5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Missing iPod. Anyone with huge music libraries?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Yeah.

Dude, just transfer your music ajd pop that puppy in there.

Itll read it.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Soooo, I've got a bit over 600GB of music on a 1TB SSD. I've tried a number of things and I can't get the system to recognize all of the files, so I definitely think there is a limit to the number of files the Uconnect system will recognize.

Been a couple of weeks since I messed with it but my memory is that it would recognize 10-20% at most.

Also, anyone have one of their drives plugged in and randomly end up wiped? Happened at least once to me, still need to check and see if the recent round of not being recognized is due to is happening a second time.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
No 8 folder 255 limit for me either. All music files in one huge folder. I only have about 2,000 in there... so don't know about the 2,040 limit.

I think they have a sorely outdated service lookup sheet. The 8/255 was a limit on systems from 20 years ago.
Did u get your truck yet?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I have an 8.4 system. Not the 12. And it sees all 2000 of mine no problems. Even looks up the album covers to display a lot of them, and I know I didnt have the album art on most of them. At least I am pretty darn sure I didnt.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah....then what are u referring to when you say no limit for you with music...the Durango?

Yes sir. I should make that clearer.

Mine is a 2018 with version 4C... which I believe is the same version in the Ram, and so I'm assuming similar function.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Aaah. I thought i had missed some pictures somewhere thats all.

Pribilof

Reaction score
which USB port are you all using for the USB stick? The one under the armrest or one of the numbered ones?

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I'm still struggling with getting my music on a usb drive. I finally got fed up and emailed Uconnect Customer care. Maybe this will help someone else. Here was their reply:

"I am more than happy to provide you with information as much as I can. In regards to your iPod classic, we unfortunately do not have a list of iPod devices supported. iPods are considered plug and play devices depending on the generation of iPod as newer generations have Bluetooth capability. Disconnecting and reconnecting device is the only trouble shooting for iPods.

In regards to having music within a USB drive, all music must be in .mp3 or .WMA format. Music from iTunes is not always compatible even if the music file has been converted into .mp3 format. Music must be in 8 folders with no more than 255 songs in each folder.

For Apple Car Play, we do not have many trouble shooting options. However, within the settings of the phone you can remove the vehicle to restart the connection. Settings -> General -> Carplay -> Uconnect. Click Uconnect and then click forget vehicle. "

So for the people that are using the usb drives, only 8 folders and 255 songs per folder? Is this what everyone is doing? 2040 song limit?

As for the Apple Car Play, mine will come up button the buttons on the 12" display freeze up and won't do anything. It usually will work through the phone. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it on the screen if you can't control it though.
I have an Ipod classic as well, my 12 inch would not recognize it via the imput jack in the media hub. I was contacted by a Uconnect representitive after I made mention of problems I was having with Apple Carplay. I made an appointment with the dealer at the time of the appointment I gave them my Star case # and they worked togeather to find that the Media Hub had experianced a "failure". The ordered the new Hub , I had to bring it back a week later. Hub installed , IPod shows up via the imput and Carplay issues solved. I can't control the Ipod through the 12" screen but I can access all my Ipods content. Hope this helps.

eFantom

Reaction score
Well I tried something else. I went and bought the latest 7th Gen iPod Touch with 128 Gigs. I put 30 gigs of music on it (7962 songs) and created 3 different playlists. 1 list had 823 songs, 2nd list had 232 songs, and 3rd list with only 81 songs. The uConnect did recognize the iPod touch but it still doesn't work right. When you go into browse I see all 3 playlists I created but when I look into them the 1st one that had 823 songs only shows 500. The 2nd and 3rd list don't show any songs in them at all. If I try to do just all songs again it only shows 500 songs. You also have to unlock the iPod every time you start the truck back up.

Still haven't been able to get my Samsung Fit 128 G to be recognized. Tried copying iTunes library like was suggested earlier in this thread but still no luck. I'm going to try and just do 2000 songs and see if that will work.

Also I just realized yesterday that all my FM presets were lost. Put them back in but not sure when it happened since I've been messing with iPods and USB drives so much. Tried blue tooth music and it has to be turned up to near max to hear and sounds terrible in my opinion. With the volume level being that high when you push a button on the screen (like next song) it dang near blows your eardrums out. My Apple Car Play lets you do one thing then locks up and the touch screen does nothing.

I did go to UConnect and put my VIN in and it says that I am up to date and no updates available. I guess I'm going to have to take it back to a dealer. Sad part is I bought this vehicle 6 hours away from me and being I didn't buy it from my local dealer I'll probably have to wait longer than if I bought it from them. This suck being I just got it.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Numbered ones. I've tried all 3. Yes I know which ones are power only. Thanks

That's a huge miss on Rams part. Wouldn't one want their music player under the armrest out of the way rather than permanently taking up a spot to charge a phone?

ptrnfan

Reaction score
That's a huge miss on Rams part. Wouldn't one want their music player under the armrest out of the way rather than permanently taking up a spot to charge a phone?

Absolutely! My 2017 RAM had one in the armrest that was connected to the Uconnect. However, this was the 60/40 bench front seat. I now have the bucket seats. I don't know if this makes any difference. Does the 2019 RAM with the 60/40 bench seat have a USB that connects to Uconnect?

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Well I tried something else. I went and bought the latest 7th Gen iPod Touch with 128 Gigs. I put 30 gigs of music on it (7962 songs) and created 3 different playlists. 1 list had 823 songs, 2nd list had 232 songs, and 3rd list with only 81 songs. The uConnect did recognize the iPod touch but it still doesn't work right. When you go into browse I see all 3 playlists I created but when I look into them the 1st one that had 823 songs only shows 500. The 2nd and 3rd list don't show any songs in them at all. If I try to do just all songs again it only shows 500 songs. You also have to unlock the iPod every time you start the truck back up.

Still haven't been able to get my Samsung Fit 128 G to be recognized. Tried copying iTunes library like was suggested earlier in this thread but still no luck. I'm going to try and just do 2000 songs and see if that will work.

Also I just realized yesterday that all my FM presets were lost. Put them back in but not sure when it happened since I've been messing with iPods and USB drives so much. Tried blue tooth music and it has to be turned up to near max to hear and sounds terrible in my opinion. With the volume level being that high when you push a button on the screen (like next song) it dang near blows your eardrums out. My Apple Car Play lets you do one thing then locks up and the touch screen does nothing.

I did go to UConnect and put my VIN in and it says that I am up to date and no updates available. I guess I'm going to have to take it back to a dealer. Sad part is I bought this vehicle 6 hours away from me and being I didn't buy it from my local dealer I'll probably have to wait longer than if I bought it from them. This suck being I just got it.

The latest iPod touch should work. I believe it uses iAP2 which, as I understand it, is compatible with the Uconnect.

Laramie81

Reaction score
I just use Spotify Premium from my phone over Bluetooth. All the music I want and sounds great. Easy peasy.

Turin

Reaction score
To add another data point: I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded with 3770 songs spread across 1274 directories. The truck recognizes the drive but does not recognize all the files or folders.

The songs are a mix of FLAC and MP3; both formats play fine. There's some cover art in JPEG and PNG format as well, though most songs have cover art embedded as tags so I'm not sure where the truck is pulling artwork from.

Users who are viewing this thread