5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ram 1500 Owner...need help with a problem

jshabouk

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I bought my first Ram 1500 a couple weeks ago, but it is already at the dealership for a weird issue. I bought a 2021 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi, eTorque system - great truck, LOVE it. It also has the auto stop-start system in it to save gas (supposedly) :) .

Here's the issue...when I got it, the auto stop-start button on the transmission shifter lit up with a yellow indicator on the bottom of the button whenever I pressed that button and turned off the system. However, it recently stopped working. I brought it back to the dealership and they replaced the shifter unit (where the button lives as shown below in the picture...but the activation light will still not come on. The system turns off with the button, but it does not indicate that it is off via the button light.

Picture is attached of the transmission shifter unit (button is on the bottom). There is a notch in the bottom of the button that should be illuminated when activated.

shifter (2).jpg

They have now kept the vehicle to open a case with the engineers as this is an odd one and it still occurs with the new unit. All conditions are being met for the system to be turned off, but the yellow light will not come on even when it is turned off.

Any ideas on what this could be? Has anyone else had this issue???

Thanks,

Joe

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve read that the 2021‘s don’t light up so if they replaced yours with the new version that would explain it .
welcome to the forum .

jshabouk

Reaction score
I also found this...I can't find a resolution, but it looks like it has been documented. Anyone?

2021 RAM 1500 electrical system TSB (Bulletin S2008000183)​

Bulletin Date:Nov. 20, 2020
Component:Electrical system.
Bulletin Summary:The stop/start (ess) off switch does not illuminate when pressed
Vehicles covered in this TSB:2021 RAM 1500.

Awood05

Reaction score
There was another thread on this topic recently. Supposedly RAM Is aware of the issue and a software update is supposed to be released this month. Most people who responded to the news of an update seemed skeptical. I’m new to the RAM brand so I’m not sure what will happen. I’ll keep my eye on it because my truck has the exact same issue.

robwah

Reaction score
Any update to this? I am still waiting to have mine reprogrammed per the maintenance bulletin

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it previously lit up, then stopped, and a new switch bank didn't solve it, then one would think the wiring harness is to blame.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Off the lot my has never lit up when pressed - thought it was strange but it was not a concern. If the dash light comes on and the truck stops then I know its on. Simple enough.
But if it is supposed to light up then with price paid for the truck it should light up. Or put an indicator on the dash somewhere.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You are letting them keep your truck because a button doesn't light up and they don't know why? You know it's just sitting on the lot while they work on money repairs right?

Users who are viewing this thread