5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to steal your truck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Tazer PIN security is a complete waste of time - and more importantly, a false sense of security. It can be easily defeated, and from everything I have seen, it doesn't even work reliably. I have a Tazer, and I really like it. But I do not use it for security.
99% of anti-theft devices are nothing more than a false sense of security. A determined thief with the right tools can defeat anything. Luckily most thiefs are only looking for the quickest/easiest opportunity. So anything that costs them time will usually keep them from stealing your vehicle and they will just move on to an easier target.

I do t use the PIN security feature, at least not as far as having to enter the pin. I do use killbyfob and have it lock the brakes.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
99% of anti-theft devices are nothing more than a false sense of security. A determined thief with the right tools can defeat anything. Luckily most thiefs are only looking for the quickest/easiest opportunity. So anything that costs them time will usually keep them from stealing your vehicle and they will just move on to an easier target.

I do t use the PIN security feature, at least not as far as having to enter the pin. I do use killbyfob and have it lock the brakes.

Ravelco and IGLA have proven very effective as anti-theft devices. Most of the dirtbags stealing TRX's are very determined and prepared. I've watched video footage of them spending 15-20 minutes to steal one and as little as 2-3 minutes on others. So far, I have not read about a single TRX being stolen that has either Ravelco or IGLA. A flatbed tow truck is the ultimate theft device, but I haven't read about any being stolen like that on the Ram-TRX forum.

GMetal

Reaction score
What happens when you remove the Taser DT with PIN lock active? does that feature get dismissed?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What happens when you remove the Taser DT with PIN lock active? does that feature get dismissed?
I'm not an expert on this (but there is one on the TRX forum), so take this for what it's worth. From what I understand, the PIN features of the Tazer don't work after you remove it. The only feature that still remains is the throttle disable. But with an HP tuner hooked up to the truck (which thieves probably carry with them), you can do a re-learn of the throttle parameters pretty quickly and drive away with the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ravelco and IGLA have proven very effective as anti-theft devices. Most of the dirtbags stealing TRX's are very determined and prepared. I've watched video footage of them spending 15-20 minutes to steal one and as little as 2-3 minutes on others. So far, I have not read about a single TRX being stolen that has either Ravelco or IGLA. A flatbed tow truck is the ultimate theft device, but I haven't read about any being stolen like that on the Ram-TRX forum.
You've mentioned them before, and I have found a video on how to bypass the IGLA. Takes special tool to hack around it, but it's possible. And the right thief with the knowledge can get it done. Ravelco, it's just a matter of figuring out which pins to jumper

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this (but there is one on the TRX forum), so take this for what it's worth. From what I understand, the PIN features of the Tazer don't work after you remove it. The only feature that still remains is the throttle disable. But with an HP tuner hooked up to the truck (which thieves probably carry with them), you can do a re-learn of the throttle parameters pretty quickly and drive away with the truck.
I don't use the PIN feature, but the killbyfob would prevent this without having the tools to clear and create a new key, without having one already programmed(clonig doesn't work). It takes more than just relearning the throttle. It can still be worked around, but, as I said before, so can any other anti-theft device if you have the right knowledge and equipment

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You've mentioned them before, and I have found a video on how to bypass the IGLA. Takes special tool to hack around it, but it's possible. And the right thief with the knowledge can get it done. Ravelco, it's just a matter of figuring out which pins to jumper

Nothing is impossible, but it's not very likely. I've read that it's possible to do that with Ravelco, but I haven't heard of anyone losing a truck to theft, here or on the Ram-TRX forum. Putting a video together is one thing, but actually pulling it off with an unfamiliar install is another.

I'm not an anti-theft device expert, but if there were major flaws with IGLA or Ravelco, it would be all over the Ram-TRX forum. It seems like 80% of the members have one of those devices and so far nobody has reported a theft with them installed. A pretty good track record considering how many TRX's are reported stolen on that site.

Tazer is not an anti-theft device, even the owner of Z Automotive has stated this. At best, it will cost a thief a minute or two to remove it and be on his way.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing is impossible, but it's not very likely. I've read that it's possible to do that with Ravelco, but I haven't heard of anyone losing a truck to theft, here or on the Ram-TRX forum. Putting a video together is one thing, but actually pulling it off with an unfamiliar install is another.

I'm not an anti-theft device expert, but if there were major flaws with IGLA or Ravelco, it would be all over the Ram-TRX forum. It seems like 80% of the members have one of those devices and so far nobody has reported a theft with them installed. A pretty good track record considering how many TRX's are reported stolen on that site.

Tazer is not an anti-theft device, even the owner of Z Automotive has stated this. At best, it will cost a thief a minute or two to remove it and be on his way.
ANY theft deterrent device will stop thieves.

I don't know how good or bad Ravelco is, but the % of people that get their truck stolen is ultra small.
The % of people using those devices is also ultra small.
So the sample size of people that get it stolen that have that installed while being the minority already is of course going to be non-existent.

The Tazer DT is not an anti-theft device at it's core but it still can function as one especially if they can't figure out what the problem is.

"I haven't heard of anyone losing a truck to theft" with a Tazer DT with pin enabled. How's that for size? Obviously a purpose built device will serve it's role better then a multi-purpose device.

GMetal

Reaction score
I wonder how they use HP Tuners. I have to pay for credits to rewrite the ECM on any vehicle they support when Im tuning. However the Ram ECU must be unlocked by them for me to do any rewrite on the ECM.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how they use HP Tuners. I have to pay for credits to rewrite the ECM on any vehicle they support when Im tuning. However the Ram ECU must be unlocked by them for me to do any rewrite on the ECM.
Can do a Diablosport throttle re-learn while putting the truck back to stock, else you can get licenses for $50 or cheaper on-sale. You also keep the license and or reclaim it unless you apply a custom tune, back to stock doesn't cost anything.
I think most thefts are just using the dealerships pod and software less hassle.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"I haven't heard of anyone losing a truck to theft" with a Tazer DT with pin enabled.
Well, now you have.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well, now you have.

That didn't take long. :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, now you have.

That thread didn't prove or disprove if the TazerDT was bypassed. There was no recovery of the vehicle, no security cameras of the theft. All pure speculation as to what happened. The fact that the alarm was triggered multiple times, over a 35 minute period, tells me that whatever they did wasn't quick or simple. And that they didn't clone the fob.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That thread didn't prove or disprove if the TazerDT was bypassed. There was no recovery of the vehicle, no security cameras of the theft. All pure speculation as to what happened. The fact that the alarm was triggered multiple times, over a 35 minute period, tells me that whatever they did wasn't quick or simple. And that they didn't clone the fob.
Yeah, but they stole a truck with the Tazer PIN enabled (as well as killbyfob). Does it really matter what particular method they used? Part of that method was "Tazer defeated".

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but they stole a truck with the Tazer PIN enabled (as well as killbyfob). Does it really matter what particular method they used? Part of that method was "Tazer defeated".
I mean, if they used a tow truck, was it really defeated?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, if they used a tow truck, was it really defeated?
Well, I suppose that's possible. But using a tow truck in a hotel parking lot seems pretty unlikely. And given that the alarm was triggered 3 times in 42 minutes, I suspect that it was not flat-bedded out. Otherwise, it would have been triggered like 20 times in 42 minutes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I suppose that's possible. But using a tow truck in a hotel parking lot seems pretty unlikely. And given that the alarm was triggered 3 times in 42 minutes, I suspect that it was not flat-bedded out. Otherwise, it would have been triggered like 20 times in 42 minutes.
Not sure how a flat bed is going to trigger the alarm. But a tow truck in a hotel parking lot probably wouldn't even lift a concerned eye from any other guests, or employees.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm with HSKR on this one.
There's no proof it was defeated, it could of been the same end with a Ravelco.
Most tow truck drivers don't even check proof of ownership of a car, could of been a legit tow

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how a flat bed is going to trigger the alarm. But a tow truck in a hotel parking lot probably wouldn't even lift a concerned eye from any other guests, or employees.
He had a shock sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online