5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rough Country 2" leveling kit for air ride

rudders

Reaction score
Looks interesting as I am looking to lift the front on my 2020 Limited but everything I've been reading thus far involves taking stuff apart and opening up your wallet again to put down that Ram hole! Good luck and let us know..

bwsall

Reaction score
Just ordered as well, interested to see how it works!

I should have mine by Monday. Hoping sooner so I can put it on this weekend.

zauggerr

Reaction score
update....

It was a miserable failure. The lift is way to aggressive for stock bags. Basically, “normal “ mode was now as high as “off road 2”. And when I tried going to the next are higher “off road 1”. The bags would be unable to go higher and cause the truck to complain that there was a fault and to get the system serviced ASAP.
I took them off and reinstalled them 3 times and every time same results, basically makes your front end stuck in “off road 2” (as normal) height and disables you the ability to go any higher without maxing out your bags and causing the ECU to complain. Called rough country a few times and they said they would “let R&D know since it’s a new product”

I suggested they make the lift to only 1”, That way you won’t overextend your bags in the higher settings and cause them to not work.

Again, When you tried to go higher than “normal” You could hear the truck giving frontbags more air but it wasn’t moving because it was already at “off road 2” height and they were maxed out, after20 seconds trying the ECU would give up and say air suspension fault etc

kgurtsak

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, sorry for the mess. I am a bit surprised that this was released with these problems, but I kind of expected it to be an issue with the mechanics of what it was doing. I love my 2020 Limited but bummed with the lack of options to do anything with the Air Suspension. The links/spacers is still an option but having a difficult time finding someone to do this since there are no official kits that do this without some kind have major disclaimer about not being responsible for damages. .

I am hoping BDS releases a 4" for the 2020 with Air Ride. I was hoping to not spend that kind of money but seems like it will be the best option. 35"x12.50" is the goal for me. Had them on my 2014 and loved the look.

bwsall

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, sorry for the mess. I am a bit surprised that this was released with these problems, but I kind of expected it to be an issue with the mechanics of what it was doing. I love my 2020 Limited but bummed with the lack of options to do anything with the Air Suspension. The links/spacers is still an option but having a difficult time finding someone to do this since there are no official kits that do this without some kind have major disclaimer about not being responsible for damages. .

I am hoping BDS releases a 4" for the 2020 with Air Ride. I was hoping to not spend that kind of money but seems like it will be the best option. 35"x12.50" is the goal for me. Had them on my 2014 and loved the look.
BDS does offer a 4" lift option now, but it is pricey at $2,400 (plus install cost). I ended up going with the AirLinks from www.airlinksgc.com, and I'm happy with them. They are set at 1.5" already with a simple install. All of the off roads modes work, and I can't tell a difference in ride quality. In the future I may go with the Daystar spacers, but for now the Airlinks seem to work great.

Here is the BDS Kit: https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=2&mo=16&ty=96&yr=2019

kgurtsak

Reaction score
BDS does offer a 4" lift option now, but it is pricey at $2,400 (plus install cost). I ended up going with the AirLinks from www.airlinksgc.com, and I'm happy with them. They are set at 1.5" already with a simple install. All of the off roads modes work, and I can't tell a difference in ride quality. In the future I may go with the Daystar spacers, but for now the Airlinks seem to work great.

Here is the BDS Kit: https://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=2&mo=16&ty=96&yr=2019
What size wheel and tires did you go with? The BDS is for 2019...not sure of the compatibility with the 2020.

Thanks!

bwsall

Reaction score
What size wheel and tires did you go with? The BDS is for 2019...not sure of the compatibility with the 2020.

Thanks!
I'm going with 285/55/22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They arrived this week and I've got an appointment with Discount Tire to get them installed this afternoon. It's like Christmas Day! Just have to get through work today...

bwsall

Reaction score
update....

It was a miserable failure. The lift is way to aggressive for stock bags. Basically, “normal “ mode was now as high as “off road 2”. And when I tried going to the next are higher “off road 1”. The bags would be unable to go higher and cause the truck to complain that there was a fault and to get the system serviced ASAP.
I took them off and reinstalled them 3 times and every time same results, basically makes your front end stuck in “off road 2” (as normal) height and disables you the ability to go any higher without maxing out your bags and causing the ECU to complain. Called rough country a few times and they said they would “let R&D know since it’s a new product”

I suggested they make the lift to only 1”, That way you won’t overextend your bags in the higher settings and cause them to not work.

Again, When you tried to go higher than “normal” You could hear the truck giving frontbags more air but it wasn’t moving because it was already at “off road 2” height and they were maxed out, after20 seconds trying the ECU would give up and say air suspension fault etc
I ended up returning my RC 2" kit for the air suspension. I figured it would be a rough ride and likely result in fault codes when trying to rise to OR1 or 2. I installed Airlinks set at 1.5" height increase. So far the ride is just as good as stock (in my opinion) and I have access to all of the suspension heights.

kgurtsak

Reaction score
I ended up returning my RC 2" kit for the air suspension. I figured it would be a rough ride and likely result in fault codes when trying to rise to OR1 or 2. I installed Airlinks set at 1.5" height increase. So far the ride is just as good as stock (in my opinion) and I have access to all of the suspension heights.
Thanks,

I just ordered the airlinks as well. Goal is 35x12.50 20s.....we shall see.

doolin64

Reaction score

So you you just put a set of front airlinks on and called it a day? Do you have any pictures with your tires installed?

I'm confused why people are adding a daystar spacer if the link does the lift alone?

Huskymush

Reaction score
So you you just put a set of front airlinks on and called it a day? Do you have any pictures with your tires installed?

I'm confused why people are adding a daystar spacer if the link does the lift alone?
It's because of the ride. If you only use the links then it inflates the bags more to give height but in turn stiffens up the ride. If you run the links and the spacers it gives the bags less height to make up and gives you a ride close to factory.

msteiner77

Reaction score

Just ordered the set of 1.5 fronts. Is that all you did, or did you buy the raise front and lower rear set?
Cheers,
M

bwsall

Reaction score

I just put on the airlinks, and did not install the daystar spacer. Like Huskymush mentioned, the daystar spacers give your airbags less height and will improve the ride. For me, with the spacers set at 1.5", I didn't notice much change in the ride. I may eventually put on the daystar spacers, but I'm happy with just the airlinks for now.

Here are some pictures after I got the tires installed.

Truck 1.jpg
Truck 2.jpg
Truck 3.jpg

bwsall

Reaction score
Just ordered the set of 1.5 fronts. Is that all you did, or did you buy the raise front and lower rear set?
Cheers,
M
I just ordered the 1.5" set for the fronts, and did not order the set to lower the rear. There is still a small rake, about 1", but its hard to notice. I also feel like the hoods of the Rams are so big that if you do a true level, the front looks like its higher than the rear (because of the illusion with the hood). I'm happy with just the front links installed.

NewRam92

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Airlinks to the Revel Links? Revel Links are $150 for front, where Airlinks are $54

That's a pretty large difference in price and I'm wondering if there's a difference in quality...

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Airlinks to the Revel Links? Revel Links are $150 for front, where Airlinks are $54

That's a pretty large difference in price and I'm wondering if there's a difference in quality...
just make your own. M6 threaded rod with ends from Lift Support Depot very cheap.

NewRam92

Reaction score
just make your own. M6 threaded rod with ends from Lift Support Depot very cheap.
Appreciate the help, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks buying from someone who has a trusted product than trying to do it myself. Rather not screw up the suspension or cause system faults on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online