5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Ram and truck life!

tom318

Reaction score
You won't even be close to that.

My 2019 was a limited long bed Hemi with etorque, 33 gallon tank, sunroof, skid plates. Had 1190lb payload

My 2020 limited EcoDiesel with short bed, 33 gallon, sunroof has 1308lbs.

There is a long thread in the towing section where people are posting their payload stickers. You can read through that and get an idea of what your truck will be.

I'd take a look and see if you really need the long bed and off road group. Those are both pretty heavy. The 33 gallon tank is a must, and with the EcoDiesel you get unreal range.

Thanks for bringing this up. I could proboly skip the off-road group, all I wanted was the rear locker and for another 200 the rest seemed nice but not if it’s sinking my payload. Wanted the long bed for more load capacity (small atvs) but seems like it may hurt. I don’t own a travel trailer yet, but maybe a small toyhauler may be the solution for me. I can’t afford to drive a 2500 or 3500 on a daily basis. I commute 70-100miles a day. Going to the ecodiesel is already going to hurt considering I’ve been living with 40-45mpg for the last 8yrs. But these trucks are nice and I’m definitely in the need for one at this point in my life. (Maybe less options though).

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up. I could proboly skip the off-road group, all I wanted was the rear locker and for another 200 the rest seemed nice but not if it’s sinking my payload. Wanted the long bed for more load capacity (small atvs) but seems like it may hurt. I don’t own a travel trailer yet, but maybe a small toyhauler may be the solution for me. I can’t afford to drive a 2500 or 3500 on a daily basis. I commute 70-100miles a day. Going to the ecodiesel is already going to hurt considering I’ve been living with 40-45mpg for the last 8yrs. But these trucks are nice and I’m definitely in the need for one at this point in my life. (Maybe less options though).
Yeah, I really didn't pay attention to my truck options on my first one and was a little dissapointed with the payload. That's not to say the truck can't easily handle it, but it's not legal.

You don't have air suspension which will save some weight. If you want the long bed id skip the off road group and just order the limited slip differential seperately (the e locker only works at low speed and you have to manually select it everytime). I'd also consider skipping the MFT as one poster said, it's quite heavy and limits your tonneau cover choices. I think the long bed is around 80lbs more.

The EcoDiesel is great and you won't regret it. I'm seeing 28-30mpg constantly with mine. If you take a read through that long thread there is tons of info and you'll get an idea of what everything weighs.

tom318

Reaction score
Also maybe eliminate that MF gate to save even more weight. :)

Agree. It was easy and fun to tick all those option boxes and stay within my set budget but **** that. I'm wanting a truck because i'm pushing my current car to its absolute limit with the family and after being involved in an accident last sunday on the highway with someone hitting my trailer while being pulled by my VW TDI wagon, i'm done pushing/approaching limits. So the last thing I want my 60k to do is get me in the same situation i'm in. SO glad I joined and starting asking ?'s before ordering.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mentioned 700lbs of extra cargo which is a lot, some of that could be put in the travel trailer which would help with the truck payload. I think if you skip the MFT and the ORG you'll be decent on payload. The 33 gallon tank adds some serious range but with the EcoDiesel and 26 gallon tank you'll still get probably 500-600 miles per tank. The 33 gallon adds about 80lbs as well. For me it's worth it because I also have a long commute and it's nice not filling up all the time. I get over 1,400km per tank.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We are glad that we are able to answer the questions that you have. But the bottom line is you’ll have to live with this truck when you aren’t towing so please make sure you get the things at least that will make you happy every time you get in or see it. :)

tom318

Reaction score
You mentioned 700lbs of extra cargo which is a lot, some of that could be put in the travel trailer which would help with the truck payload. I think if you skip the MFT and the ORG you'll be decent on payload. The 33 gallon tank adds some serious range but with the EcoDiesel and 26 gallon tank you'll still get probably 500-600 miles per tank. The 33 gallon adds about 80lbs as well. For me it's worth it because I also have a long commute and it's nice not filling up all the time. I get over 1,400km per tank.

The 700lbs of gear is on the extreme end but it is possible . My 2 Honda trx90 atvs are about 500lbs or if i take the bigger Honda Foreman 500, its about 650lbs. Figured that plus a medium sized cooler, some tools and other crap, i can hit 700lbs of gear. If i get a small toy hauler vs. a standard bunkhouse style travel trailer ill be fine. My wife just doesn't like the toy haulers as much as a travel trailer. I love long range and that 33gallon option really brought me to ram along with interior and exterior appearance. I was pissed when ford didn't offer their 36gal tank for the 3.0 powerstroke and actually looked over that purchase and stuck with my wagon. I could for sure skip the MFT and ORG. Id like to keep the Pano roof. Torn on the bed, but for long trips it would be nice to just have the gate closed with the 2 atvs back there. That will most likely be our families most common trip, 2 small atvs, no trialer and about 300miles each way.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 700lbs of gear is on the extreme end but it is possible . My 2 Honda trx90 atvs are about 500lbs or if i take the bigger Honda Foreman 500, its about 650lbs. Figured that plus a medium sized cooler, some tools and other crap, i can hit 700lbs of gear. If i get a small toy hauler vs. a standard bunkhouse style travel trailer ill be fine. My wife just doesn't like the toy haulers as much as a travel trailer. I love long range and that 33gallon option really brought me to ram along with interior and exterior appearance. I was pissed when ford didn't offer their 36gal tank for the 3.0 powerstroke and actually looked over that purchase and stuck with my wagon. I could for sure skip the MFT and ORG. Id like to keep the Pano roof. Torn on the bed, but for long trips it would be nice to just have the gate closed with the 2 atvs back there. That will most likely be our families most common trip, 2 small atvs, no trialer and about 300miles each way.
Are you positive they will fit in the 6'4" bed with tailgate closed. My theory for not getting the longer bed this time is anything like a sheet of plywood or lumber needs the gate down anyways, so I might as well go with the shorter bed. I barely notice the difference.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@tom318 very glad to see you here learning about your truck purchase.

15 to 1600 payload is going to be very hard to get with a laramie or a limited.

If you find a truck with the options you like go to the RAM website and use the VIN. This will give you the exact payload.

Also remember when you are looking and see that max towing number...with your payload you will not be able to go that big.

Max towing is with 300lbs cargo/passenger and 70 for the hitch and a 10% tongue weight.

A tow hauler will have a very high tongue weight and a travel trailer should have about 12 to 14% for good towing.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for joining us

tom318

Reaction score
@tom318 very glad to see you here learning about your truck purchase.

15 to 1600 payload is going to be very hard to get with a laramie or a limited.

If you find a truck with the options you like go to the RAM website and use the VIN. This will give you the exact payload.

Also remember when you are looking and see that max towing number...with your payload you will not be able to go that big.

Max towing is with 300lbs cargo/passenger and 70 for the hitch and a 10% tongue weight.

A tow hauler will have a very high tongue weight and a travel trailer should have about 12 to 14% for good towing.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for joining us

Thanks for the info! luckily I haven't ordered yet or else id really be scrambling right now. Ill find a few trucks that seem close and see what the payloads are. And with the atvs, the 2 small ones require 70'' to fit and big one is ~74''.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Do you think he would be better off outfitting a Tradesman to fit his wants minus the Pano roof ?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think he would be better off outfitting a Tradesman to fit his wants minus the Pano roof ?
Sounds like he wants the luxury too. A big Horn might save a few lbs. The big horns with the black appearance package are pretty sharp.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I guess we would need to know if he requires the leather also if that’s the case unless they add it, the Bighorn is out.

tom318

Reaction score
Sounds like he wants the luxury too. A big Horn might save a few lbs. The big horns with the black appearance package are pretty sharp.

Ill keep hunting. This vin tool on the ram website will help me narrow it down by comparing trucks that are out there. If i can nail 1350-1400 payload with the right build, i think id be happy. Being new to this its just disappointing to see these figures, but these are massive heavy machines. The marketing got me on this one...

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Hemi crew cab 4x4 standard bed big horn with level 2 and black package. My payload is 1,715 lbs. This is my first crew cab with the 6’-4” box and I’ll never go back to a short box again. I honestly can’t tell the difference with the turn radius or parking so the added length to me is worth it. The patriot blue, with sport appearance was what I really wanted but couldn’t find one with the longer box. It’s such a sweet looking color with the painted bumpers.

No question you’re going to have to chose between some of the luxury and your payload. It was easy for me because I don’t like leather, I actually liked the small sunroofs but wanted nothing to do with that pano roof. The only reason I even have a level 2 group is because its the only way to get heated seats and steering wheel. But I really like the premium cloth seats, they are nice. I tow a RV fish house that has a tongue weight of 675lbs and I had to put in air bags because it squatted so bad. You’re going to be limited on your camper search if you go loaded up on that Laramie

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Hemi crew cab 4x4 standard bed big horn with level 2 and black package. My payload is 1,715 lbs. This is my first crew cab with the 6’-4” box and I’ll never go back to a short box again. I honestly can’t tell the difference with the turn radius or parking so the added length to me is worth it. The patriot blue, with sport appearance was what I really wanted but couldn’t find one with the longer box. It’s such a sweet looking color with the painted bumpers.

No question you’re going to have to chose between some of the luxury and your payload. It was easy for me because I don’t like leather, I actually liked the small sunroofs but wanted nothing to do with that pano roof. The only reason I even have a level 2 group is because its the only way to get heated seats and steering wheel. But I really like the premium cloth seats, they are nice. I tow a RV fish house that has a tongue weight of 675lbs and I had to put in air bags because it squatted so bad. You’re going to be limited on your camper search if you go loaded up on that Laramie
That's a good payload!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the amount of options he wants, I would not start with a tradesman.

A Bighorn is probably also going to be too less optioned.

If 1350 to 1400 work...i think a Laramie will be real close to what he wants.

The Longhorn could also if he dropped some options and the same for the Limited.

1350 to 1400 is about our ongoing average.

Me personally, I would go Laramie with off road group. Skip the pano, but with four wheelers and kids...that MFT is awesome.

Decisions. A REBEL would be a good choice to. Lol.

The big weight will be the pano, the MFT and the 33 gallon tank.

Have to have the 33 gallon. That pano is nice. The MFT is handy. Ugh, why I drive a HeavyDuty. Just waiting for the MFT and Pano to be available on them.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my limited build and payload. A Laramie should be a little lighter

Attachments

• 20200710_135856.jpg
    20200710_135856.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200710_135832.jpg
    20200710_135832.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 11

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my limited build and payload. A Laramie should be a little lighter
you had to pay extra to get a 27.4 gallon gas tank? How big is the tank if you didn’t get that option?

Users who are viewing this thread