5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck today, do I get the factory extended warranty or not?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There's a couple threads on this, try a search. I do remember Ziegler, I think it is, but there are at least 3 options that are non-dealer FCA warranties. DO NOT get a 3rd party one - basically worthless.
What's your self-insurance ability level? (meaning can you use the $1500-2500 worth of plan premium cost and take care of things yourself?)
If you don't have a bunch of hi-tech like the 12" screen, and no e-torque, then maybe just stick with the std warranty.
You can wait till 1 year and then decide, if just before 1 year there's no upcharge.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck. Summary from willworkfortruck is spot on. I agree with those points as well.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Seems like they have been having problems with vin numbers being in the system so you have to call them so they send you the actual app. Do it within 60 days of purchase. Many of us have already received our checks. No strings attached.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here's info from a quick "extended warranty" search:

Best place to purchase Mopar official Mopar warranty- dont buy from local dealer!
"If your paying in full you can get $365 off at ChryslerFactoryPlans with the promo code PAYINFULL
8 year, 125k miles, $100 deductible = $2,350
7 year, unlimited miles, $100 deductible = $2285 "

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

"If your paying in full you can get $365 off at ChryslerFactoryPlans with the promo code PAYINFULL

Another post in the same thread:
The best place I have found to by an authentic Mopar extended warranty is Chrysler Warranty Direct.
www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com

Comparing chryslerwarrantydirect.com & Ziegler:

chryslerwarrantydirect.com:
MaxCare 8 Years 125,000 Miles MSRP $3,650.00 $100.00 Ded Our Price $2,450.00

Ziegler:
Maxcare 8 Years 125,000 Miles WM8125N $100.00 Ded $3,650.00

That's a $1,200.00 savings.

Just go to www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com
-Click Free instant quote.
-put in year, make/Model and Mileage.
-Click get quote.
-Click on plan and deductible you want. Can pay for it on line over internet.
-Click purchase now:
WARRANTY DETAILS
Warranty Selected
Official Mopar® Vehicle Protection Maximum Care 8 Year / 125000 Mile Warranty With a $100 Deductible
GENUINE & FACTORY-BACKEDYour Vehicle 2019 Ram Pickup 1500 (Under 12,000 Miles)
Plan Pricing $2450.00
Total $2450.00 (For your peace of mind, we offer a 100% no questions asked money-back guarantee within the first 60 days of purchase if you are not fully satisfied. We also offer quick and easy 0% financing up to 18 months. Please give us a call at (888) 352-6103 if you're interested in financing this warranty purchase.)
Total Due: $2450.00

Have not seen better pricing on these. it call all be done online on their website, except if you live in Florida. Have to call in to get it done.
(888) 352-6103

ocmd

Reaction score
THANKS ALL. Love the forum. I am active on my jetboat forum which is similar I suppose. So, if money is no object (it really isn't) and I can afford a hit 5 years from now, maybe do not get the warranty? Also, it appears I can delay the purchase a few weeks and not get an upcharge? As far as those rebates, what the heck are they? I can grab some free cash by owning a SIlverado which I still do? How much? THANKS!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
THANKS ALL. Love the forum. I am active on my jetboat forum which is similar I suppose. So, if money is no object (it really isn't) and I can afford a hit 5 years from now, maybe do not get the warranty? Also, it appears I can delay the purchase a few weeks and not get an upcharge? As far as those rebates, what the heck are they? I can grab some free cash by owning a SIlverado which I still do? How much? THANKS!
you can delay till just before 1 year from what I've read/seen.

Check prices NOW!

The dealer I bought from on 4/24 gave me about 7K less in rebates than he can give today... Sigh...

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Just be aware that the extended warranty starts the same day as the factory warranty and not after.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Another post in the same thread:
The best place I have found to by an authentic Mopar extended warranty is Chrysler Warranty Direct.
www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com

Comparing chryslerwarrantydirect.com & Ziegler:

chryslerwarrantydirect.com:
MaxCare 8 Years 125,000 Miles MSRP $3,650.00 $100.00 Ded Our Price $2,450.00

Ziegler:
Maxcare 8 Years 125,000 Miles WM8125N $100.00 Ded $3,650.00

That's a $1,200.00 savings.

Just go to www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com
-Click Free instant quote.
-put in year, make/Model and Mileage.
-Click get quote.
-Click on plan and deductible you want. Can pay for it on line over internet.
-Click purchase now:
WARRANTY DETAILS
Warranty Selected
Official Mopar® Vehicle Protection Maximum Care 8 Year / 125000 Mile Warranty With a $100 Deductible
GENUINE & FACTORY-BACKEDYour Vehicle 2019 Ram Pickup 1500 (Under 12,000 Miles)
Plan Pricing $2450.00
Total $2450.00 (For your peace of mind, we offer a 100% no questions asked money-back guarantee within the first 60 days of purchase if you are not fully satisfied. We also offer quick and easy 0% financing up to 18 months. Please give us a call at (888) 352-6103 if you're interested in financing this warranty purchase.)
Total Due: $2450.00

Have not seen better pricing on these. it call all be done online on their website, except if you live in Florida. Have to call in to get it done.
(888) 352-6103
FYI - the default price at Ziegler for that plan today is $2,550. When you subtract the PAYINFULL discount, you’re at less than $2,200. So that comparison is bogus.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
FYI - the default price at Ziegler for that plan today is $2,550. When you subtract the PAYINFULL discount, you’re at less than $2,200. So that comparison is bogus.
I just quoted some older posts for the OP, he can do plan specific research on his own. When and if it comes down to me looking for one in 10-11 months, I will be checking.

Heck, for the prices that RAM has now, I wouldn't even bother with an ext warranty. I could have saved 5-7K plus by waiting 5 weeks to purchase. Oh well.

Zinger

Reaction score

If you can afford the hit then no need for a warranty. Warranties should just be renamed to "repair insurance" since that's exactly what they are. Fundamentally you insure to avoid unacceptable risk, but if in your case the risk is low or nonexistent why bother?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
With all the electronics on this truck (steering, cameras, auto parking brake, sunroofs, computer displays, etc..), I personally feel much more comfortable with a warranty and only a $100 deductible. I personally chose the 8yr / 125k $100 deductible plan using www.chryslerfactoryplans.com and the PAYINFULL coupon code. Just my opinion on it.

Last edited:

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it also depends on how long you plan on keeping your rig. If you are in for the long haul, I think the $2200-2600 may be a wise investment (especially on a new gen model). About 4 years back, my wife bought a similar plan to the mopar maxcare on her car and she had her first warranty claim recently due to an lcd touch screen failure. The whole hardware and wiring had to be replaced. Her initial premium at the time was about 1,800 and the cost of replacement and labor would have been about $2,400. Warranty covered it in full. Just one example.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Good call. Years ago, any Chrysler/Dodge minivan was about a requirement to get one...

Reactions: Jtr

Barney556180

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my 2019 Big Horn Hemi. Should I get the extended waranty, and if so, from who? Thanks.

Basic question to answer is how long do you REALLY expect to keep the truck? Unless you will hang onto it for more than the factory’s warranty, you’d do better putting the money towards something else for the truck.
An extended warranty will not increase a future sale or trade-in value much.
On the other hand, as a previous poster mentioned, you might save the money and take care of out-of-warranty issues later out of pocket.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Basic question to answer is how long do you REALLY expect to keep the truck? Unless you will hang onto it for more than the factory’s warranty, you’d do better putting the money towards something else for the truck.
An extended warranty will not increase a future sale or trade-in value much.
On the other hand, as a previous poster mentioned, you might save the money and take care of out-of-warranty issues later out of pocket.
And that can be a tough question, honestly. I might say now that I plan to keep the truck indefinitely, but is that really true? As they say, “The best-laid plans...” I bought a Lifetime MaxCare warranty because (1) they were being discontinued, (2) I could swing it, and (3) I can get a prorated refund during the first 7 years. If I wasn’t optimistic on keeping the truck, I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger.

Reactions: Jtr

Ranger

Reaction score
If you're considering an extended warranty, and debating on which year/mileage package is best suited for your intended ownership period, remember that it is refundable with prorate. So, if you get a 6yr plan and trade/sell the truck in 4 years, the remaining 2 years of coverage can either be transferred to the new owner (which could help sell the truck for a little more, or a little faster) OR you get a refund check valued at the remaining 2 years of unused coverage (in this example, roughly 33% of the original purchase price). In the second scenario (getting a refund check), you are safe to go with a year/mileage package higher than you think you'll need, knowing you'll only pay for the years you have it after the prorated refund of unused coverage.

Now, if the initial up front cost is a major player in the decision, then the "safe to buy a longer plan" advice is moot.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Some additional tidbits to add on top of others who posted.

1.) You have up to 1 year, OR 12,000 miles, to decide without seeing the price increase due to age/mileage. This is from build date of the vehicle.

2.) If you cancel, you will receive a pro rate refund. I had a Unlimited Years/Mileage plan on my previously owned (Original Owner) 14’ Jeep Grand Cherokee. I cancelled the plan and they still gave me $25. I had even used the plan twice during the normal out of warranty period. It saved me thousands.

3.) I was under the impression that the plan “IS NOT” transferable except for only a handful of states. However, that may have only been for my previous Unlimited plan.

ocmd

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. This will be my last truck, and I don't plan on more than 8000 miles per year as I have several other vehicles. This is basically my boat tower. I'll mull it over and then probably buy the "repair Insurance" lol......By the way, was $35,400 out the door for a BIg Horn, no leather, Hemi 4wd a fair price? I thought I got a good deal and am happy with it, but curious as to how good a deal it was. Thanks.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'd say your deal was fine. My KVille RAM dealer, where I bought 6 weeks before :( the big rebates came, has only 2 like yours on the lot now:

Users who are viewing this thread