5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No More Tundra, Hello Ram

Mike7311

Reaction score
We were in a 2015 GMC Sierra until the brakes failed at 60k miles with my family in the truck. You would think that GM would be willing to fix such an obvious fault with their Chinese vacuum pump and oil fouled master cylinder, nope... So we traded for a 2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platinum lease to hold us over until the Tundra redesign since it lagged in features compared to the completion, but has damn good resale value.

About six months into that we received a letter from GM saying they were sorry and recalled the truck for the brake issue, too late. We are done buying GM products.

As time went on it became obvious that Toyota was pushing the redesign further and further back. When I read that they likely going with a turbo V6 it was time to look elsewhere. I’m just not a fan of gas turbos for longevity.

I started looking at the Ram after seeing great reviews of the redesign. I waited a year to make sure they worked some of the kinks out. We went to the lot after seeing the exact package we were looking for. We test drive it and were very happy with the interior, no leather for me, it’s a truck after all, lol. My brother got a Ram with leather in 2016 and it has not held up to working abuse. We primarily wanted the big screen and a good tow set up to pull our 5k trailer. The dealership made us a great deal and even gave us 1k over residue on the Tundra. Gotta love that Toyota resale. The Tundra was a very good truck, our second one in fact, but Toyota leans too much on their name and not keeping their models competitive. The gas mileage was really bad compared to other trucks with more power. Going to miss the rear window rolling down. We did notice a lot of Tundras in their used lot and they told us it’s the best used truck they get. They take used Fords, Nissans and Chevys to the auction.

2020 Ram Crew Cab
MSRP 57k Big Horn before TTL 43.7k

That being said, I’m happy with our overall. I was under the truck yesterday installing step bars and will say the Tundra still has better build quality, but it’s the interior and option packages that put the Ram ahead.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the club and congrats on the truck! I had a Mazda and a Chevy pickup before I switched to Dodge and now Ram and I continue to love my truck but still keep an eye out for other brands if they were to step up their game.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new RAM!

Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment.
This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.

Georgf

Reaction score
I also switched from Tundra to Ram, these are just different generations of cars, it seems to me that tundra is more reliable because it is much simpler, let's see what happens when they release all new truck

Mike7311

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new RAM!

Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment.
This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.
got it, updated

Mike7311

Reaction score
Welcome to the club and congrats on the truck! I had a Mazda and a Chevy pickup before I switched to Dodge and now Ram and I continue to love my truck but still keep an eye out for other brands if they were to step up their game.

Im hoping to keep this is one for awhile. Fingers crossed I do t run into any issues. Generally I fix everything myself except when it’s obvious there a problem with the engineering, like GM.

Cecil H

Reaction score
We were in a 2015 GMC Sierra until the brakes failed at 60k miles with my family in the truck. You would think that GM would be willing to fix such an obvious fault with their Chinese vacuum pump and oil fouled master cylinder, nope... So we traded for a 2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platinum lease to hold us over until the Tundra redesign since it lagged in features compared to the completion, but has damn good resale value.

About six months into that we received a letter from GM saying they were sorry and recalled the truck for the brake issue, too late. We are done buying GM products.

As time went on it became obvious that Toyota was pushing the redesign further and further back. When I read that they likely going with a turbo V6 it was time to look elsewhere. I’m just not a fan of gas turbos for longevity.

I started looking at the Ram after seeing great reviews of the redesign. I waited a year to make sure they worked some of the kinks out. We went to the lot after seeing the exact package we were looking for. We test drive it and were very happy with the interior, no leather for me, it’s a truck after all, lol. My brother got a Ram with leather in 2016 and it has not held up to working abuse. We primarily wanted the big screen and a good tow set up to pull our 5k trailer. The dealership made us a great deal and even gave us 1k over residue on the Tundra. Gotta love that Toyota resale. The Tundra was a very good truck, our second one in fact, but Toyota leans too much on their name and not keeping their models competitive. The gas mileage was really bad compared to other trucks with more power. Going to miss the rear window rolling down. We did notice a lot of Tundras in their used lot and they told us it’s the best used truck they get. They take used Fords, Nissans and Chevys to the auction.

2020 Ram Crew Cab
MSRP 57k Big Horn before TTL 43.7k

That being said, I’m happy with our overall. I was under the truck yesterday installing step bars and will say the Tundra still has better build quality, but it’s the interior and option packages that put the Ram ahead.
Also went from Tundra to Ram. I had a regular 2016 crewmax and then bought a 2018 pro all blacked out and loved it. This ram feels night and day compared. Comfort level is amazing, looks awesome inside and out, better gas mileage, more hp, airbags,. It made the tundra feel really dated, still a 6 speed, come on toyota. I am so in love with this truck I forgot about the back window day 2. Congrats on the purchase you will love these new rams.

BDRam

Reaction score
Tundra to Ram here also. I love the new RAM - modern safety and entertainment features, great looks, comfort/luxury features, reasonable discount buying later in the model year, etc. Tundra's styling is dated and very plain compared to Ram. Couple that with dealers in FL didn't have any on the lot. Easy choice to switch to Ram. My 2006 Tundra was by far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned at 156K miles and counting. Still have it for now and will be used for the dirtier hauling. Never stranded me and always had proper owner maintenance with dealer only a couple times. Looking forward to lightly modding the Ram. The Ram is much more comfortable to drive. I think the next trip with my wife will have to be in the Ram instead of our BMW SAV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread