5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New vs Used Ram 1500 2019/2020

calvinjns

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a new truck. I am debating on if I should purchase a brand new 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500 or if I should take the risk and purchase a pre-owned 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500. I have went around and asked some local truck owners this question and I stay in Arkansas so majority of them advise me to purchase new truck because most truck owners here used and abused their truck and then trade them in for a new one so you really don't know what condition truck you are purchasing. What is your opinion on this question should I take the safe route and purchase new seeing that because of our current economic situation I may get a good deal or should I take a risk and trying to save a little bit of money and purchase used?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a new truck. I am debating on if I should purchase a brand new 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500 or if I should take the risk and purchase a pre-owned 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500. I have went around and asked some local truck owners this question and I stay in Arkansas so majority of them advise me to purchase new truck because most truck owners here used and abused their truck and then trade them in for a new one so you really don't know what condition truck you are purchasing. What is your opinion on this question should I take the safe route and purchase new seeing that because of our current economic situation I may get a good deal or should I take a risk and trying to save a little bit of money and purchase used?
Hi Calvin,

Have you ever played roulette? Buying used is sort of like that, and even new can be no assurance of a trouble-free ride.

A lot has to do with the previous ownership. A high mileage 2019 could be a rental or a lease and probably an auction truck. If it was a low mileage it could be repossession, or the individual previous owner traded it for some reason. One would like to know why that person traded in a vehicle that new.

Most selling dealers will disclose some indication of previous ownership. If you have established a good rapport with a Ram dealer, they might be willing to look up the VIN and give you some information regarding ownership. They will not tell you the person's name, but can tell if it was a lease or rental and what area of the country it came from.

Ultimately a lot will be dependent on the condition of the vehicle and the price, and that will be something only you can determine. Frankly, if you're looking at a used 2019 you might find it beneficial to consider a new vehicle, since I'm finding around here that used 2-4 year old Ram 1500s are bringing high prices. Don't forget, you get a full warranty with a new vehicle.

Good luck in your search.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031709 miles.

Ride2little

Reaction score
Well, I bought a used Rebel just last week. I tried to buy new. But all the dealers just wanted to sell me what they had in stock and short of quick local searches (which I already had done all that research), they were of no help/service. My search was pretty particular, I knew what I wanted, color, options, etc. So I hired an auto-broker. He scans the auctions. Within a day, he found my truck. It was far away. I'm in Nashville, truck was in PA. Used 2019 w 1400 miles. Couldn't have been more of a 5 out of 5 stars. I felt it was a good deal...$15K under sticker, fresh...still smells new. Anyway, I'm hoping it wasn't a lemon or something but the papers were clean. And I'm pleased as can be about it so-far. Feels like new and it's exactly what I wanted. Spending that much, I did not want to compromise on much if anything. My advice? Get exactly what you want. A grand here or there won't make a difference on a truck that stickers @ $63K

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 used Limited in Jan of 2020. Saved 16K off sticker, it was a June 2019 build so I have 26 months and/or 16K miles left on the B-to-B warranty..then I have the drive train warranty for 2 more years, and another 24K miles....what's the risk? I let someone else take the biggest hit on resale,(1st year), and by the time the warranty is up I will probably be looking for the next 1 year old Ram...go for it!

lonestar19

Reaction score
If I was you I would go new. I purchased a 2019 with 7000 at the time of purchase and now have 12000 and 1 to 2 months of having it transmission erratic shifting at low speeds (traffic) and sometime at almost highway speeds. Been to dealer once and supposely they did a reprograming. didn't really help. Now debating if I get rid of the truck. Not happy. Should have stay with my 17 ram.

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
With the 0% interest and 90 days no payment offer, i would definitely purchase new. I actually just traded in my 19 rebel for a 2020 limited all because of this offer(also had a lot of issues with the rebel)

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to get a lightly used 2019 about 6 months ago.

I found all the ones I liked with options I had were typically driven by the managers or traded in due to not being able to afford the truck.

In every instance they always wanted too much for the truck and were hoping to find the right buyer. It always came down to being about 3-4K less than a new truck at most which I found was not worth the bother.

Users who are viewing this thread