5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RAM owner, crappy tires on 2019 1500 limited 22"

caseyj

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new RAM owner (first time RAM owner), just purchased a 2019 1500 Limited with 22" wheels. The stock that came with the truck were Eagle Touring wheels, that I quickly found out suck on ice and snow. (Bad thing for a RAM owner that lives in Colorado!)

What have you all swapped your tires to be on this model? I'm looking at Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's or Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
Replaced my Factory tires with
Hancook and had them on my 4th Gen also
I run studs on my other Ram in the winter

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new RAM owner (first time RAM owner), just purchased a 2019 1500 Limited with 22" wheels. The stock that came with the truck were Eagle Touring wheels, that I quickly found out suck on ice and snow. (Bad thing for a RAM owner that lives in Colorado!)

What have you all swapped your tires to be on this model? I'm looking at Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's or Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I have the Wrangler Fortitude HTs on mine and I have to say that they’re not that great in the snow. Average at best.

redbranch

Reaction score
I've been running the Michelin Defender LTX/MS tires on the GMC Sierra I'm trading in, and have been very happy with them, and I live in snow country, on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

drsubie

Reaction score
It's funny that you thought the OEM tires were that bad--I just made a thread about how good I thought they handled our snow in Seattle--we had gotten like 5" and my truck plowed up fresh snow without problems. It was only when snow turned to slush during a warm break that it had some trouble...

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome, as said above. Those tires out of their for made conditions are a issue

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny that you thought the OEM tires were that bad--I just made a thread about how good I thought they handled our snow in Seattle--we had gotten like 5" and my truck plowed up fresh snow without problems. It was only when snow turned to slush during a warm break that it had some trouble...
I know for me, living in the Northeast, our snow tends to be very wet and heavy. The OEM tires (Good Year Fortitude HT) were only OK. We did get one storm that was light, fluffy snow and they performed much better.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the 22’s are also going to present a weak point. They look great but you need more tire and tread for snow. I think smaller wheels also ride better IMO. I know it’s not what you want to hear but maybe pick yourself up smaller wheels for the winter and get yourself some meatier A/T tires. Then you can rotate between them and your 22’s (for nicer weather)

FishNitro

Reaction score
I think the 22’s are also going to present a weak point. They look great but you need more tire and tread for snow. I think smaller wheels also ride better IMO. I know it’s not what you want to hear but maybe pick yourself up smaller wheels for the winter and get yourself some meatier A/T tires. Then you can rotate between them and your 22’s (for nicer weather)

If someone is going to go the route of extra wheels why not skip the “AT” style tires and go with a dedicated winter tire. The difference between a traditional all terrain and a true winter tire in the snow is massive.

FWIW we had some snow in New England yesterday and i had no issue getting around in it with mine. I have the factory 22’s and the Eagles tours. My concern is more along the lines of how long will they last because my track record with Goodyear’s have not been very good....

Johnvan

Reaction score
A smaller set of steel rims and dedicated winter tires doesn't really cost much more in the long run.

You're still only running on 4 at a time. :D

Pitcom

Reaction score

I had 22's on my silverado ltz for 11 years. That truck was a joy to drive, and was fantastic in the snow. I had 305/45/22 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires and had no problem in 30+" of snow. Sadly Pirelli stopped offering that tire in that particular size, and I had to switch to Yokohama Parada spec-x. Those too were a very comfortable ride however the tread life was abysmal and you would only get about 20,000 miles a tire on them. They also performed well in the snow.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Old thread but I will 2nd the Pirelli’s. My 2014 Ford Edge AWD has had 2 sets and they do very well in snow. A true “snowflake” tire, not all-seasons that have the M_S stamped on the sidewall...

Firebird

Reaction score
I love the stock tires, they are incredibly quiet too. However, I live in Florida, so my needs are much different.

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_150120.jpg
    IMG_20190617_150120.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 113

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
A smaller set of steel rims and dedicated winter tires doesn't really cost much more in the long run.

You're still only running on 4 at a time. :D
Then you have the tpms hassle.
i haven’t concerned myself with tire swap thoughts due to Raleigh NC not really needing it however when my 14’ Edge came with 20’s (Pirelli Scorpion “snowflake”snow tires were on it) I was a bit perturbed however they really aren’t that noisy and do quite well in slushy snow and rain too. As a matter of fact Tire Rack rates them 9/10...

Users who are viewing this thread