5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No OEM remote start for ‘20 Bighorn?

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Okay my apologies. I know there are 3rd party options, where I can pay someone to do the install. This would defeat the negotiations I made with the dealer to have them do it at no cost to me. And as you pointed out, dealers are shady so getting reimbursed would be a whole new headache.
After 4 weeks and a half dozen calls to my dealer, I’m fed up with the runaround. I was hoping to find one instance where someone else on this forum had their dealer install a non-factory remote start on their 2020 Ram. Then at least I’d know it can be done. My next call is to corporate and Dodge customer relations. More time wasted on this sh*t.
Hope it all works out for you.

Stack

Reaction score
Now it gets interesting. I raise hell at the dealership and threaten to return the truck. They tell me that they need to get a “3rd party kit” and hire an outside installer to do the remote start. This apparently will take more time to coordinate. Since I don’t really want to return the truck (and I don’t feel like waiting anymore), I give them an alternative solution. I tell the manager that if they install a bed extender we can forget this whole fiasco and call it a day. Done deal.

But wait ...there’s more. So they order the bed extender and three days later I get a call from the service department - “Good day Mr. A, we just want to let you know that your remote starter is here. When would you like to drop the truck off?”

WTF?!? So after more back and forth with the service department, I find out that an OEM starter (again WTF?!?) kit and the bed extender have arrived and are ready to be installed. For my troubles, the service manager offers me the extender at dealer cost. I take it.

So I dropped off the truck yesterday. I’ll post up in a few days when I get it back. Stay tuned...

Stack

Reaction score
The answer is YES ... you can install an OEM remote start on a 2020 Ram Bighorn with a Level 1 package.

Picked up the truck today with two new key fobs.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it taken care off. They should be able to add remote start to any Ram truck. I had OEM remote start added to a 2015 Tradesman a few years ago. It came with new factory fobs and everything. It seems odd that five years later they can't do that on a Big Horn.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
I just wanted to add for anyone who is confused or may be doubting. Any 2020 ram 1500 can have remote start added oem. It’s a matter of buying the kit at the dealer or through mopar and having them activate it through mopar after its installed. It comes with a code that the dealer has to call into Chrysler so they can get and enter a one time code in the bcm.

Also, i have a 2020 1500 that only has the customer preferred package added on, so level 1 or 2 is not needed to have remote start from the factory.

GA_Ram_Dawg

Reaction score
Has anyone actually installed the Mopar remote start kit themselves and then had the dealer program it with success? I received the kit today and read through the instructions. First it says is that the truck needs to have the sales code added and the truck bum restored before installing the new RFHM module or it will be rendered useless. I called my dealer to inquire on labor costs for installing the kit and programming and they told me $480 for that. Seems kinda steep to me. I was thinking about installing everything except the RFHM and then taking it up there for programming and the RFHM install.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually installed the Mopar remote start kit themselves and then had the dealer program it with success? I received the kit today and read through the instructions. First it says is that the truck needs to have the sales code added and the truck bum restored before installing the new RFHM module or it will be rendered useless. I called my dealer to inquire on labor costs for installing the kit and programming and they told me $480 for that. Seems kinda steep to me. I was thinking about installing everything except the RFHM and then taking it up there for programming and the RFHM install.
Just curious, how much was the kit? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had the dealership install remote start on a 1015 Tradesman a few years ago. Total cost for parts (including new key fobs) and labor was $500. My daughter was quoted $800 on her 2019 Rebel and she opted not to do that. So if the cost of your kit was in the $300 neighborhood, it's at least consistent with what my dealership wanted to charge my daughter for the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread