5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Electrical / Loose BUS Bar Nut

1500Bear

Reaction score
I've got a 2019 RAM 1500 DT Big Horn and twice since I've owned the truck (45k miles) the nut on the N01 fuse / BUS bar under the external power distribution plastic case (pics attached) came loose, and I had no/zero/absolutely nothing in terms of electrical. The first time it gave me a devil of a time figuring out what was wrong. The 2nd time I was onto the problem right away. Since this seems to be a recurring problem for me I've got two questions for the forum:

(1) Is anybody else having this issue?
(2) Is there any reason I cannot replace the factory nut with a lock-nut so it won't back off with vibration from rough roads etc? I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure if I need to be concerned about the rubber liner in the lock nut. The bus itself seems to make contact between two plates so the material of the nut should not matter. I guess another idea would be to apply a little Locktite to the threads.

Attachments

• RAM-1500-2019-2021_en1_loc-fuse-box-location.jpg
    RAM-1500-2019-2021_en1_loc-fuse-box-location.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 41
  • no1.png
    no1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Use a nylon locking nut. The nylon is only th the top portion of the nut, so there's still good metal contact.
An alternative is to double-nut it. Put on a thin jam nut to keep the bottom nut from vibrating loose. The threaded stud is long enough .
Loctite might creep between threads and not allow good metal contact or create a high-resistance connection.

Steve

1500Bear

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, stevj. I wound up just using a double nut since the post was long enough and I knew I wouldn't need to worry about the nylon melting or something weird.

Users who are viewing this thread