5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram owner saying “Hi!”

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
Hello fellow forum members. I have been reading through a lot of the posts here to prepare for the purchase of my new Ram. I brought home my first Ram 1500 on St. Paddy’s day!

I previously had a 2018 F150 XLT with a RC 6” lift and 20” XD with 35s. LOVED the truck, but it was time to upgrade to a “real” truck with 4WD. I purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Sport package (Granite Gray with Chrome wheels, not my favorite). It also has the 6’4” bed, which I was not certain of if I would like it...but now that I have had it a few days, I am glad I went the long bed.

I plan to lift it and replace the wheels tires. Looking at just going to 3.5” lift this time. I also want to install a better exhaust. Not one to tick off the neighbors, but one to give it an extra Growl.

I will post some pics of my truck a bit later today, here in this thread. I am starting review all the posts in the suspension section to read up. Anyone any suggestions on which one to do first? 3.5” lift or Exhaust? I am not sure if I will be able to pull the trigger on wheels and tires at the same time as the lift, so I might have to ride around a bit with the stock 20” wheels and tires (Bridgestone).

Thank you guys!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello fellow forum members. I have been reading through a lot of the posts here to prepare for the purchase of my new Ram. I brought home my first Ram 1500 on St. Paddy’s day!

I previously had a 2018 F150 XLT with a RC 6” lift and 20” XD with 35s. LOVED the truck, but it was time to upgrade to a “real” truck with 4WD. I purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Sport package (Granite Gray with Chrome wheels, not my favorite). It also has the 6’4” bed, which I was not certain of if I would like it...but now that I have had it a few days, I am glad I went the long bed.

I plan to lift it and replace the wheels tires. Looking at just going to 3.5” lift this time. I also want to install a better exhaust. Not one to tick off the neighbors, but one to give it an extra Growl.

I will post some pics of my truck a bit later today, here in this thread. I am starting review all the posts in the suspension section to read up. Anyone any suggestions on which one to do first? 3.5” lift or Exhaust? I am not sure if I will be able to pull the trigger on wheels and tires at the same time as the lift, so I might have to ride around a bit with the stock 20” wheels and tires (Bridgestone).

Thank you guys!
Welcome!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome, glad you are enjoying your new RAM.

You mentioned that you really liked your F150, could you compare the two trucks? I realize theres a 3 year difference and that the 21’ F150 has been updated inside however what do you think of the drivetrains?

Enjoy your modification planning and purchases!

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
Welcome, glad you are enjoying your new RAM.

You mentioned that you really liked your F150, could you compare the two trucks? I realize theres a 3 year difference and that the 21’ F150 has been updated inside however what do you think of the drivetrains?

Enjoy your modification planning and purchases!
Oh, there is NO comparison. Now, this is somewhat subject but here is why I think there is no comparison. I am by no means a truck expert, nor do I need a truck for my daily life. I just like having the ability to sit higher and haul around stuff on the weekend.

Both the F150 and R1500 look great on the outside, I would still give the edge to the 5th Gen RAM. The look is a little more aggressive IMO. It is on the features and the interior that I think pulls the R1500 away from the F150. I even went to look at a few 2021 Ford F150's with 4WD as well.

The Dash, layout etc is TOP notch in the R1500. Granted I got the 12" screen but Ford does NOT even come to close this dash look. The new screens are nice in the 2021 Ford's but no comparison. The appointments around the driver are so much nicer. I feel like I am in a luxury automobile that sits higher and has 4WD. My FAVORITE feature of my Laramie is the reclining seats in the back. I am not sure if the Fords have this..but I was like "wow., now that is cool".

I cant speak to the power of the engine yet compared to the Ford's as my F150 was only 2WD with the 2.7L EcoBoost. I can tell the sounds of the RAM is more "truck" like and it does seem to have a TON of power.

I hope this helps.

TPA-RAM

Reaction score
Here are the pics of the truck as she sits today. The first order of business is:
  1. Remove all the Chrome badges (Front RAM, 1500 eTorque badges on Sport hood), Side RAMs, 4X4 and RAM tailgate)
  2. Remove the Sport sticker on the back (gives me PTSD of my 2WD Sport F150, lol)
  3. Most likely Lift with a 3.5" lift

IMG_3723.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpeg
    IMG_3722.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3719.jpeg
    IMG_3719.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 22

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats on the new truck...Looking good.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh, there is NO comparison. Now, this is somewhat subject but here is why I think there is no comparison. I am by no means a truck expert, nor do I need a truck for my daily life. I just like having the ability to sit higher and haul around stuff on the weekend.

Both the F150 and R1500 look great on the outside, I would still give the edge to the 5th Gen RAM. The look is a little more aggressive IMO. It is on the features and the interior that I think pulls the R1500 away from the F150. I even went to look at a few 2021 Ford F150's with 4WD as well.

The Dash, layout etc is TOP notch in the R1500. Granted I got the 12" screen but Ford does NOT even come to close this dash look. The new screens are nice in the 2021 Ford's but no comparison. The appointments around the driver are so much nicer. I feel like I am in a luxury automobile that sits higher and has 4WD. My FAVORITE feature of my Laramie is the reclining seats in the back. I am not sure if the Fords have this..but I was like "wow., now that is cool".

I cant speak to the power of the engine yet compared to the Ford's as my F150 was only 2WD with the 2.7L EcoBoost. I can tell the sounds of the RAM is more "truck" like and it does seem to have a TON of power.

I hope this helps.
Good comparison, in the end its what you like however it may certainly help a person who is “still on the fence”.

moparleo51

Reaction score
welcome, and congrats, i too have the granite color now, as i traded in my19 black ram bighorn in for this 2021 night edition laramie. this will give you an idea of your truck once you black it all out. p.s i have the 2inch bilstein level and oem black rebel wheels on at this time.

Attachments

• 20210303_144753.jpg
    20210303_144753.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread