5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Truck Quality Issues - How Picky Should I Be?

carlgoodwill

Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2022 Rebel two weeks ago and I have a couple issues and I'm curious to get feedback if I am being too picky.

1) Wind Noise / Whistle coming from the windshield. Doesn't happen all the time and seems to be dependent on wind conditions and is most noticeable around 40-45 mph. It is very annoying when it happens, but maybe hard to reproduce for the dealer.

2) Rattle coming from front dash or driver side door. Only happens when going over small bumps, but occurs frequently. Not super annoying but is bothersome as it is a brand new truck. I can see something hanging in the driver door speaker, but I don't think this is what is making the noise.

3) CarPlay drops all the time. I take many work calls and meetings in the truck and within 10 mins the phone will drop about 3 times and reconnects. The driving directions and phone continue to work, but completely disconnects for about 30 seconds and then reconnects to the truck's system. Makes a phone call very challenging.

There are other issues that most others are experiencing as well (i.e. weather and travel apps not working), but these are my three biggest concerns.

I've checked my Uconnect software to ensure it is up to date and it is.

Is some of this to be expected? Is it ridiculous to push back to the dealer to ask them to resolve them? How hard should I push if they come back and say "we cannot replicate the issue"?

For an $81K truck, I would hope they address them, but I also wondering if I'm just being too picky.

Curious to hear what others think and or have done.

Thanks for the help

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 2 rattles from 2 doors. After searching a bit, I found a single screw in both doors in the plastic slot ( below door handle ). Definitely check that area good.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how much your new Rebel costs, it's built in the same factory as, and alongside the cheapest Tradesman. Noises in a new vehicle bug the crap outta me. I'd be at the dealership as soon as I could get the truck there. The carplay issue wouldn't be a big deal for me since I rarely make phone calls while driving. But if you use it as much as you say, I'd be having that looked at too.

There have been quite a few members who complained about whistling noises in their 5th gens. These were mostly 2019 and early 2020 models though. You might try searching on that to see what people found for causes of the whistling.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Re: wind noise

They said “put the HVAC system on recirc and it goes away a little”. That’s not a great answer. I can’t imagine doing a kitchen for one of my customers worth 70-80,000 and have it be just “ok”. It has to be mint. Anywho, they replaced my driver’s side weatherstripping and it helped a bit, but on windy days it totally sucks. My 14 didn’t make a sound.

I also think that owners don’t have to espouse the mindset of “is it ok to complain” - 80,000 is a lot of money, it really fn is.

Last edited:

d19r93

Reaction score
I have wind noise on my 20 Ram 1500, it's from the driver's side mirror, where the painted part meets the matte black part of the mirror. Not the joint where it rotates, but further out where the painted plastic meets the rest of the mirror. Capture.PNG

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
$81K Rebel? o_O

I think I would have went with a TRX.
Not sure that makes sense, depending on what the truck will be used for. An $81k Rebel would likely have every option you can get. An $81k TRX (if you can find one) would be a stripped down version, with no real options. Unless your goal is to have it for the power and off-road capability, it won't be as nice inside as the fully optioned Rebel. There is also the availability of RWD with the Rebel, if the buyer wants that. Also, the fuel economy will be much worse with the TRX. So if this is will be a daily driver, this TRX doesn't make sense for most people. But if it's going to be used as an off-road toy I agree with your post.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2022 Rebel two weeks ago and I have a couple issues and I'm curious to get feedback if I am being too picky.

1) Wind Noise / Whistle coming from the windshield. Doesn't happen all the time and seems to be dependent on wind conditions and is most noticeable around 40-45 mph. It is very annoying when it happens, but maybe hard to reproduce for the dealer.

2) Rattle coming from front dash or driver side door. Only happens when going over small bumps, but occurs frequently. Not super annoying but is bothersome as it is a brand new truck. I can see something hanging in the driver door speaker, but I don't think this is what is making the noise.

3) CarPlay drops all the time. I take many work calls and meetings in the truck and within 10 mins the phone will drop about 3 times and reconnects. The driving directions and phone continue to work, but completely disconnects for about 30 seconds and then reconnects to the truck's system. Makes a phone call very challenging.

There are other issues that most others are experiencing as well (i.e. weather and travel apps not working), but these are my three biggest concerns.

I've checked my Uconnect software to ensure it is up to date and it is.

Is some of this to be expected? Is it ridiculous to push back to the dealer to ask them to resolve them? How hard should I push if they come back and say "we cannot replicate the issue"?

For an $81K truck, I would hope they address them, but I also wondering if I'm just being too picky.

Curious to hear what others think and or have done.

Thanks for the help
Complain.

You paid for a new truck. You should get a new truck. I don't care if it cost $3.50.

carlgoodwill

Reaction score
Not sure that makes sense, depending on what the truck will be used for. An $81k Rebel would likely have every option you can get. An $81k TRX (if you can find one) would be a stripped down version, with no real options. Unless your goal is to have it for the power and off-road capability, it won't be as nice inside as the fully optioned Rebel. There is also the availability of RWD with the Rebel, if the buyer wants that. Also, the fuel economy will be much worse with the TRX. So if this is will be a daily driver, this TRX doesn't make sense for most people. But if it's going to be used as an off-road toy I agree with your post.
Exactly. It is fully loaded with every option. I travel a lot for work so the MPG compared to the TRX was huge as well as the comfort of all the options. If I put all the options in my Rebel into the TRX it was about $100K and that was not including what the Dealers were marking up on TRX trucks over MSRP. So the Rebel made sense to me for the daily driver and occasional off road.

jws1982

Reaction score
On the CarPlay issue, try different cables, and a different phone if possible, before you go in. Otherwise they’ll throw it right back on you and say your cable / phone is bad. Intermittent issues are the worst, especially when trying to get a dealership to fix them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beetlespin

Reaction score
I had the dealer add a drop in bedliner as part of my deal. First one was dented. They replaced it and the second one is dented. They said the sun will help it pop out, I don't think so. I have had several Ford drop in liners and they seem to be more rigid, never dented.

Dealer added the mopar mud flaps to the truck as part of "what we do to all the trucks" Fastener was missing on one. They added the fastener and it still doesn't sit right.

Starting to like my old Ford quality more and more. I hope I didn't make a mistake with this Ram.

Jaylon35

Reaction score
The wind whistle tea kettle noise is the WORST. I am certain it has something to do with the recirculation door seal in the cabin air filter. It has nothing to do with a window seal or mirror. I am pass frustrated with this freaking noise on a 2022 limited!

d19r93

Reaction score
The wind whistle tea kettle noise is the WORST. I am certain it has something to do with the recirculation door seal in the cabin air filter. It has nothing to do with a window seal or mirror. I am pass frustrated with this freaking noise on a 2022 limited!
See my post and picture above. I'm almost 100% positive that it's coming from the mirror. I thought it was the windshield too. But someone mentioned that spot, I put a piece of electrical tape over that joint completely, and the noise went away until the tape started to come back off. Once that tape came off finally, the whistle came back.

Jaylon35

Reaction score
See my post and picture above. I'm almost 100% positive that it's coming from the mirror. I thought it was the windshield too. But someone mentioned that spot, I put a piece of electrical tape over that joint completely, and the noise went away until the tape started to come back off. Once that tape came off finally, the whistle came back.
I will give it a shot...but not sure why the pressing the recirculation button stops noise from the mirror. I would even close the mirrors while driving and the noise remains. :(

Jaylon35

Reaction score
Re: wind noise

They said “put the HVAC system on recirc and it goes away a little”. That’s not a great answer. I can’t imagine doing a kitchen for one of my customers worth 70-80,000 and have it be just “ok”. It has to be mint. Anywho, they replaced my driver’s side weatherstripping and it helped a bit, but on windy days it totally sucks. My 14 didn’t make a sound.

I also think that owners don’t have to espouse the mindset of “is it ok to complain” - 80,000 is a lot of money, it really fn is.
AGREED!!!!!! We need to make this a damn recall issue. I am so FRUSTRATED..... Mirror....window...recirculation....door seals.... I believe it is an HVAC system issue that they haven't or don't want to figure out yet. This should NOT be this hard on a truck that cost me so much money. Problem is...you don't test drive the damn thing on the interstate.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
AGREED!!!!!! We need to make this a damn recall issue. I am so FRUSTRATED..... Mirror....window...recirculation....door seals.... I believe it is an HVAC system issue that they haven't or don't want to figure out yet. This should NOT be this hard on a truck that cost me so much money. Problem is...you don't test drive the damn thing on the interstate.
I test drove mine on the highway. I see no reason you shouldn't be able to do that.

As far as making this a recall, that's never gonna happen unless it becomes a safety issue. Recalls are only issued for safety related issues I agree that Ram should be held accountable. But as long as they continue to sell vehicles, they seem willing to lose a few customers over issues like this (and others).

The most powerful tool we have is our money. No one is forcing anyone to buy a Stellantis product. If they continue to ignore the concerns of customers, we can choose to take our money elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread