5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No surround camera, blue screen, stuttering radio

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First issue I’ve run into with this amazing truck, and started happening as soon as I crossed 10,000 kms (or 6,000 miles for you ram loving gents south of the border)

I always back into my spot at work, underground... and when I backed in this am, camera worked as expected.
When leaving at work, drive out, so no need for the camera. The radio was cutting in and out but I didn’t pay it any attention as I was 2 floors below street level. When I got on the street, I noticed the radio would play 2-4 seconds, then cut out for 1-2 seconds, over and over. Switched between xm/fm/am and same result in all modes
Tried usb, same thing.
Drove a few blocks being annoyed by the radio, pulled into a parking lot, turned off the truck and back on. Seemed better, for about 15 seconds, and then resumed the intermittent stuff
Needed to back out of where I parked and this is where I noticed the blue backup camera screen. Hit the surround camera button and it would not come on. Turned all off again and back on, no change.
Drove a few miles. Parked for 10 minutes. Not any better when I left.
Got home, left it for 30 minutes. No change.

Checked tailgate. Still no camera joy

If I put truck in acc, radio does not stutter and plays fine. If it’s in run (with or without engine running) the. It plays for 15 seconds ok, then starts being intermittent.

I’ve seen a few posts about blue cam screen where it comes back eventually, but never seen one attached to the intermittent radio.

Hoping that when I start it in the morning, all is well again.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After letting it sit overnight, no change

Blue screen for backup cam.... hitting the surround camera button just beeps and doesn’t do anything else
Radio still intermittent on all sources.

Drove it to work, and man is it annoying listening to the radio cutting out! I turned off radio, and listened to my phone instead...

Got to work, disconnected battery for 20 mins (disconnect, walk 2 blocks for coffee and back, reconnect)
Still no camera
But listening to radio for almost 6 minutes w/o interruption gives me hope!
Will see after work if there’s any other improvements

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update:
Everything was working as it should when came time to leave work.
Any time either Uconnect or Sirius XM does an OTA (over-the-air) update, it can take HOURS, and/or sometimes the next day or a few restarts, to settle down and get back to normal.
My advice to all Ram owners is to just be patient for a day or two, drive the vehicle as you normally would, and just live without the screen stuff for a day. THEN if still acting up, maybe take to dealer. I know it's frustrating when it seems like the Uconnect/Sirius XM is on the blink, but these systems are inherently slow, and updating them just takes a much longer time than anything else we're used to. The systems we all have, up through 2020 model year, are truly old technology, not fast at all.
Be patient.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually updates come with a heads up notice first

And seeing that issue started while I was underground, I doubt an update happened at that time

But as you said, patience.... I kinda was, waiting out different stages.... and in the end it worked out

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually updates come with a heads up notice first

And seeing that issue started while I was underground, I doubt an update happened at that time

But as you said, patience.... I kinda was, waiting out different stages.... and in the end it worked out
Yes, hopefully they give proper notice of pending update, but I suppose sometimes they fail to do that, or possibly sometimes we as users just don't see it.
I got a warning before my last Sirius XM update, and I was able to re-schedule it for a late-night start, when I knew I'd be asleep and not using the truck (a 2020 Laramie Longhorn 12" screen). It did its thing, and as it turned out, I didn't even start the truck the next day. Two days after OTA update, I went about my business, the screen was totally black except for when in reverse the camera display worked correctly, but other than that, no Sirius XM and no Uconnect at all. I thought sure it was hosed, but I just kept driving it for the day, which was errands so a few vehicle off & on cycles, and by the end of the day, at the last start, it all started working again. No issues at all once it finally got itself sorted out and ready to socialize again - kind of like it went AWOL for a bit but eventually decided to come back.
These multi-day/multi-vehicle-restart updates are unexpected behavior in today's modern device world, but I guess up through Uconnect 4 we just have to learn to expect the ultra-slow, quirky update procedure. FCA touts the Uconnect 5 available on some 2021 models is 5X faster than Uconnect 4.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
The radio cutting in for a few, and then out sounds like it could be a damaged cable or loose connection instead of your headunit being fried..
Pulled this off google:
When a car stereo cuts out and then turns back on: The problem is usually in the wiring. If the display shuts off at the same time the music cuts out, then the unit is probably losing power. Tracking down the fault can be difficult when the radio is functioning since it actually has power at that time

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Having the same problem...but also didn't get prompted about an update. How do you know when it starts an update? Is there a menu somewhere?

Seems like with the prevalence of this issue all of a sudden, FCA/Uconnect sent out an update that wasn't ready for prime time. Hopefully mine settles down.

Users who are viewing this thread