5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New tradesman vs low mile bighorn? What would you do

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would buy a new, better optioned truck. If you ever go to sell, less people want stripper trucks than well optioned, and most of the upgrades from bare bones to next level up I think are worthwhile. But you already said you want a simple truck without extra stuff, so it doesn't sound like there's any decision to be made. Bighorns have more options and they cost more.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Given the choice I personally would go with a new vehicle, especially if I planned on keeping it for a long time. You already know you can order what you want, not pay for the options you don't care about, and you aren't in a 12k mile hole. My etorque has been problem free, but if I had the choice I wouldn't have bought a truck with it, so that is only the thing you mentioned that would sway me to the used BigHorn. Sounds like either way you are going to get a nice replacement for your HD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing you haven't mentioned is are you talking 1500 or 2500? Is this going to be a tow rig, or daily driver? Or both? Your precious truck was a 2500, so just going to assume you are replacing it with another one.

If that's the case, payload and towing capacity should be a concern and the Tradesman will definitely win in that category.

Otherwise, I'd say go for the BigHorn. You say you like basic trucks and don't need all the extra features. My dad used to say that as well. He never wanted power windows, tinted windows, heated seats or any of that. Now that he has owned a vehicle with all that's he won't buy one without those features. He realized how much better it was to have that stuff.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One thing you haven't mentioned is are you talking 1500 or 2500? Is this going to be a tow rig, or daily driver? Or both? Your precious truck was a 2500, so just going to assume you are replacing it with another one.

If that's the case, payload and towing capacity should be a concern and the Tradesman will definitely win in that category.

Otherwise, I'd say go for the BigHorn. You say you like basic trucks and don't need all the extra features. My dad used to say that as well. He never wanted power windows, tinted windows, heated seats or any of that. Now that he has owned a vehicle with all that's he won't buy one without those features. He realized how much better it was to have that stuff.
It's true he didn't specify 1500 or 2500, but I think it's safe to assume he's talking about a 1500 since he's talking about ordering a Tradesman with the 5.7L etorque engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's true he didn't specify 1500 or 2500, but I think it's safe to assume he's talking about a 1500 since he's talking about ordering a Tradesman with the 5.7L etorque engine.
You can get the 5.7 in HD. Or at least used to be able to. I don't own, and haven't really researched them.

mkling

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. Forgot to specify but looking for a 1500 this time around. I don’t have to tow quite as heavy these days.
Looks like I’m going to pass on the 12,000 mile Bighorn. It seemed like a decent price but I just don’t have a good feeling about it and swear it had a slight shimmy/shake at higher speeds.
Originally I was going to go drive it again and look it over really close and if it seemed near mint, get it. Left message for salesman asking for carfax and detailed service history and haven’t heard back. Maybe out of the office . This dealer seems like a pain to deal with and won’t budge on price at all. Not sure what’s up with dealers and salesman around here lately but they sure aren’t trying very hard to make sales.
Going to order the tradesman just how I want it. Dealer is about 4 hours away but I can order 4% below invoice plus incentives and they aren’t playing numbers games like all the local dealers I’ve talked to. I really want the Billet silver with night package. Sure I’d love a Laramie or limited but the tradesman built how I want will do everything I need and fit my budget better. Will still have a cool factor to me with the billet silver and night package.
Now if I could just make up my mind on 3.92 or 3.21.
I like how the 3.92 drives and towing capacity but not sure I want to take the mpg hit.
Rarely would tow heavy enough to need it but will have a decent size load in the bed often enough.
Mostly small city and rural driving. Not much interstate but will probably take a cross country trip with it every couple years.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. Forgot to specify but looking for a 1500 this time around. I don’t have to tow quite as heavy these days.
Looks like I’m going to pass on the 12,000 mile Bighorn. It seemed like a decent price but I just don’t have a good feeling about it and swear it had a slight shimmy/shake at higher speeds.
Originally I was going to go drive it again and look it over really close and if it seemed near mint, get it. Left message for salesman asking for carfax and detailed service history and haven’t heard back. Maybe out of the office . This dealer seems like a pain to deal with and won’t budge on price at all. Not sure what’s up with dealers and salesman around here lately but they sure aren’t trying very hard to make sales.
Going to order the tradesman just how I want it. Dealer is about 4 hours away but I can order 4% below invoice plus incentives and they aren’t playing numbers games like all the local dealers I’ve talked to. I really want the Billet silver with night package. Sure I’d love a Laramie or limited but the tradesman built how I want will do everything I need and fit my budget better. Will still have a cool factor to me with the billet silver and night package.
I like how the 3.92 drives and towing capacity but not sure I want to take the mpg hit.
Rarely would tow heavy enough to need it but will have a decent size load in the bed often enough.
Mostly small city and rural driving. Not much interstate but will probably take a cross country trip with it every couple years.
There wont be a significant difference in fuel mileage between the two unless you are cruising at highway speeds. Small city and rural lower speed, especially if you have hills instead of flat roads and the 3.92 might actually be slightly better.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Time to unwatch this thread. I don't know what is left to say or hear on that topic.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Even I won't start another gear debate on this one. 😄

I have to say ordering what you want is the way to go if that option is available to you. If you just want a basic truck, the tradesman was a good choice.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...... Not sure what’s up with dealers and salesman around here lately but they sure aren’t trying very hard to make sales..... .....I like how the 3.92 drives and towing capacity but not sure I want to take the mpg hit......
They're not trying so hard to make a sale anymore because they don't have to. With the shortage of supply, they can be lazy and still make sales.

As for the mpg hit. Empty, the 3.21 will do better around town. Loaded, I suspect the 3.92 may do a little better around town. Freeway, the 3.21's will do better either way, but that doesn't sound like a huge factor. Obviously this is a highly debated topic though, so I'd recommend getting the gears you think feel best to drive and leave it at that.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go look at it again, I'd call them on the dealer loaner claim they made. If it had never been registered, the warranty wouldn't start until you bought it (as would the xm trial). Being a former lease everything starts on the date/mileage of the first owner (February 2022 with 10 miles).
Use that information as a bargaining chip. That is assuming you're still willing to consider buying from them after the apparent attempt at deception.

Still, I think both are good options. Clearly the Big Horn didn't have any issues and was maintained so not a bad option to consider.

mkling

Reaction score
Thought I’d update you all.
I went ahead and ordered a 1500 quad cab tradesman just how I want it. That used bighorn just didn’t feel right to me for whatever reason.
Pretty well optioned for a tradesman.
5.7, Billet silver, Night edition, blind spot cross path, protection group, tradesman group, tradesman level 1, anti spin rear, 3.92.
Should work good for my needs. Thanks to those that took the time to post and provide input.

Kumba1010

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a 1500 quad cab tradesman just how I want it. That used bighorn just didn’t feel right to me for whatever reason.
5.7, Billet silver, Night edition, blind spot cross path, protection group, tradesman group, tradesman level 1, anti spin rear, 3.92.
Should work good for my needs. Thanks to those that took the time to post and provide input.
Good that you are getting something that works for you

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you price out a Big Horn, even with just level 1 equipment group? BH usually have better incentives than Tradesman, making up some of the price difference

mkling

Reaction score
Did you price out a Big Horn, even with just level 1 equipment group? BH usually have better incentives than Tradesman, making up some of the price difference
That’s a good point and I thought this over a lot. It’s hard to tell what incentives will be available when it comes in but hopefully I’ll get something on the tradesman.
A level 1 bighorn is a better value if it gets some incentives and tradesman doesn’t, but I lose some options that I really want and only pick up a couple options that don’t mean much to me. Basically would add heated seats and Uconnect, and maybe some interior trim pieces neither mean much to me. I’d lose night edition ( I really want the 20” black wheels and black trim/badges plus dual exhaust) and blind spot monitoring. I’d be unhappy with the truck without these and would end up modding things right away. Going to a level 2 BH with night edition would run me over 7500 more and put me over budget even if I get incentives.
I really need a new truck for work truck things. 90% of the time im driving it, Im hauling something in the bed. If I want creature comforts I drive my 300.
We’ll see how it ends up. I might regret not going bighorn but I think the tradesman should work out.

Users who are viewing this thread