5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tradesman vs low mile bighorn? What would you do

mkling

Reaction score
So looking at ordering at 4% below invoice a new Tradesman quad cab. 5.7 etorque, class IV hitch, equipment group 1, night package. Still looks cool for a tradesman but without all the expensive extras that I don’t really care about.
I prefer a simple truck as opposed to all the extra gadgets. Don’t care or need the fancy radio heated seats remote start.
I came across a 2022 bighorn in service in February with 12,500 miles. Dealer loaner supposedly. Few chips but pretty clean. Pretty loaded bighorn equipment grp 2, night package. Heated seats yada yada. No etorque. could get it now which could help me on taxes this year a little.
Both would end up being the same price. new tradesman maybe less if incentives for it when I take delivery.
I keep my vehicles a long time. Retiring my 06 2500 manual trans bighorn. Love the truck but it’s gotten so rusty it’s more than I can deal with.
What would you do for same money order new or buy low mileage used better optioned?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Me personally, I like the extras but that's personal preference. If you don't drive a lot, mileage shouldn't be an issue, but if you drive a lot, that 12,500 mile head start may take you out of warranty pretty quick. If you're keeping it long term, I don't think resale value is much of a concern either, so the higher trim really won't do anything but give you the extra stuff. I've bought used vehicles before, and it's nice to let someone else take the initial hit in depreciation for you, but that really only pays off in this situation if you want the extra stuff.

On the flip side, the Tradesman is brand new, and all the miles will be yours. I've ordered more than one new vehicle over the years and there's definitely something nice about knowing the history of all the miles. That makes me lean toward the Tradesman, but I'm a bit of a freak about germs and stuff, so knowing exactly what has been cleaned (and how well it was cleaned) leans me to the new truck. As much as I like my fancy features, one of the favorite trucks I've ever owned was my '99 Dakota. It was a 2 door with crank windows, manual locks and a cassette deck (in lieu of the more expensive cd player). So a frill free truck isn't a bad thing.

Both sides have their pros and cons, and the jury is still out on eTorque. Some have had good experiences, others have not. I think in both situations, you should end up with a nice truck your happy with. Weighing the options, and based on my preferences, I'd probably get the new Tradesman over the used Bighorn but it would be a tough decision to make.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
the bighorn is nice but it was someone else's problem
I don't like to buy used for this reason

my bighorn with package A is very nice but I only have 7500 miles
I have not had any issues as of today
if you can get an extended warrantee, it might be worth it for the same price

but again it was someone else's problem

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd probably be more interested in the BH than the Tradesman. But then again, I bought a fully loaded Limited LOL. One thing to consider is the BH doesn't have etorque. Which should be right up your alley if you don't like any extras. Less things to break. The only reason I might consider the Tradesman is that it's new. Meaning you wouldn't be potentially inheriting someone else's problems. Thinking about getting that because it's simpler doesn't apply as much as you might think. Sure, the BH has options the Tradesman doesn't. And those options can have problems. But even the Tradesman has computers controlling everything on the truck. So there are lots of areas for potential failure on both trucks. Looks can carry a lot of weight for buyers. Do you like how the BH looks? I prefer the Night Edition, but the again I hate chrome.

mkling

Reaction score
Both would have night package. Bighorn is white which I’m not thrilled with. Tradesman order would be billet silver with night package.
I'd probably be more interested in the BH than the Tradesman. But then again, I bought a fully loaded Limited LOL. One thing to consider is the BH doesn't have etorque. Which should be right up your alley if you don't like any extras. Less things to break. The only reason I might consider the Tradesman is that it's new. Meaning you wouldn't be potentially inheriting someone else's problems. Thinking about getting that because it's simpler doesn't apply as much as you might think. Sure, the BH has options the Tradesman doesn't. And those options can have problems. But even the Tradesman has computers controlling everything on the truck. So there are lots of areas for potential failure on both trucks. Looks can carry a lot of weight for buyers. Do you like how the BH looks? I prefer the Night Edition, but the again I hate chrome.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the bighorn is nice but it was someone else's problem
I don't like to buy used for this reason

Well, you hear that a lot, but it's not always the case. I do get that to a point, which is one of the reasons I'd like the new Tradesman too. That said, I wouldn't automatically assume a used vehicle was a problem for anyone. Run a Carfax to check service records, not just for crash history.

I traded my '18 Wrangler when I bought my Ram. Absolutely nothing wrong with my Jeep, I just missed having a truck. My Jeep was low miles, garage kept, free from damage, and never had any problems with it. The person buying it wasn't inheriting someone else's problem, they were just getting a vehicle that I decided I didn't want as much as something else. I considered keeping the Jeep and buying the Ram but I can only drive one at a time so both seemed pointless (although I ended up buying another Jeep about a month ago so I should have just kept the first one).

Both would have night package. Bighorn is white which I’m not thrilled with. Tradesman order would be billet silver with night package.
The color you want and brand new? Sounds like the choice I'd make, especially if you don't care about features. Although I gotta say, the camera mirror that I didn't think I'd care for is amazing. Probably one of the smartest features on the truck (although it's optional, they don't all have it). Point is, you may not think you'll care about a feature, until you have it. Which of course makes the next truck more expensive because you want that on the next one too. :rolleyes:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that the Tradesman has the Night Edition package. Even so, white Night Edition would sell me on the BH. Good luck with your decision.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I love all of the options on my Laramie, but sometimes wish I had gone with something more basic. This is my daily driver, but was purchased to haul our TT. Having the extra payload of the Tradesman would be a nice benefit!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One other thing to consider... Will you pay cash or finance? You'll usually get a better interest rate on a new truck. I was torn between ordering a BH Backcountry and a fully loaded Tradesman Night. In the end I bought a fairly loaded Rebel, because it just rolled of the transport and I didn't want to wait.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd go Bighorn. Those features will be appreciated over time and that non-hybrid Hemi will be easier to keep on the road long term since you already said you keep trucks a long time.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would take new, would the dealer really disclose any possible issues with the big horn?
granted you would still be under warranty and could also purchase extended warranty but I would still go with new.
Of a special note in my case the jump seat really comes in handy and I miss it on mine. I am pretty sure that big horn has the center console

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If towing or hauling mean much to you, how do the towing/payload numbers compare?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Ask to see the carfax. If it was really a demo, all it should show are a couple oil changes and tire rotations at that same dealership, and maybe a recall or two. No carfax means they're hiding something. You could also take the VIN over to the service department and they can pull up the service history, too, but only from Ram dealers.

It's nice to own a brand new vehicle, but on the other hand, there have been enough posts here that show certain features were discontinued and what you get is not what you ordered. At least if you take one off the lot, what you see is what you get.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
eTorque doesn’t do much and could be an expensive liability down the road. Not a fan. And I have eTorque.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d go BH personally. Having some of the comfort features like heated seats/steering wheel is a god sent come winter time without going overboard on all the bells and whistles especially since you keep vehicles for awhile better to have those features even if you don’t use them often enough then to wanna upgrade to something with those feature down the line. Plus not having the complexity of Etorque is a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jessed1

Reaction score
Tradesman, but I'm biased - my bighorn is a Billet Silver Night Edition and I love the look.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordering new consider adding the trailer brake controller. If the BH already has it then I might lean that way. I figure if you're going to have the hitch, better have brakes too. Does the Tradesman have vinyl seats, I don't think I'd like that? My $.02 :)

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it does, just have the dealer install Katskinz as part of the order. You can put them on any trim when you buy it.
Or you could put any branded seat covers on after purchase, (cloth, leather and even neoprene). Seat material is easy to change.

U

User_3336

Tradesman - - - start new, you'd know the history of the truck from day 1!!!

Users who are viewing this thread