5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram and truck life!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ill be joining the ram 1500 squad shortly and this will be my first truck. Very excited! I don't own it yet but will placing an order for a 2021 Laramie Ecodiesel within a week or so. Truck is spec'ed out and dealer is chosen but still have a little more research to do before pulling the trigger. This forum has already been a huge help! Look forward to learning more and offering up my insights throughout my ownership!
Hope you have better luck then some of us have. I have a 19, I wouldn’t buy another one!

jepettig

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2019 ram for about a month now. I was actually trying to get a Tacoma, but the dealer wouldn’t work with me. So I test drove a ram down the road. Liked the truck and the people, so I bought it at a really good price. It hasn’t let me down yet. There are a lot of electronics on these trucks, I do recommend getting the extended bumper to bumper warranty. It added about $40 to my note each month.
Ill be joining the ram 1500 squad shortly and this will be my first truck. Very excited! I don't own it yet but will placing an order for a 2021 Laramie Ecodiesel within a week or so. Truck is spec'ed out and dealer is chosen but still have a little more research to do before pulling the trigger. This forum has already been a huge help! Look forward to learning more and offering up my insights throughout my ownership!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you had to pay extra to get a 27.4 gallon gas tank? How big is the tank if you didn’t get that option?
That is the 33 US gallon tank.
124 litres is 33 US gallons of 27.4 Imperial gallons
I'm in Canada. Hence the ridiculous pricing as well.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the 33 US gallon tank.
124 litres is 33 US gallons of 27.4 Imperial gallons
I'm in Canada. Hence the ridiculous pricing as well.
Ok I noticed it was Canadian, I didn’t notice the imperial gallons part. Lol

Stevenc150

Reaction score
IMO if he buys a truck rated for 1400# and he hauls around 1700#, neither him, nor the truck, nor the world can tell the 300# difference. Not sure why it's such a big deal unless I'm missing something? I've frequently went over my stated payload #'s through the years (2000# just last week) with no ill affects at the steering wheel, driving, or otherwise.

I say get the features u want...if payloads are reasonably close, then buy it. U can always upgrade rear susp. fairly cheap to get ur payload #'s up a bit

Again...unless I missed something

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO if he buys a truck rated for 1400# and he hauls around 1700#, neither him, nor the truck, nor the world can tell the 300# difference. Not sure why it's such a big deal unless I'm missing something? I've frequently went over my stated payload #'s through the years (2000# just last week) with no ill affects at the steering wheel, driving, or otherwise.

I say get the features u want...if payloads are reasonably close, then buy it. U can always upgrade rear susp. fairly cheap to get ur payload #'s up a bit

Again...unless I missed something
You can't upgrade the rear suspension to get a higher payload. It's rated at what it's rated. There's no issue really unless he gets pulled over or I to an accident. He could get fined.

Were just trying to inform him on the options that he may or may not need that have the biggest hits to the payload.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
You can't upgrade the rear suspension to get a higher payload. It's rated at what it's rated. There's no issue really unless he gets pulled over or I to an accident. He could get fined.

Were just trying to inform him on the options that he may or may not need that have the biggest hits to the payload.
Is that a thing where he lives? I've never once been pulled over and asked about payload. An accident...unless were talking commercial vehicles or hes GROSSLY overweight that wont be a factor.

As far as higher rate springs, add'l air bags,etc not increasing payload; that's debatable depending on which google article u want to reference: HERE

It's his 1st truck I think right? I'm just trying to inject a little real world experience so he knows that 200-300 lbs over payload isnt the end of the world for him. In the end, I'm not arguing, just hate to see him sacrifice a 50# Pano for no reason (which my kids love btw as they feel they finally have their own sunroof) ;)

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that a thing where he lives? I've never once been pulled over and asked about payload. An accident...unless were talking commercial vehicles or hes GROSSLY overweight that wont be a factor.

As far as higher rate springs, add'l air bags,etc not increasing payload; that's debatable depending on which google article u want to reference: HERE

It's his 1st truck I think right? I'm just trying to inject a little real world experience so he knows that 200-300 lbs isnt the end of the world for him. In the end, I'm not arguing, just hate to see him sacrifice a 50# Pano for no reason (which my kids love btw as they feel they finally have their own sunroof) ;)
Oh no doubt. I've overloaded the **** out of my limited. I didn't have to go far and the air suspension handled it fine. It felt fine accelerating and braking too.

tom318

Reaction score
I’m not super concerned but a stocker with 1100lbs of payload just seems awful. I know the truck will do the job and a slight 200-300lbs I’m not really worried. For me it’s just the legalities if I get in an accident it’s my fault. Since I’m ordering one, if I can drop a specific option and get that payload 200-300lbs higher I will.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I’m not super concerned but a stocker with 1100lbs of payload just seems awful. I know the truck will do the job and a slight 200-300lbs I’m not really worried. For me it’s just the legalities if I get in an accident it’s my fault. Since I’m ordering one, if I can drop a specific option and get that payload 200-300lbs higher I will.
That's exactly what u should do. The 200-300# was a reference to an earlier post; truth is 500-1k isnt noticeable either. The legalities thing...smh. Those of us who have extensive truck ownership dont spend our time calculating payload before every haul. And from experience, when ur paying ~$50k for a truck, those add'l options that u dont get are the ones you'll regret. But i digress, i just wanted u to know sacrifice wasnt ur only option. All will become clearer as u further ur truck exp & ownership and push the false narrative of payloads. Either way, ill hush and leave u with a GL wish & happy hunting! (y)

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the airlift 1000hd bags in my truck. They say they add up to 2k lbs of load capacity. I loaded a 48v electric golf cart in the bed which I bet weighs 900-1k lbs. then hooked up my rv fish house with a 675lb tongue weight. Went 4-1/2hrs away and then came back without the golf cart. With the air bags it was fine. I wouldn’t want to add anymore weight though. My payload is 1,715lbs And I was right there. There’s only so much you want to ask of these 1/2 tons anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread