5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7 only getting 9-10 mpg!

chloelight

Reaction score
Hi you all. New RAM owner here. I own a 2019 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Laramie Sport. Recently I have been getting 9-10mpg on the highway and in the city. It is driving me crazy. I recently did a road trip (towing 4,000lbs) and that's when I noticed it changed. Even though I am not towing now the mpg has stayed the same. Before I towed I was only getting 12 mpg. I have the 21-gallon fuel tank and have to fill it up every 2.5 hours! So, I would love your opinions- should I add an additional tank? How can I fix this issue? Or should I just get a different truck or model and trade this one in?

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i run mid-grade citgo or mobil gettn 15-16 city 20-22 highway, somethings not right with ur Hemi..

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you haven’t reset your fuel economy average on the screen it’s going to stay low after a trip towing and getting low fuel economy. Have you reset it since you got back?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
If it's a brand new truck, mpg will get better as the engine breaks-in...thru 10,000 & more in my exp. Also an oil change ~2K to full syn will give a slight bump (I do this in case there's any metal particles from break-in of new engine in the oil). Next oil change (~10k) can give another little bump. (Admittedly I "over-change" mine because whats the harm and its easy)

Main thing is u have a ~400hp/torque hemi...enjoy it instead of sweating the mpg. It's a V8 truck dont expect V6 mpg and dont believe every mpg someone says they're getting. Just my $0.02

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's good...I get 8-10 city (I have a stupid-short commute...) :oops:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're relying on the fuel mileage calculated by the trip computer and not hand calculated. If so, I think ColoradoCub nailed it.
Just to clarify, you don't have a 21 gallon tank. The only tank sizes available for a 2019 Ram 1500 were 23, 26, or 33 gallons.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The onboard computer for me is within .1 of my fuel app...so I think it is pretty accurate.

FYI I get 13-14 MPG and I have about 5600 miles on the truck now. Almost all city driving though.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, reset your computer and try to take it little easy and see where you can be. The Hemi acts like a turbo motor when it comes to fuel economy. Which means it actually gets decent mpg when taking it easy, but gulps down fuel when on throttle. It can be a huge variance depending on how discipline you are with the throttle.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As SD Rebel said, your driving habits can play a huge role in the mpg you see. There are also other factors such as does the truck have any type of lift and/or larger tires? Being a 2019, was the truck purchased new or used? If it was purchased used, you unfortunately don’t know how the previous owner treated the truck (driving habits, etc.).

bobf5761

Reaction score
Hi you all. New RAM owner here. I own a 2019 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Laramie Sport. Recently I have been getting 9-10mpg on the highway and in the city. It is driving me crazy. I recently did a road trip (towing 4,000lbs) and that's when I noticed it changed. Even though I am not towing now the mpg has stayed the same. Before I towed I was only getting 12 mpg. I have the 21-gallon fuel tank and have to fill it up every 2.5 hours! So, I would love your opinions- should I add an additional tank? How can I fix this issue? Or should I just get a different truck or model and trade this one in?
i am having same issue. 2019 ram rebel 5.7, Iam only getting 7.5mpg and 180 miles per tank. Iam thinking I should have kept my 2016 big horn 5.7, i was getting 400 plus per tank

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Letting it warm up every time you drive it? Giving it lots of gas from starts? Did you lift or change tires?

It all affects the computer generated estimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread