5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Missing iPod. Anyone with huge music libraries?

eFantom

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just got my new 2019 LongHorn on 12/29/18. I've been driving a 2009 Laramie for the last 10 years. My old radio had a hard connection to my iPod in the center console. This has been the only way I have listened to my very large music library. This new radio doesn't recognize the iPod. I've tried using the Apple Car Play but it doesn't remember where I left off and starts the playlist from the beginning. So I'm hearing a lot of the same songs over and over. I know I can't be the only person that has a large music library. I'd like to leave something in the truck so I don't have to physically hook up my iPhone every time I get in and the radio remembers where I left off. Has anyone got a system that is working for them? Also does this radio have a hard drive that can be saved to like the old ones? Thanks for any help that you might give.

Eric

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just got my new 2019 LongHorn on 12/29/18. I've been driving a 2009 Laramie for the last 10 years. My old radio had a hard connection to my iPod in the center console. This has been the only way I have listened to my very large music library. This new radio doesn't recognize the iPod. I've tried using the Apple Car Play but it doesn't remember where I left off and starts the playlist from the beginning. So I'm hearing a lot of the same songs over and over. I know I can't be the only person that has a large music library. I'd like to leave something in the truck so I don't have to physically hook up my iPhone every time I get in and the radio remembers where I left off. Has anyone got a system that is working for them? Also does this radio have a hard drive that can be saved to like the old ones? Thanks for any help that you might give.

Eric
Get a USB drive and load it up. I use a Samsung Fit 128GB USB Flash Drive and it holds my entire collection. Honestly, I don't know why you would want to use an IPod for your music; the UConnect Interface for USB Flash Drives is probably the very best in the automotive industry; the menus are very intuitive and the voice commands work exceptionally. If your UConnect has troubles with "remembering" your drive; then you may not have the latest update. Give the USB Flash Drive a try; you will not be disappointed.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is about the size of your thumbnail... plug it in and forget about it... barely noticeable.

~2,000 high bitrate mp3's and barely half full.

SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-032G-G46
2019-01-02 23_46_47-Amazon.com_ SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-032G-G46_...png

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is about the size of your thumbnail... plug it in and forget about it... barely noticeable.

View attachment 12479
Guess I need to do this. Then I will have to take all of the music off of my iPod classic and get it onto this thumb drive.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's USB 3.1... so not too painful to copy over 15 or 20 GB. But I hear ya.

You obviously lose the iPod features but I'm ok using the Uconnect controls and library.

I can't say I've tried using playlists... maybe you could let us know about that.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give Bluetooth an honest try. In years past, I would NEVER recommend listening to good audio over Bluetooth but the hardware has improved. When comparing my iPhone via Bluetooth vs USB thumb drive, the iPhone over Bluetooth wins in sound quality. This is most likely due to the iPhone having a better DAC than the Uconnect system.

Obviously, the iPhone wired via CarPlay to the truck is the best sound but you might surprise yourself at how little times you “wire” in with every day driving.

FWIW, I recently stopped using a USB drive in my truck because of the Bluetooth quality improvements even though using a USB drive has been a staple for many years for me. Maintaining your library and playlists is also much easier via iPhone vs USB as you are maintaining just one device / library.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that you mention that... I left the music player playing on my phone once and forgot about it.

When I climbed into my car, the Bluetooth auto-linked my phone and began playing in the car, and you're right, I recall that it sounded fantastic actually.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess I need to do this. Then I will have to take all of the music off of my iPod classic and get it onto this thumb drive.
I do not recommend the Sandisk Ultra Fit Mini USB drives. I bought them initially. However, they get extremely hot; almost to the point that I didn't really feel they were safe to use continously. The Samsung Fit does not get hot like the Sandisk.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,

Eric
I too have a huge music collection and love using my Ipod Classic in a vehicle. I was disappointed that our truck doesn't recognize it. On 2019s its ridiculous. All of my other vehicles do so its frustrating. I inquired with Uconnect when I first got the truck and they said it just doesn't work with the new system. Crazy but it is what it is.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not recommend the Sandisk Ultra Fit Mini USB drives. I bought them initially. However, they get extremely hot; almost to the point that I didn't really feel they were safe to use continously. The Samsung Fit does not get hot like the Sandisk.

I saw Amazon reviews that said the same thing. Mine gets hot, but not "extremely".

I bought it anyway to get that Sandisk PERFORMANCE :)

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
My bluetooth streams nicely.

