5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New...What do you think of my build?

Neat

Reaction score
This will be my first truck. What do you think? Still torn between the 3.21 and 3.92.
Build

Rich6896

Reaction score
I like it....you have so many choices of colors. Strange. My " build " has 4 choices of colors and 2 of them are white.

jkm312

Reaction score
Looks like you are setting it up for some off road use. I would go with the 3.92. If you have any idea of going up in wheel and tire size you will be glad you did.
I don't get off road, but I did go with the 3.92 for me. For me I wanted the grunt of the truck on the low end where I use the truck at times. I would make the same choice again for myself. I like the way it drives and feels with the 3.92's. Are you going to tow anything above 5000 lbs? You will take a hit on gas mileage, over the long haul it will add up to additional operating costs. That is what you have to decide for yourself, can you live with that?

Neat

Reaction score
Looks like you are setting it up for some off road use. I would go with the 3.92. If you have any idea of going up in wheel and tire size you will be glad you did.
I don't get off road, but I did go with the 3.92 for me. For me I wanted the grunt of the truck on the low end where I use the truck at times. I would make the same choice again for myself. I like the way it drives and feels with the 3.92's. Are you going to tow anything above 5000 lbs? You will take a hit on gas mileage, over the long haul it will add up to additional operating costs. That is what you have to decide for yourself, can you live with that?
I don't plan to do any serious off roading. Maybe here and there out at deer camp or to do some camping. More of a nice to have and part of the Backcountry package already. I also don't have anything to tow at the moment. Only thing I could possibly see myself getting would be a smaller lightweight camper. Thanks!

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bed utility group is worth considering. The rails aren’t as useful as the bed step (seriously, it’s a simply thing, but I use it all the time) and the bed liner.

Oh yeah…welcome aboard!

Neat

Reaction score
Bed utility group is worth considering. The rails aren’t as useful as the bed step (seriously, it’s a simply thing, but I use it all the time) and the bed liner.

Oh yeah…welcome aboard!
Thank you! It's already part of the Backcountry package or I would have added it.

MagicMarker

Reaction score
++3.92 (my biggest buyer’s remorse), ++ on trailer brake (great even when not towing to get cars riding my butt to back off).

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Say what?
You didn’t know? It applies the brakes to whatever vehicle is directly behind you, not just a trailer.

Just kidding. My guess—and now I want to test this out—is it turns on the truck’s brake lights without actually applying the brakes.

MagicMarker

Reaction score
You didn’t know? It applies the brakes to whatever vehicle is directly behind you, not just a trailer.

Just kidding. My guess—and now I want to test this out—is it turns on the truck’s brake lights without actually applying the brakes.
Yep, turns on the brake lights without actually hitting the brakes.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there no way to add the LED light package to a Big Horn anymore? That would be a must for me now after having them.

I second the 3.92 gears and trailer brake controller if you think you may tow in the future

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I went with 3.92 on my build keeping future uses and upgrades in mind. I plan to upsize the tires once the factory ones wear out, and in a couple years I'll probably be towing a good bit. For that same reason I got the brake controller.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Mountain Whiskey this guy is considering 3.21's, stop him immediately.

But seriously, nice build, nothing too fancy, just straightforward truckin!

I do think the $700 for the Alpine speakers is worth getting though, unless you are planning to put a different even better system in on your own.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@Mountain Whiskey this guy is considering 3.21's, stop him immediately.

But seriously, nice build, nothing too fancy, just straightforward truckin!

I do think the $700 for the Alpine speakers is worth getting though, unless you are planning to put a different even better system in on your own.
Haha! Yep. 3:92. Don't think otherwise or you will come to regret it (3:21 gears will make your Willie shrink)

Really gears in these are not like Jeeps and trucks of old that just swap out. Bigger heavy tires when you get the itch to lift will need them. Hauling anything will make you glad you got them. The gas milage claims? Well that is because the guys with 3:21 gears can't get their trucks to go over 60 on a windy day.

Good choice on the 33 gallon tank. Despite what some believe, the truck can handle the additional 60 pounds of payload....

I agree with @AngelPhoenix , i have the Alpine and it is decent. If you don't want to mess with the total upgrade it is worth it. This is not the old yank the radio and slip in a new one from Cruthfield type of setup.

I personally prefer the anti-spin over the electronic lockers. The lockers only operate at low speed. LSD operates all the time at all speeds. I believe it is better for the road. Lockers are better for off road. You must not even be considering off road if you are thinking if 3:21s. 🤨 If nothing else think about your poor Willie! You don't want him shrinking up....😲

Last edited:

nickmv

Reaction score
This will be my first truck. What do you think? Still torn between the 3.21 and 3.92.
Build
When I tried to get MARK to configure with 3.21 it wouldn't let them, forced me to choose between 3.92 and Off-Road Package. This was a Backcountry build but QC 6'4".

myramtrx

Reaction score
When I tried to get MARK to configure with 3.21 it wouldn't let them, forced me to choose between 3.92 and Off-Road Package. This was a Backcountry build but QC 6'4".

Attachments

• John Sens POC.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread