5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New purchase worried. If im making a mistake.

ErikB

Reaction score
Im buying a New 19 Ram 1500 Crew 5.7 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi ETorque with 3.92 limited slip eear with the 18 inch wheels and im so worried it wont tow my GVWR camper or 8600lbs. I have always owned diesels and need advice. Thanks

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Erik....I'd suggest taking a look at the forums on towing we have, as there have been some discussions about this (and more about payload reductions). Your truck should be rated to tow the 8600 lbs but you'll want to ensure that you have enough payload for everything else that might go with it. THere are definitely people here with more information that me that will help (I'm towing about 6000 with mine)

https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/towing.10/

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im buying a New 19 Ram 1500 Crew 5.7 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi ETorque with 3.92 limited slip eear with the 18 inch wheels and im so worried it wont tow my GVWR camper or 8600lbs. I have always owned diesels and need advice. Thanks
Yep @202snowman is right as long as you added the 3.92 gears you’ll be ok with the max tow number, but it’s your payload you’ll have to watch then. I tow a trailer with a similar weight but a heavy tongue weight. It’s going to be real tight for me to stay under GVWR depending on how heavy my options are and how much they reduce payload.

You should have a tongue weight 10-15% of your trailer weight, so 860-1290. If you are at the upper end you’ll be close to max payload and thus GVWR like me.

Good news with a BigHorn you have fewer heavy options... is the truck on the lot? Take a pic of the door sticker with the payload rating and post it here. Hope for 1600 or so. Laramie’s are hitting around 1400, Limiteds 1400 or lower.

fish mojo

Reaction score
Your payload is going to be around 1400. You would want a maximum tongue weight on your trailer around 800-850. Can you get a tongue weight of your existing trailer?

ErikB

Reaction score
Yep @202snowman is right as long as you added the 3.92 gears you’ll be ok with the max tow number, but it’s your payload you’ll have to watch then. I tow a trailer with a similar weight but a heavy tongue weight. It’s going to be real tight for me to stay under GVWR depending on how heavy my options are and how much they reduce payload.

You should have a tongue weight 10-15% of your trailer weight, so 860-1290. If you are at the upper end you’ll be close to max payload and thus GVWR like me.

Good news with a BigHorn you have fewer heavy options... is the truck on the lot? Take a pic of the door sticker with the payload rating and post it here. Hope for 1600 or so. Laramie’s are hitting around 1400, Limiteds 1400 or lower.

Attachments

• 20180912_203228.jpg
    20180912_203228.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 19

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks im a little over 1600 for cargo etc
>1600 NICE! Say 900 for tongue weight leaves you 700+ for people/cargo. More people should be balanced by less cargo in the truck/bed.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@ErikB that is one of the best payloads so far. @Laz and @Ksilva211 are two who have towed pretty heavy already.

Hope it works out for you, I got too much payload, so the only 1500 for me would be a tradesman and that is cutting it close.

Last edited:

ErikB

Reaction score
Well i bought omg i love it ........Been a diesel fan for yeare with a weigjt kit i have i think i should not have any problem with a heavy load that i dont pull that much maybe 3 times a year. My Boats thats not gonna be a problem either. Looks a little weird with the huge cab and 5.7 bed. The drive and the interior makes up i do believe.

Attachments

• 20180912_193640.jpg
    20180912_193640.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180912_203259.jpg
    20180912_203259.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

ErikB

Reaction score
>1600 NICE! Say 900 for tongue weight leaves you 700+ for people/cargo. More people should be balanced by less cargo in the truck/bed.

Ya im so happy i went and took it home god i love it the ETorque i think geels diff then the std hemi since i drove both love love love it . Thanks for the help

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well i bought omg i love it ........Been a diesel fan for yeare with a weigjt kit i have i think i should not have any problem with a heavy load that i dont pull that much maybe 3 times a year. My Boats thats not gonna be a problem either. Looks a little weird with the huge cab and 5.7 bed. The drive and the interior makes up i do believe.
Awesome keep us posted. Hope it works well for you

ErikB

Reaction score
@ErikB that is one of the best payloads so far. @Laz and @Ksilva211 are two who have towed pretty heavy already.

Hope it works out for you, I got too much payload, so the only 1500 for me would be a tradesman and that is cutting it close.

Thanke i was shocked to see that number wonder why its so high its pretty loaded less leather . It has spary in liner the etorque and all. That will tow 9000 easy if i take my time

ErikB

Reaction score
Awesome keep us posted. Hope it works well for you

Sure will and thanks for the help. Im shocked its so high of a payload with the etorque and i have to say indrove the non and i think it does make a diff but it may not off the line.

Rebelliii3

Reaction score

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited 4X4 with air ride suspension, 3.92 rear as well. Mine is set up with the towing upgrades, flip up tow mirrors, 220 amp alternator, upgrade radiator, will tow 11340lbs, my travel trailer is 7400lbs and pulls it with no problem. Fuel mileage is about 9 to 12 a gallon depending on speed and hills. You can also check your towing capacity on the Ram web site under Towing capabilities and enter your VIN.

ErikB

Reaction score
Your payload is going to be around 1400. You would want a maximum tongue weight on your trailer around 800-850. Can you get a tongue weight of your existing trailer?

Its a little over 1600 payload on sticker i posted . Im shocked and happy lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanke i was shocked to see that number wonder why its so high its pretty loaded less leather . It has spary in liner the etorque and all. That will tow 9000 easy if i take my time
Welcome to the site also, and thanks for joining.

We have quite a few people working on this as alot had this concern.

I have a few threads about it, @Zeronet has broke down the weights of options pretty well and a few have given pretty good reviews of how this 5th Gen tows.

Check out the towing forum if you haven't...and be sure to keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited 4X4 with air ride suspension, 3.92 rear as well. Mine is set up with the towing upgrades, flip up tow mirrors, 220 amp alternator, upgrade radiator, will tow 11340lbs, my travel trailer is 7400lbs and pulls it with no problem. Fuel mileage is about 9 to 12 a gallon depending on speed and hills. You can also check your towing capacity on the Ram web site under Towing capabilities and enter your VIN.
Thanks for letting us know about your trailer setup. Please be sure to post some pics and more info in the towing section.

The Ram payload and towing configurature is very optomistic...especially on the limited. One person was rated at 1750 for payload...only to find it they only had 1130 for real.

ErikB

Reaction score
Welcome to the site also, and thanks for joining.

We have quite a few people working on this as alot had this concern.

I have a few threads about it, @Zeronet has broke down the weights of options pretty well and a few have given pretty good reviews of how this 5th Gen tows.

Check out the towing forum if you haven't...and be sure to keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks.

Glad to be here and ya i broght it home tonight after i saw i was over 1600 payload so i was happy. I love the etorque drove the std before i left and i swear the etorque put me in my seat when taking off and revs seem higher not wanting to beat it yet lol but i may be crazy i think its noticable.

Laz

Reaction score
Cong
Congratulations

Users who are viewing this thread