5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck Quality Issues - How Picky Should I Be?

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2022 Rebel two weeks ago and I have a couple issues and I'm curious to get feedback if I am being too picky.

1) Wind Noise / Whistle coming from the windshield. Doesn't happen all the time and seems to be dependent on wind conditions and is most noticeable around 40-45 mph. It is very annoying when it happens, but maybe hard to reproduce for the dealer.

2) Rattle coming from front dash or driver side door. Only happens when going over small bumps, but occurs frequently. Not super annoying but is bothersome as it is a brand new truck. I can see something hanging in the driver door speaker, but I don't think this is what is making the noise.

3) CarPlay drops all the time. I take many work calls and meetings in the truck and within 10 mins the phone will drop about 3 times and reconnects. The driving directions and phone continue to work, but completely disconnects for about 30 seconds and then reconnects to the truck's system. Makes a phone call very challenging.

There are other issues that most others are experiencing as well (i.e. weather and travel apps not working), but these are my three biggest concerns.

I've checked my Uconnect software to ensure it is up to date and it is.

Is some of this to be expected? Is it ridiculous to push back to the dealer to ask them to resolve them? How hard should I push if they come back and say "we cannot replicate the issue"?

For an $81K truck, I would hope they address them, but I also wondering if I'm just being too picky.

Curious to hear what others think and or have done.

Thanks for the help
RAM/FCA be pricey
so
YOU be picky

Tinshield

Reaction score
On the CarPlay issue, try different cables, and a different phone if possible, before you go in. Otherwise they’ll throw it right back on you and say your cable / phone is bad. Intermittent issues are the worst, especially when trying to get a dealership to fix them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, you can drop the current Uconnect connection and reconnect the phone and refuse wireless CarPlay and use a cable. Or, plug the phone in before you start the truck and it will connect via cable. There’s less lag with the cable as well.

I think with the infotainment stuff it’s hard to account for so many variables. I’d imagine some more updates coming as well.

Last edited:

carlgoodwill

Reaction score
I have wind noise on my 20 Ram 1500, it's from the driver's side mirror, where the painted part meets the matte black part of the mirror. Not the joint where it rotates, but further out where the painted plastic meets the rest of the mirror. View attachment 125531
@d19r93 curious if there was any fix from the dealer once you identified the source with the mirror or is it just something you had to live with? My dealer is coming back indicating they are unable to identify the source and think it may just be a characteristic of the hood design. The other day my daughter asked if there was a bird in the truck with us because it was so noticeable. I doubt a hood design would create this as every owner would be complaining.

d19r93

Reaction score
@d19r93 curious if there was any fix from the dealer once you identified the source with the mirror or is it just something you had to live with? My dealer is coming back indicating they are unable to identify the source and think it may just be a characteristic of the hood design. The other day my daughter asked if there was a bird in the truck with us because it was so noticeable. I doubt a hood design would create this as every owner would be complaining.

I never got a fix from the dealer. Just lived with it. I put black electrical tape on but it comes off after a short time.

d19r93

Reaction score
I will give it a shot...but not sure why the pressing the recirculation button stops noise from the mirror. I would even close the mirrors while driving and the noise remains. :(
Totally get your point. If you close the mirrors while driving and it still happens, definitely not the mirror.

carlgoodwill

Reaction score
For anyone experiencing the wind whistle issue this might be helpful - Star Case S2023000037A. My dealer is working on this now in hopes that it resolves my issue.

Attachments

• MC-10180215-9999.pdf
    190.5 KB · Views: 39

d19r93

Reaction score
For anyone experiencing the wind whistle issue this might be helpful - Star Case S2023000037A. My dealer is working on this now in hopes that it resolves my issue.
It's amazing how many areas on these 1500's received a void in the sealant.

tat2dwiseguy

Reaction score
The wind whistle tea kettle noise is the WORST. I am certain it has something to do with the recirculation door seal in the cabin air filter. It has nothing to do with a window seal or mirror. I am pass frustrated with this freaking noise on a 2022 limited!
i had the whistle when my truck was brand new... traded in a 2020 limited for my 2022 limited, so i was comparing apples to apples.... on my 1000 mile drive home from Mark Dodge, it drove me nuts. I put my Vent Visors on a week later and i don't hear the noise anymore.... it definitely helped, no matter where the noise was coming from whether it was the mirrors or the vents. YMMV.

tat2dwiseguy

Reaction score
1) Wind Noise / Whistle coming from the windshield. Doesn't happen all the time and seems to be dependent on wind conditions and is most noticeable around 40-45 mph. It is very annoying when it happens, but maybe hard to reproduce for the dealer.

2) Rattle coming from front dash or driver side door. Only happens when going over small bumps, but occurs frequently. Not super annoying but is bothersome as it is a brand new truck. I can see something hanging in the driver door speaker, but I don't think this is what is making the noise.

3) CarPlay drops all the time. I take many work calls and meetings in the truck and within 10 mins the phone will drop about 3 times and reconnects. The driving directions and phone continue to work, but completely disconnects for about 30 seconds and then reconnects to the truck's system. Makes a phone call very challenging.

There are other issues that most others are experiencing as well (i.e. weather and travel apps not working), but these are my three biggest concerns.

I've checked my Uconnect software to ensure it is up to date and it is.

Is some of this to be expected? Is it ridiculous to push back to the dealer to ask them to resolve them? How hard should I push if they come back and say "we cannot replicate the issue"?

For an $81K truck, I would hope they address them, but I also wondering if I'm just being too picky.

Curious to hear what others think and or have done.

Thanks for the help
I went into the local dealer two days ago with my 2000 mile 2022 Limited that i bought through Mark Dodge. i had a list of nit picky items that i asked them to remedy. I'd say all but one was nit picky and i didn't feel one bit bad about asking them to fix them because FCA is paying them to do so. I had misaligned tail pipes (Up and down and front to back). I fixed the up and down myself, they told me the front to back was normal (the drivers side sits an inch under the bumper while the passenger side sits flush). Ok, next. I had wind noise coming from the passenger rear door, and the door seal on the driver rear door bulges out the top and makes the door hard to close. They ordered new door seals.... come back in 3 weeks. Next. The sport hood vents are crooked and the corners stick up enough to see daylight under them... enough that a towel or car wash could snag it and rip it off... they ordered those too, also on backorder. Next. I have high idle and jerky shifting at low speed, and poor response/kickdown at highway speeds. They said this checked out all normal and there were no software updates available.... guess i need a Pulsar or something.... Next. I had a few complaints about Uconnect... not remembering settings, the map disappearing, not shifting from day to night mode, "Strange" activitiy with Car Play, etc. The service writer told me that the dealerships don't / aren't allowed to service Uconnect units anymore, that they are their own entity within Stelantis, and you have to open service tickets with them and they will push you sofware updates.... um, ok... i guess.... Next. The front passenger door lock knob sat about a half inch below the bezel, where the drivers side sits flush. They adjusted the door panel and knob and they now both sit flush. So, 1 out of 6 items addressed, and they kept the truck for 2 days to do that... AWESOME. Wonder how long it will take them to install the door seals and hood vents if and when they ever come in?
Oh, and by utter coincidence, while driving home from the dealer, i got a notification that I had a Uconnect software update availalbe. Do i want to download it and install it.... a coincidence? Hmmmmmm.
Good luck getting yours resolved. We pay for them so we can enjoy them, and we should. Hopefully you have a good and patient service writer like mine.

Mopargirl15

Reaction score
Re: wind noise

They said “put the HVAC system on recirc and it goes away a little”. That’s not a great answer. I can’t imagine doing a kitchen for one of my customers worth 70-80,000 and have it be just “ok”. It has to be mint. Anywho, they replaced my driver’s side weatherstripping and it helped a bit, but on windy days it totally sucks. My 14 didn’t make a sound.

I also think that owners don’t have to espouse the mindset of “is it ok to complain” - 80,000 is a lot of money, it really fn is.

I picked mine up last week and have a whistle as well. Putting it on recirc makes it worse. Drives me insane

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I picked mine up last week and have a whistle as well. Putting it on recirc makes it worse. Drives me insane

My driver’s side weatherstripping was replaced under warranty (actually helped) but the passenger side apparently isn’t. I’m 100 percent sure that the passenger side was an issue a couple of months back when they did the other side, there isn’t a cliff that weatherstripping stands at waiting for the right time.

*that would be a bit of a complaint regarding service, not the most thorough or able to move around in the scope of the work. I understand the time constraints but it makes for trip(s) to the dealership that might not be necessary.

BigD

Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether u buy a Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan. They all got issues. They all usually get 2 or 3 stars out of 5 for reliability. I blame all the computer crap in these things now days for a lot of the issues. Way too much technology. Glad I bought a BH for $40,000 & not a tech heavy trim. I could've bought 2 trucks for what u paid for 1 Rebel !! Drive that p.o.s. with the windows down & the radio cranked up & be grateful if it starts & gets u to your destination. They are all made like **** now days. Once I get out of construction I will either ride a bicycle or buy a 15 yr old Honda Civic to get me from point A to B. Your $80,000 u spent means absolutely NOTHING to the suit & ties who run the dealership or Stellantis !! Sorry to be so harsh, but it's true.

Tinshield

Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether u buy a Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, or Nissan. They all got issues. They all usually get 2 or 3 stars out of 5 for reliability. I blame all the computer crap in these things now days for a lot of the issues. Way too much technology. Glad I bought a BH for $40,000 & not a tech heavy trim. I could've bought 2 trucks for what u paid for 1 Rebel !! Drive that p.o.s. with the windows down & the radio cranked up & be grateful if it starts & gets u to your destination. They are all made like **** now days. Once I get out of construction I will either ride a bicycle or buy a 15 yr old Honda Civic to get me from point A to B. Your $80,000 u spent means absolutely NOTHING to the suit & ties who run the dealership or Stellantis !! Sorry to be so harsh, but it's true.
The higher trims really bring diminishing return on your money.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The higher trims really bring diminishing return on your money.
That's true, but I have more "stuff" to enjoy while I own it. It's the same way with luxury vehicles. They're probably the worst as far as losing initial value goes.

This is less of an issue for people who keep their vehicles for a long time. I tend not to consider resale value when shopping for a new vehicle. I'm buying it for me, not for the next person who ends up buying it.

Jaylon35

Reaction score
They replaced the recirculation housing and it WORKS! I feel like I am driving my truck properly for the first time. No Whistle
Part Number Housing A 24028025

Mopargirl15

Reaction score
They replaced the recirculation housing and it WORKS! I feel like I am driving my truck properly for the first time. No Whistle
Part Number Housing A 24028025

Had mine at the dealer and they said it’s the windshield so they are replacing it I’m not convinced that’s the issue though

Last edited:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At least some of these pictures look like the same area they were targeting for water leaks into the cab.... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread