5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Lifter - Bilstein question for 2" lift all around???

RamLay

Reaction score
OK, as many of you have experienced I'm sure, the sheer magnitude of searching on this site just confused me more...

In the simplest terms, will installing Billstein 5100s, using the 5th ring, give my 2019 4WD Crew Cab Laramie 2" of lift and do I need new UCAs?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the forum!

RamLay

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have off road package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1.7” non-ORG …. 2” w/ORG

RamLay

Reaction score
Doh, meant to advise it is not ORG.

So just by adding the Bilsteins, I get 1.7" of lift in the front and 2" in the back - and have as good or better than stock road ride?

Last edited:

397STROKER

Reaction score
1st, do you have the off road package? If so, you will get 2" lift up front over the already 1" lift of the ORP when using setting 5. This will equal 3" of lift over a stock non-ORP truck and even though Bilstein says you don't need UCA with there setup, I would probably get them for 3" over a stock truck. If you are stock non-ORP you will get 1.7" (on setting 5) over your current height up front and I would say you won't need UCAs.

sd2134

Reaction score
I installed Bilstein 5100's on my non-ORG Bighorn to level it. The front adjustable shocks are set to position 5, approximately 1.7" of lift. Since I do NOT have ORG and added less than 2" of lift, I kept the stock control arms. The rear shocks do not ad any lift, but will accommodate up to 2" of lift. To get the rear lift you will need other springs or a spring spacer. For example you could order ORG rear springs and get a 1" lift with the Bilstein's.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed Bilstein 5100's on my non-ORG Bighorn to level it. The front adjustable shocks are set to position 5, approximately 1.7" of lift. Since I do NOT have ORG and added less than 2" of lift, I kept the stock control arms. The rear shocks do not ad any lift, but will accommodate up to 2" of lift. To get the rear lift you will need other springs or a spring spacer. For example you could order ORG rear springs and get a 1" lift with the Bilstein's.

I have ORG rear springs and my 5100’s at clip 5 up front. I’m having the dilemma when I’m loaded up the rear is squated a bit. I don’t know if I should go to a one inch spacer in the rear or change out the springs?

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have ORG rear springs and my 5100’s at clip 5 up front. I’m having the dilemma when I’m loaded up the rear is squated a bit. I don’t know if I should go to a one inch spacer in the rear or change out the springs?

A few options here. If you load up frequently you may want to look at heavier springs. You can just add a spacer and get additional lift in the rear, so when you load up it doesn't look like it is squating. Of course this will show as rake when not loaded. Another option would be something like icon springs which provide 1.5" of lift over a stock spring so .5" for you. These are duel rate springs that they claim ride like stock and when loaded add additional load capacity.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Are ORP spring rate the same as NON ORP SPRINGS? I have non ORP & find the rear springs are very soft, it provides an excellent ride but very soft for towing my 4,000 lb trailer

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few options here. If you load up frequently you may want to look at heavier springs. You can just add a spacer and get additional lift in the rear, so when you load up it doesn't look like it is squating. Of course this will show as rake when not loaded. Another option would be something like icon springs which provide 1.5" of lift over a stock spring so .5" for you. These are duel rate springs that they claim ride like stock and when loaded add additional load capacity.

Was thinking about the icon springs or the Bilstein ones.. 1.5”.. you’re correct it will only be .5” for me but I think that’s all I would need to prevent the squat.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have the Bilstein's and got 1.5" in the rear. I did the Bilstein 5100s up front on setting 4 and added the OR springs for 2.5 + a 1/2 " spacer on top for my 3" net. I have about an 1" rake. I like it. I am not sure if the rear Bilstein springs add any load capacity like the ICONs but they are dual rate.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Are ORP spring rate the same as NON ORP SPRINGS? I have non ORP & find the rear springs are very soft, it provides an excellent ride but very soft for towing my 4,000 lb trailer
I am not 100% sure on the rate. I have read that they are the same just longer, front and rear. I would hope the ORP springs would be a little stiffer.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Bilstein's and got 1.5" in the rear. I did the Bilstein 5100s up front on setting 4 and added the OR springs for 2.5 + a 1/2 " spacer on top for my 3" net. I have about an 1" rake. I like it. I am not sure if the rear Bilstein springs add any load capacity like the ICONs but they are dual rate.

Why not just go to ring 5 and ORP springs up front?.. no need for spacer then.

397STROKER

Reaction score
Why not just go to ring 5 and ORP springs up front?.. no need for spacer then.

Yeah, I don't like maxing things out. I have also read that the ride gets pretty harsh on 5 and backing down to 4 is a lot better, so I went with 4. I may still drop to 2.5" by going to setting 3. It rides pretty good but I have not put the new tires and wheels on it yet. Will see after I do that how it is.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
North Edition with ORP. Bilstein’s recently installed at all corners, front set to ring 4. Went from an almost 2 inch rake to just around a half inch diff from front to back. Did so to avoid any issues with squatting or clunking in the front that some with the ORP have mentioned. Don’t tow much, just a loaded bed here and there, so I’m good.
Truck actually rides better than stock now. Good shocks, hopefully they’re in stock…I waited almost 6 months for the rears to come in. Good luck!

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
North Edition with ORP. Bilstein’s recently installed at all corners, front set to ring 4. Went from an almost 2 inch rake to just around a half inch diff from front to back. Did so to avoid any issues with squatting or clunking in the front that some with the ORP have mentioned. Don’t tow much, just a loaded bed here and there, so I’m good.
Truck actually rides better than stock now. Good shocks, hopefully they’re in stock…I waited almost 6 months for the rears to come in. Good luck!

Fronts and rears on order at Summit …. Back ordered till 1st week of March

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fronts and rears on order at Summit …. Back ordered till 1st week of March

My local 4WP had the fronts when I ordered the set in May 2021. The rear shocks finally came in around mid-October, installed November. Popular shocks, evidently. They’re always on back order. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Kordyte

Reaction score
I installed Bilstein 5100s front and back this October. Ring #5 up front on non-ORG. Also added Motofab 1" spacer and Airlift 1000HD bags in rear. About 1500 miles on the setup and looks and drives great.

To the OP: I'd advise buying the UCAs from the Mopar lift kit. They are cheap and good insurance. I absolutely destroyed my original UCAs when separating them from the steering knuckle. Super tight.

Users who are viewing this thread