5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Missing iPod. Anyone with huge music libraries?

grifodan67

Reaction score
To add another data point: I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded with 3770 songs spread across 1274 directories. The truck recognizes the drive but does not recognize all the files or folders.

The songs are a mix of FLAC and MP3; both formats play fine. There's some cover art in JPEG and PNG format as well, though most songs have cover art embedded as tags so I'm not sure where the truck is pulling artwork from.
I actually put all of my song files in the same root directory on my USB drive and the Uconnect recognizes all 2028 songs. I can still shuffle and select by artist, etc.

19reb

I use a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD in an external case for a laptop hard drive. It took Uconnect a couple minutes to read it and sort through everything. But the thing recognized it and can read from it.

The problem with those little San-disk FIT USB thumb drives is they get really hot really fast and it affects the read and write speeds of the drive. Not to mention, once they get full they slow down significantly.

With an SSD in an external case there is no heat and there is now slow down of data bandwidth or size limitations. There's also plenty of room in the lower console to hide the external case with only the end of the USB cable showing, plugged in on the dash. All still plenty low enough for no one to really even see any of it anyway.

My library is currently over 60GB. I can shuffle for centuries :)

DVYRAY

Reaction score
Get a USB drive and load it up. I use a Samsung Fit 128GB USB Flash Drive and it holds my entire collection. Honestly, I don't know why you would want to use an IPod for your music; the UConnect Interface for USB Flash Drives is probably the very best in the automotive industry; the menus are very intuitive and the voice commands work exceptionally. If your UConnect has troubles with "remembering" your drive; then you may not have the latest update. Give the USB Flash Drive a try; you will not be disappointed.
If using the flash drive, can you use the screen to select artist and songs? Like the person that started this post... I had a 2017 Ram that I connected my 160GB iPod to and it was like a radio station-could scroll through my music on the Ran screen. My new 2019 shows like many have learned. The new Unconnect system does not recognize older iPod classics. In short, I want to be able to scroll through and control my music through the Uconnect system. THX in advance!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If using the flash drive, can you use the screen to select artist and songs? Like the person that started this post... I had a 2017 Ram that I connected my 160GB iPod to and it was like a radio station-could scroll through my music on the Ran screen. My new 2019 shows like many have learned. The new Unconnect system does not recognize older iPod classics. In short, I want to be able to scroll through and control my music through the Uconnect system. THX in advance!
Yes, you can scroll through for Genre, Artist, Album, Song etc... My favorite part is that I can use voice commands to play a certain Artist, Album, or Song; you don't even need to scroll, but you can if you want to.

ant0064

Reaction score
Is this the Samsung Fit people are talking about? I have the same issue...about 8,000 songs that I used to play from my iPod. How does the UConnect read these flash drives? Is everything organized by artist or however you have everything labeled?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this the Samsung Fit people are talking about? I have the same issue...about 8,000 songs that I used to play from my iPod. How does the UConnect read these flash drives? Is everything organized by artist or however you have everything labeled?

Yes, that is the Samsung Fit. I use all MP3 format for my files; but I'm sure other music formats will work as well. My music is organized in folders by Artist, Album, Song. However, I believe that UConnect goes by the music labels for organization and access.

ant0064

Reaction score
Yes, that is the Samsung Fit. I use all MP3 format for my files; but I'm sure other music formats will work as well. My music is organized in folders by Artist, Album, Song. However, I believe that UConnect goes by the music labels for organization and access.

Thank you!

ant0064

Reaction score

So I bought one of these and copied all of my music over from iTunes. All of the files are mp3 and they're organized in folders by artist. I put it in and the truck recognizes it but only so I can select the USB media source. No songs can be browsed through or played. Am I missing something simple?

heydre

Reaction score
Why not just buy a hundreds of CDs and buy a huge CD case and keep that in your truck, and then just eject and insert as needed?
It will also package them nicely for a smash & grab "donation"....aaah the 90s.

Last edited:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I bought one of these and copied all of my music over from iTunes. All of the files are mp3 and they're organized in folders by artist. I put it in and the truck recognizes it but only so I can select the USB media source. No songs can be browsed through or played. Am I missing something simple?
If you have a lot of files on your drive; it may take a while before you can browse. When I first put a new drive with 8,000 songs on it it took at least 30 minutes before I could browse. It could take even longer. Normally, the drive will start playing the first song it recognizes until you can browse. The system takes a while to read and organize your files. If time doesn't solve your problem here is what I recommend: reformat your drive to FAT32, utilize windows media player to sync the files from your computer to the drive (rather than just dragging and dropping the files yourself).

ant0064

Reaction score
I found a solution to the flash drive issue...check it out.

ant0064

Reaction score
If you have a lot of files on your drive; it may take a while before you can browse. When I first put a new drive with 8,000 songs on it it took at least 30 minutes before I could browse. It could take even longer. Normally, the drive will start playing the first song it recognizes until you can browse. The system takes a while to read and organize your files. If time doesn't solve your problem here is what I recommend: reformat your drive to FAT32, utilize windows media player to sync the files from your computer to the drive (rather than just dragging and dropping the files yourself).

Well, I figured out how to reformat to FAT32, and I put about 1200 songs on at first and it worked. Then I put the rest of my music on which is about 8500 songs and it won't read the new ones. Deleted everything off the drive and put it back on, now it only reads one song lol. It doesn't take long before it allows me to browse, albeit browse through one song. Maybe I have too many folders, I don't know. All of my music is organized in folders, each artist has a folder, each album has a folder. Nothing changed after my 40 minute drive to work this morning. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread