5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New truck knock

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Brand new 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 no e-torque with 77 miles on it right now. I noticed it yesterday morning and again this morning that something sounds like it wants out of the motor at startup. It lasts for about 5 seconds and goes away. Any problems with these engines that I should know about?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Brand new 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 no e-torque with 77 miles on it right now. I noticed it yesterday morning and again this morning that something sounds like it wants out of the motor at startup. It lasts for about 5 seconds and goes away. Any problems with these engines that I should know about?

You could have either broken manifold bolts + warped manifold, or you could have a bad oil filter allowing the oil to drain back when it's off (switch to one from Wix or Royal Purple). Hard to say from your description, maybe post a video?

If noise is still there when warm it could be lifter tick.

Jdthompson79

Reaction score
Mine occasionally does the same thing. 2021 with 1300 miles on it. It ticks for just a couple seconds right at start up. It has made the noise once when the engine was cold and once when it was warm.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
77 miles on the truck, it's the notorious "Hemi knock". It's what some would say normal. Although I don't think any knock is normal. Either way, if you're concerned about it take it in and have the dealer check it out.

Gemlin

Reaction score
Get it checked out. My 2019 Ram is at the dealer getting a engine replacement. (Lifter ATE the Camshaft, throwing metal shavings into the engine bearings.).

At least its covered under warranty.

Hemidakota

Reaction score
I've been trying to get it on video but it hasn't done it again.

ram0686

Reaction score
Get it checked out. My 2019 Ram is at the dealer getting a engine replacement. (Lifter ATE the Camshaft, throwing metal shavings into the engine bearings.).

At least its covered under warranty.
Just for my curiosity.. were your oil changes performed based on the trucks computer? Or every so many miles? I'm just documenting this matter! I appreciate your info!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it hasn't happend again, then it sounds like lifter tick, but the "good kind", like when it's just because the oil drained out. Change the oil and put in a Royal Purple or Wix oil filter, something with a silicone anti-drain back valve. The mopar oil filters have known to cause lifter tick on startup for a few seconds, some people have it most don't, but it can be fixed with a better filter.

dpregs

Reaction score
Happens all the time with mine. I have asked the dealer about it multiple times and they say there is nothing wrong with it. I will try to get it on video to see if it is the same.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Could be piston slap. Nothing to worry about if it goes away quickly. Piston shrinks when cold so there's a bit of slop till it heats up.

Many HO engines do this including my LS2.

KrustyKush

Reaction score
Mine makes a few noises upon cold start-up. Once the motor and trans are up to temperature, it is nice and smooth. I've learned not to worry much about cold start noises. Pretty much any noise that consistently goes away as the engine heats up, is either "normal" or at least "not abnormal." Any noise that is a sign of something broken, will eventually get worse and show itself in a breakdown.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about the impact of termperature. Like aren't pistons made out of forged steel? How much of a reduction in piston diameter could even the coldest evening cause the following morning?

Orion10182011

Reaction score
saw an add on Instagram, anyone try?

I sometimes wonder about the impact of termperature. Like aren't pistons made out of forged steel? How much of a reduction in piston diameter could even the coldest evening cause the following morning?

Pistons are typically made from cast Aluminum. Some high performance engines use Forged Aluminum. They are not steel.

Users who are viewing this thread