5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW TIRE SPEEDO CALIBRATION?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I remember back in the day, I had a 6" lift and 35"s on my 2000 super duty. I gave the Ford dealer tech $20 and he did it for me in a couple of minutes. Guess those days are gone... :mad:

If I buy the Rough Country one I’ll charge people in Phoenix $20 and a cold beer to do it. We’ll call the beer inflation since 2000.

However, I am kind of enjoying the thought of keeping the miles down by 8-9%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicodywill

Reaction score
Yikes! $180 to recal the speedo? That's nuts.
I guess there are no other options, but still insanely expensive.
Yeah it was $180.00, but it does make an immediately noticeable change in the tranny shift points which makes the pickup feel MUCH more smooth and marginally more responsive. I'm hoping it helps the mileage somewhat as well (others have stated it helps MPG) . While, I don't anticipate a huge MPG jump if it just mitigates some of the drop from the upsize in rubber it'll be worth the $180.00 when considering it also doesn't effect my warranty (as per my dealer) and also gives me accurate MPH, MPG, Odometer readings.

If I buy the Rough Country one I’ll charge people in Phoenix $20 and a cold beer to do it. We’ll call the beer inflation since 2000.

However, I am kind of enjoying the thought of keeping the miles down by 8-9%.
From what I've been told that's not possible because once you connect it to a vehicle and upload a "tune" it VIN locks the unit to that vehicles VIN number preventing this.
If you re-set to factory settings it will unlock the VIN and it can then be used on another vehicle but it will then lock into that vehicles VIN.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
$180 is a small price for me to pay for peace of mind. Question once calibrated, I do not need to keep this connected do I ?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well my order has been placed, let’s see how long before it arrives. :)

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Yeah it was $180.00, but it does make an immediately noticeable change in the tranny shift points which makes the pickup feel MUCH more smooth and marginally more responsive. I'm hoping it helps the mileage somewhat as well (others have stated it helps MPG) . While, I don't anticipate a huge MPG jump if it just mitigates some of the drop from the upsize in rubber it'll be worth the $180.00 when considering it also doesn't effect my warranty (as per my dealer) and also gives me accurate MPH, MPG, Odometer readings.

From what I've been told that's not possible because once you connect it to a vehicle and upload a "tune" it VIN locks the unit to that vehicles VIN number preventing this.
If you re-set to factory settings it will unlock the VIN and it can then be used on another vehicle but it will then lock into that vehicles VIN.

Well dang. I was hoping to get my money back in free beer. Based on what you said about the shift points I am now considering this as well.

Last edited:

nicodywill

Reaction score
$180 is a small price for me to pay for peace of mind. Question once calibrated, I do not need to keep this connected do I ?
That was my line of thinking as well. Once the “tune” is uploaded you unhook the unit there is no added hardware. It just uploads software to the pickup.

Well my order has been placed, let’s see how long before it arrives. :)
I ordered direct from Rough Country and received my unit in 2 or 3 days from TN to TX via the free shipping option.

Well dang. I was hoping to get my money back in free beer. Based on what you said about the shift points I am now considering this as well.
I believe they have a money back guarantee. If they don’t I think there’s online dealers that do offer one. You could always try it and reset it to stock and return it if you don’t think it’s worth it.

WRH

Reaction score
Do you guys remove all the fuses as instructed per the document? Make me nervous like I could brick my truck or something...

Trfnj74

Reaction score
Just ordered one, I guess they are on sale.. Last week $180 today $150... Part 90019

dhmoore74

Reaction score
Just ordered mine this morning... $149 plus I paid t have next day. Getting 295/60 R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and 2" Rough Country level installed tomorrow morning. Will post pics tomorrow.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
For what it’s worth I have the Rough Country Speedo Calibrator and it worked just fine. That being said before I bought it I asked the dealer if they could calibrate the speedometer and they quoted me $430 or something like that because they said they would just have to buy an after market one and do it so they suggested I just go that route.

Fast forward to now and I just received my truck back as they replaced the DASM module to fix the ACC. They again recommended that I buy an aftermarket tuner to calibrate the speedo because if I ever get the truck reflashed it will overwrite the one they put on it for the speedometer. ???

I didn’t get to speak to the tech or even my service manager because I picked it up later in the evening so I didn’t ask to many questions but has anyone else gotten the dealer to correct the speedo.

I have my RC unit and I guess I’ll hold onto it. But I wish I would have known they can flash it. And I wonder how they did it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth I have the Rough Country Speedo Calibrator and it worked just fine. That being said before I bought it I asked the dealer if they could calibrate the speedometer and they quoted me $430 or something like that because they said they would just have to buy an after market one and do it so they suggested I just go that route.

Fast forward to now and I just received my truck back as they replaced the DASM module to fix the ACC. They again recommended that I buy an aftermarket tuner to calibrate the speedo because if I ever get the truck reflashed it will overwrite the one they put on it for the speedometer. ???

I didn’t get to speak to the tech or even my service manager because I picked it up later in the evening so I didn’t ask to many questions but has anyone else gotten the dealer to correct the speedo.

I have my RC unit and I guess I’ll hold onto it. But I wish I would have known they can flash it. And I wonder how they did it.

I asked my dealer about recalibration last week. He told me that they have not had the ability to recalibrate RAMs since about 2014 and that they don't expect FCA to give them that ability. He said that the dealers that are offering it now are likely just purchasing an aftermarket like Rough Country or Hypertech and charging for the programmer and their time.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I asked my dealer about recalibration last week. He told me that they have not had the ability to recalibrate RAMs since about 2014 and that they don't expect FCA to give them that ability. He said that the dealers that are offering it now are likely just purchasing an aftermarket like Rough Country or Hypertech and charging for the programmer and their time.

That would be my expectation but if that’s the case on the Rough Country I am told it is locked to the VIN until you reset to factory. So if that were the case I would expect they would just give it to me. Other than that I would assume there is some sort of “dealer” mode for the Hypertech or Rough Country that you can use over and over.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Price is still holding today at $149.95 with free ground shipping. Just ordered mine.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I went to 35 12.50 18 from the stock 18 inch off road group tires. I was off 8 about percent When I was going 70 my speedometer read between 64 and 65. If you have a smart phone, download a free speedometer app like digihud. Use that to check your speed against your speedometer.

I just ordered the RC speedometer programmer yesterday. Will advise how it works.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
just called my dealer, they said $120 (Canadian) to reprogram the speedo and they can only do certain sizes. So 1 hour labour.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I also just ordered the RC calibrator from Amazon. Local place wanted $300 can for it. Amazon Canada didn't have it. Ended up $230 cdn through Amazon USA shipped. Will pay for it self with 2 tire changes, will be able to sell it down the road when I get rid of the truck.

dhmoore74

Reaction score
mine came in today. Was super easy and quick to recalibrate. Takes less than 5 mins and all done. That simple. Checked it against Waze right after installing new tires and lift today. Speed was off approx 4-5 mph. Got home recalibrated with RC and boom! dead on now with the gps in my phone via Waze. Oh new tires are Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/60 R20

Users who are viewing this thread