needs to be built well from the start. I never changed diff fluid in any car or truck, and I never changed trans fluid ever either. I'll change spark plugs when it starts running funny. I change engine oil, occasionally the air filter, and maintain the brakes. And it better run. Otherwise it will get a kick to the curb. And I have had great luck with my cars and trucks over the years. All driven to high mileage, with almost no issues. I did have to do an AC repair to the RAM once. As a testament to RAM, both my trucks have been great and trouble free except for the one AC issue mentioned. Between the 2 trucks, that was over 300k miles of driving combined. And who ever got my first RAM after I traded it in, imo got a great truck. And I never got around to changing the spark plugs in that one. Second owner can change plugs and the diff fluid if he wants. Truth is, I probably did less damage to my diff by not changing the fluid, than the OP did by having his fluid changed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The first car I ever owned, I wanted it to last forever. I did all the maintenance on it early. Changed oil every 3k miles or less, changed sparked plugs before it was recommended, etc., etc.. What did it do? Left me stranded 3 times on the side of the road. A friend of mine had an import car. Never did any maintenance. I kept waiting for that car to blow up so I could tell him I told you so. It never did. Never left him stranded, never stopped running. I learned then, that the most important factor about a vehicle lasting, is that it needs to be built well from the start. I never changed diff fluid in any car or truck, and I never changed trans fluid ever either. I'll change spark plugs when it starts running funny. I change engine oil, occasionally the air filter, and maintain the brakes. And it better run. Otherwise it will get a kick to the curb. And I have had great luck with my cars and trucks over the years. All driven to high mileage, with almost no issues. I did have to do an AC repair to the RAM once. As a testament to RAM, both my trucks have been great and trouble free except for the one AC issue mentioned. Between the 2 trucks, that was over 300k miles of driving combined. And who ever got my first RAM after I traded it in, imo got a great truck. And I never got around to changing the spark plugs in that one. Second owner can change plugs and the diff fluid if he wants. Truth is, I probably did less damage to my diff by not changing the fluid, than the OP did by having his fluid changed.
To each their own. I will properly maintain my vehicles to ensure long life, and not just hope they don't have issues. Waiting until there is an issue to do regular maintenance usually just leads to higher repair bills as there is already damage to the parts.

As for OP, if all they did was forgot the friction modifier, there will have been no damage to his differential.

RedFred

Reaction score
To each their own. I will properly maintain my vehicles to ensure long life, and not just hope they don't have issues. Waiting until there is an issue to do regular maintenance usually just leads to higher repair bills as there is already damage to the parts.

As for OP, if all they did was forgot the friction modifier, there will have been no damage to his differential.

That's my point, you can't ensure anything! You can do all the preventive maintenance you want, and you can still be hoping you don't have issues. And someone else that never changed the diff fluid can drive 200k plus miles and never have an issue. If it was built well to begin with, the diff should outlast the truck, imo. If it wasn't built well, changing the fluid may or may not kick the can down the road a bit.

But to each their own. I am just poking the bear some to make a point. We are on a truck forum. Most people on a forum strictly keep up with maintenance and then some. I'm just saying, diff fluid change is not at the top of my list. Actually not on my list at all. I'll wait for one of my cars or trucks to prove me wrong, but it hasn't happened yet in my 30 years of driving and I believe I won't see it happen either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online