The USB works perfectly, and fast.

I tried the CD Player for the first time, today, with a Pink Floyd CD I found which was still in a Sony Walkman I had from 1994 packed at the bottom of a crate I had packed away probably in 1997, and it sounded great....

The SiriusXM is actually very dull sounding, good thing I dont care about it or use it.

The FM is pretty good, including the HD radio stations.... very clear. As clear as when I stream iHeartRadio... so its a good backup to have.

Haven't tried AM, never been into AM stations. Maybe that's because I was born after they dropped a bomb on Nagasaki.

Bluetooth phone, on the other hand... people on the other end hear me better when I just use the phone's speaker and lay the phone in a cupholder while talking.

And due to the roomy interior, my Fiancee is further away, thus minimizing how much I have to hear her yapping. Itd be nice if RAM could figure out how to Auto Cancel the Noise that mouths make from right around the front passenger seat.

Last edited:

eFantom

Reaction score
And due to the roomy interior, my Fiancee is further away, thus minimizing how much I have to hear her yapping. Itd be nice if RAM could figure out how to Auto Cancel the Noise that mouths make from right around the front passenger seat.

ROTFLMAO

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Samsung Fit on order. I can't believe it but there is not in a store within a 250 mile radius that has this in stock. Does anyone know how to do a playlist on a USB? Good youTube video or site that explains it well? I guess that's why I liked my ipod classic so much. Made it very easy with playlists.

DeanKing

Reaction score
ROTFLMAO

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Samsung Fit on order. I can't believe it but there is not in a store within a 250 mile radius that has this in stock. Does anyone know how to do a playlist on a USB? Good youTube video or site that explains it well? I guess that's why I liked my ipod classic so much. Made it very easy with playlists.
Im wondering if you are going to have to convert all the music from your iPOD from ACC to MP3 to get this to work.

eFantom

Reaction score
Im wondering if you are going to have to convert all the music from your iPOD from ACC to MP3 to get this to work.
Everything I have in music is already in MP3 format. I ripped the DRM off everything and put it MP3 so it can play on anything.

eFantom

Reaction score
I'm still struggling with getting my music on a usb drive. I finally got fed up and emailed Uconnect Customer care. Maybe this will help someone else. Here was their reply:

"I am more than happy to provide you with information as much as I can. In regards to your iPod classic, we unfortunately do not have a list of iPod devices supported. iPods are considered plug and play devices depending on the generation of iPod as newer generations have Bluetooth capability. Disconnecting and reconnecting device is the only trouble shooting for iPods.

In regards to having music within a USB drive, all music must be in .mp3 or .WMA format. Music from iTunes is not always compatible even if the music file has been converted into .mp3 format. Music must be in 8 folders with no more than 255 songs in each folder.

For Apple Car Play, we do not have many trouble shooting options. However, within the settings of the phone you can remove the vehicle to restart the connection. Settings -> General -> Carplay -> Uconnect. Click Uconnect and then click forget vehicle. "

So for the people that are using the usb drives, only 8 folders and 255 songs per folder? Is this what everyone is doing? 2040 song limit?

As for the Apple Car Play, mine will come up button the buttons on the 12" display freeze up and won't do anything. It usually will work through the phone. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it on the screen if you can't control it though.

ptrnfan

Reaction score

View attachment 12479

This is the one I got too. I got it from Best Buy with a price match for $22 +tax. It is working better than I expected. I use it USB 1 location and I can hardly see it. The image below shows the size.
20190111_154133 (002).jpg

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I found this Apple compatibility list from GM. I assume it would be the same for FCA since it is an Apple change from iAP1 to iAP2. I believe iAP stands for iPod Accessory Protocol the number is the version.

Attachments

• Compatible_Apple_Devices.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 17

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Hey, i copied all my apple music foles straight into USB.

I wemt i to folders, found the itunes library.

Copied all of them with control A.

Pasted into a fresh clean USB. I didnt format anything. And I didnt make folders of 255 or less each.

I just put them all on there. It was like 6000 songs.

Then i cut 4000 songs. So 2000, all not in a folder.

My system reads it and plays it....all of them. They are a mix of apple files, mp3s, bought legit music and not legit bought.

Dont know what that email meant about 8 folders etc.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No 8 folder 255 limit for me either. All music files in one huge folder. I only have about 2,000 in there... so don't know about the 2,040 limit.

I think they have a sorely outdated service lookup sheet. The 8/255 was a limit on systems from 20 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread