5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New possible buyer here. Can anyone chime in on some questions I have?

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I'm considering a RAM and I just have some questions.

-Is the air suspension worth it? I'm considering a Rebel and want to see if this is worth looking into. Pros/cons?

-Why does the rebel not come (as an option) with some of the safety features the other models offer? I.E: Adaptive cruise, parallel parking assist, etc... Can a dealer force these options to be added?

-What mapping software does the RAM come with? I assume it's not Google Maps.

-Panoramic sunroof. Is it worth it? I really want one, but I keep hearing that it's nothing but issues down the road. Thoughts?

Thanks

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I'm considering a RAM and I just have some questions.

-Is the air suspension worth it? I'm considering a Rebel and want to see if this is worth looking into. Pros/cons?

-Why does the rebel not come (as an option) with some of the safety features the other models offer? I.E: Adaptive cruise, parallel parking assist, etc... Can a dealer force these options to be added?

-Panoramic sunroof. Is it worth it? I really want one, but I keep hearing that it's nothing but issues down the road. Thoughts?

Thanks
I can't comment on Rebel-specific features. However, in the interest of avoiding duplication of info:

Regarding the air suspension, please search these forums. Here are just a few examples of existing threads:
Air suspension or not
Standard Coil vs. Air Suspension - my back to back review FWIW
Air Suspension

I believe UConnect uses HERE for navigation maps. I mostly use Google Maps via CarPlay.

And here's a thread about the panoramic sunroof.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with Speedy about reading up. It really had to be your decision. Those threads will help you decide by giving you lots to think about.

My opinions and strictly my opinions, for what they are worth.

- air suspension. Not worth it. If you’re towing a lot, different story. Otherwise works great without it. Why spend the money and have something else that can go wrong.

- map software always better on your phone. Stays up to date. CarPlay rocks (when it’s working).

- glad I got the Rebel. Has everything I wanted and left out the stuff I don’t need or want. Maybe I would have gone with the 12” screen.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an extremely satisfied Rebel owner, I agree the air ride is really for specific needs and is a very personal choice. But because you asked... the coils are fantastic and incredibly easy to play around with leveling and wheel/tire combos. Air ride is extremely limited and expensive to mod.

LOVE my pano roof, zero issues, use it constantly. Do the reading and know what to look for if buying on the lot... drain plugs, wet carpets and etc.

And as for safety... for me, every vehicle I've driven with all the bells and whistles gets annoying as hell and I found I was spending a few minutes every time I went anywhere disabling all of it. BUT, had the options been ala cart, I would have paid the premium for the adaptive cruise control. But that wasn't a deal breaker just a "what if".
Good luck!

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Everyone,
thank you for your input. I will search deeper into these forums. What I just found, doing my searching, is that RAM offers some great tech features, but not in the Rebel. It really tore me because I love the look of the rebel, but wish it offered some of the safety and creature comforts of the others.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
As an extremely satisfied Rebel owner, I agree the air ride is really for specific needs and is a very personal choice. But because you asked... the coils are fantastic and incredibly easy to play around with leveling and wheel/tire combos. Air ride is extremely limited and expensive to mod.

LOVE my pano roof, zero issues, use it constantly. Do the reading and know what to look for if buying on the lot... drain plugs, wet carpets and etc.

And as for safety... for me, every vehicle I've driven with all the bells and whistles gets annoying as hell and I found I was spending a few minutes every time I went anywhere disabling all of it. BUT, had the options been ala cart, I would have paid the premium for the adaptive cruise control. But that wasn't a deal breaker just a "what if".
Good luck!
VD; Thank you for the input. I'm not familiar at all with the drain plugs, wet carpets issue you are mentioning. Maybe a separate topic?

Jackham

Reaction score
I well remember when everyone doubted the air bag. Get every safety feature you can.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
I agree with Speedy about reading up. It really had to be your decision. Those threads will help you decide by giving you lots to think about.

My opinions and strictly my opinions, for what they are worth.

- air suspension. Not worth it. If you’re towing a lot, different story. Otherwise works great without it. Why spend the money and have something else that can go wrong.

- map software always better on your phone. Stays up to date. CarPlay rocks (when it’s working).

- glad I got the Rebel. Has everything I wanted and left out the stuff I don’t need or want. Maybe I would have gone with the 12” screen.

Isn't the 12inch screen only available with the 6 cylinders?

brewdad

Reaction score
Isn't the 12inch screen only available with the 6 cylinders?
no--were you checking quad cab or crew cab? On the Ram build site, I just configured a Rebel quad cab and crew cab with v8 and Rebel 12 package which included leather seats and 12" screen or the 12" screen can be selected as stand alone option for $2,095 U.S.

Last edited:

Truckin

Reaction score
Personally, I am not a fan of air suspension...However, there are more than a few Limited owners who would disagree :) I would suggest you research both-there are many threads on pros/cons, drive both, decide how you plan to use your truck and what/if any mods you plan.

Dealer cannot 'force' options not listed per model...at least not yet.

So far I have been very happy with the map software. Normally I would say phone software would be better and in most cases it probably is, however I used the Ram Nav software to find a new clients home in the sticks and one of my guys used google maps and he got lost and I didn't...

As for the Pano roof...I love mine! That and the 12" screen are two of my favorite options. Now for sunroof issues, 5 of my last 6 trucks came with sunroofs and nary a problem.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but when u spec my rebel and add the screen, it forces me to remove the V8.

But, I think ultimately, I might not pick a rebel as the creature comforts of the other trims are a bit enticing. Living in a hot and humid state, cooled seats for starters are a big one. And since most of my driving is highway, the adaptive cruise does make it less painful .

Ideally I think getting the rebels wheels and front grill would win me. But I believe only the wheels are transplant able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you gentleman.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but when u spec my rebel and add the screen, it forces me to remove the V8.

But, I think ultimately, I might not pick a rebel as the creature comforts of the other trims are a bit enticing. Living in a hot and humid state, cooled seats for starters are a big one. And since most of my driving is highway, the adaptive cruise does make it less painful .

Ideally I think getting the rebels wheels and front grill would win me. But I believe only the wheels are transplant able.

I saw that in the configurator a while back. But the configurator is notorious for having errors. The only way to check is to have a dealer build out your desired combination in the order portal.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman.

I think you are on the right track. Although the Rebel grill might not be transplantable, there are other aftermarket grills available also to give it a different look than regular.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
I saw that in the configurator a while back. But the configurator is notorious for having errors. The only way to check is to have a dealer build out your desired combination in the order portal.
Speedy, what lights do the Laramie come with? The dealer told me they are not the same as the Rebel or Limited. Wondering if they are still high quality.

Thanks Folks.

sweetwater

Reaction score

I have a Limited and am loving it. the suspension has come in handy multiple times already and the panoramic sunroof is worth every penny. unfortunately I have to sell mine because of a new job assignment which has me putting on too many miles. if you're interested in a 2019 limited with 19k miles for a sweet deal, let me know. my advice to you is to spend the extra money to get the better options - you'll kick yourself later if you didn't spend a few extra bucks to do it.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
I have a Limited and am loving it. the suspension has come in handy multiple times already and the panoramic sunroof is worth every penny. unfortunately I have to sell mine because of a new job assignment which has me putting on too many miles. if you're interested in a 2019 limited with 19k miles for a sweet deal, let me know. my advice to you is to spend the extra money to get the better options - you'll kick yourself later if you didn't spend a few extra bucks to do it.
Thanks man! I wish I could consider but at the moment, I'm trying to sell my Camaro first. Best of luck selling and hope to see you back on the forums!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Speedy, what lights do the Laramie come with? The dealer told me they are not the same as the Rebel or Limited. Wondering if they are still high quality.

Thanks Folks.
The Limited and (Laramie) Longhorn have a unique “bi-function” steering-directed LED lighting package. I believe both the Laramie and Rebel have a beefier-looking LED reflector headlight design. Both types of LEDs are said to be very good, so it’s a matter of preference.

5thgenram1989

Reaction score
The Limited and (Laramie) Longhorn have a unique “bi-function” steering-directed LED lighting package. I believe both the Laramie and Rebel have a beefier-looking LED reflector headlight design. Both types of LEDs are said to be very good, so it’s a matter of preference.
Sounds good. You're a scholar!

Users who are viewing this thread