5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"New" Used 2019 Ram Electrical Problems

JR77

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just bought a 2019 Ram Big Horn, with 39k miles this afternoon. I took it to a shop prior to purchasing to look over the mechanicals of the truck and everything was fine. I test-drove it around for about 45 minutes without any issues or concerns. About two hours after I purchased the truck I received a warning "Blind spot alert unavailable, Service Required". Shortly after enabling the front blind spot control (it was off prior, and I never enabled it during my test drive) the center console screen reset, then goes blank, temperature controls turn off, front windows, and locks also did not work. Here is a sample of whats going on. I inspected the front sensor and it turns out one of them is very loose. Unsure if the problem with the front sensor is the root cause of this, but the electricals still malfunction when the front sensor isn't on.

At times everything works but not for long, this is obviously very alarming to me, I've only owned the truck for about 6 hours now and I can't even put the windows down and the AC on. The dealer is sending people tomorrow to get the truck and take it to get checked out. I am curious, is this common? How worried should I be about this truck? Can it be fixed and should I just be happy they found it under warranty and enjoy my "new" truck? Or is this a bad omen and a dud truck and should I try to get out of this thing?

Appreciate any help and insights.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just bought a 2019 Ram Big Horn, with 39k miles this afternoon. I took it to a shop prior to purchasing to look over the mechanicals of the truck and everything was fine. I test-drove it around for about 45 minutes without any issues or concerns. About two hours after I purchased the truck I received a warning "Blind spot alert unavailable, Service Required". Shortly after enabling the front blind spot control (it was off prior, and I never enabled it during my test drive) the center console screen reset, then goes blank, temperature controls turn off, front windows, and locks also did not work. Here is a sample of whats going on. I inspected the front sensor and it turns out one of them is very loose. Unsure if the problem with the front sensor is the root cause of this, but the electricals still malfunction when the front sensor isn't on.

At times everything works but not for long, this is obviously very alarming to me, I've only owned the truck for about 6 hours now and I can't even put the windows down and the AC on. The dealer is sending people tomorrow to get the truck and take it to get checked out. I am curious, is this common? How worried should I be about this truck? Can it be fixed and should I just be happy they found it under warranty and enjoy my "new" truck? Or is this a bad omen and a dud truck and should I try to get out of this thing?

I have a 21 with only 12000 miles that has had electrical issues, 4 dealer visits before fixed and after I asked for a loaner and told them I didn’t want it back till it was fixed and they had 30 days. It was fixed that afternoon. I was told it was left rear wheel sensor and broken wires behind the mud flap area? Anyway I’ve put 600 miles with no more issues. I had 6 warning lights on including the engine light. Many things were disabled, no cruse, no 4wd, no remote start, none of the sensors worked, no anti lock brakes, etc. Not sure if yours would be the same thing or not, either way it sucks and is very annoying! I hope you gets yours fixed soon and warranty covers it👍🏻 Not sure if you can get out if it, especially if they are willing to work with you on fixing it? I had a 19 ram that I forced ram to buy back with unresolved vibration issues and it would not hold balance over 200 miles. After 8 trips to the dealer and a independent tire shop at 7900 miles I was so over it! Good luck😁

JR77

Reaction score
I have a 21 with only 12000 miles that has had electrical issues, 4 dealer visits before fixed and after I asked for a loaner and told them I didn’t want it back till it was fixed and they had 30 days. It was fixed that afternoon. I was told it was left rear wheel sensor and broken wires behind the mud flap area? Anyway I’ve put 600 miles with no more issues. I had 6 warning lights on including the engine light. Many things were disabled, no cruse, no 4wd, no remote start, none of the sensors worked, no anti lock brakes, etc. Not sure if yours would be the same thing or not, either way it sucks and is very annoying! I hope you gets yours fixed soon and warranty covers it👍🏻 Not sure if you can get out if it, especially if they are willing to work with you on fixing it? I had a 19 ram that I forced ram to buy back with unresolved vibration issues and it would not hold balance over 200 miles. After 8 trips to the dealer and a independent tire shop at 7900 miles I was so over it! Good luck😁
Appreciate the insight, thanks. Yeah, this is covered by them currently. I have about 72 hours to decide if I want to keep it from what I have read. I'll see what they say tomorrow I guess. Overall just ****ty, I cant even be pumped about my new truck.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the insight, thanks. Yeah, this is covered by them currently. I have about 72 hours to decide if I want to keep it from what I have read. I'll see what they say tomorrow I guess. Overall just ****ty, I cant even be pumped about my new truck.
I felt the same about my new 19 that I drove 1000 miles each way to pick it up. It was very nice, I had never spent that much on a truck. I wanted to love it, but every time I drove it the vibrations drove me crazy and I hated it!

Georgf

Reaction score
Hey All,

It could just be a bad battery. I would start by checking it out. Then check if all fuses sitting tight.

Donovo

Reaction score
Hey All,

Man,i bought my 2019 a few months ago. Its a piece of **** honestly. So many small issues that grow into bigger ones. I has infotainment problems all the way to driveshaft problems and engine noises that dint sound good. Im stuck with my turd for now but i suggest getting rid of it asap. These trucks are garbage just like they always have been. Nothing has changed

Donovo

Reaction score
Oh and my truck has 36,000 on it now. Bought it with 26,000 and it came with problems. Seriously. Return it and get a ford or chevy. Maybe look at the new titans as well.

Users who are viewing this thread